do you hate the Jeebus?

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
petition to tax the churches

[h=1]Enforce federal 501(c)(3) regulations by removing the tax-exempt status from churches that engage in political activity.[/h] Since 2008, pastors of some churches have openly supported and advocated specific political candidates in sermons to members in early October in an event referred to as "Pulpit Freedom Sunday". According to Reuters, videos of these sermons are sent to the offices of the IRS.
According to section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, the provision of the tax code from which these churches derive their tax-exempt status, a compliant organization must not "participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of ... any candidate for public office."
The IRS has failed to remove the tax-exempt status of these churches despite their violations of tax code. This must change, and the law must be applied equally to everyone.
Created: Jun 23, 2012
Issues: Budget and Taxes, Civil Rights and Liberties
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
If I gotta pay taxes, these other groups should have to pay taxes.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I agree with the sentiment, but let's be honest.

1. Online petitions are shit.

2. A petition on whitehouse.gov is going to be soundly ignored. These people don't give a fuck what you think.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Forget just churches, tax all religious institutions. While we are at it, make sure the people that donate to religious institutions have the tax exemption removed for their donations to said institutions. Get that done and watch the deficit start to disappear.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
Are you afraid to write 'Jesus' because you're still afraid you'll be punished for blasphemy?
Like somehow when all is said and done and you're standing there in judgment about to go to hell, he'll go 'Well fuck, Negro, you just said 'Jeebus,' my bad.'

So is it:
A: You're trying to skirt the blasphemy rules by saying a cutesified version of the name the son of god or
B: You're just copying stupid hipsters who are trying to skirt blasphemy rules by saying a cutesfied version of the name of the son of god?

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
Are you afraid to write 'Jesus' because you're still afraid you'll be punished for blasphemy?
Like somehow when all is said and done and you're standing there in judgment about to go to hell, he'll go 'Well fuck, Negro, you just said 'Jeebus,' my bad.'

So is it:
A: You're trying to skirt the blasphemy rules by saying a cutesified version of the name the son of god or
B: You're just copying stupid hipsters who are trying to skirt blasphemy rules by saying a cutesfied version of the name of the son of god?
I vote C: You're copying an old Simpsons episode.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey

So is it:
Or 3. He is Homer Simpson

[video=youtube;PVwCYJj4THQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVwCYJj4THQ[/video]

Edit: Dammit, LDM. I lost time googling the clip.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
they absolutely should be taxed

If they are legitimate charities then they should get that status.

If a church owns their building, they don't have to pay property tax, but if the Salvation Army rents a building, the owner of that building has to pay property tax - this isn't right.

The solution, all real property should be taxed, even gov't property

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
they absolutely should be taxed

If they are legitimate charities then they should get that status.

If a church owns their building, they don't have to pay property tax, but if the Salvation Army rents a building, the owner of that building has to pay property tax - this isn't right.

The solution, all real property should be taxed, even gov't property
You had me up until the last part. Im not paying taxes so that a government building can pay itself back.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Forget just churches, tax all religious institutions. While we are at it, make sure the people that donate to religious institutions have the tax exemption removed for their donations to said institutions. Get that done and watch the deficit start to disappear.
You could take every piece of gold in the Vatican and it wouldn't make a dent in the deficit/debt. Pretending we can make up new people to tax (churches, drug users) in order to excuse reckless spending is crazy talk.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
I vote C: You're copying an old Simpsons episode.
Or 3. He is Homer Simpson

Edit: Dammit, LDM. I lost time googling the clip.
Point made.
I just think that you should either have the balls to say 'Jesus Christ, Alleged Son of God sucks a dick' because there is no god and no judgment, or if there is a god and judgment, then you're not going to get out of it by saying 'But I was quoting the Simpsons.'

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
You had me up until the last part. Im not paying taxes so that a government building can pay itself back.
I know, but the fed gov't has all kinds of property in states and local govt's that isn't taxed. The National gov't owns most of the South West

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
You could take every piece of gold in the Vatican and it wouldn't make a dent in the deficit/debt. Pretending we can make up new people to tax (churches, drug users) in order to excuse reckless spending is crazy talk.
Never said that it was the magic solution, just that it would be a start. I understand that spending is out of control, but this thread is about taxing churches, not spending reform.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Churches do a lot of charitable things. Why shouldn't people who donate to them get the same benefits as if they donated to the Make-A-Wish foundation?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio

property taxes (in this country) are used to fund local gov'ts. Half of Wilkes-Barre city isn't taxed because its all schools, gov't buildings, and religious

Like I said if they own the property they don't have to pay taxes on it, but if they rent the property the owner has to pay tax on it. I'm just saying treat all property the same

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Churches do a lot of charitable things. Why shouldn't people who donate to them get the same benefits as if they donated to the Make-A-Wish foundation?

Make-A-Wish has to pay property taxes on property that they own

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland

So is it:
....arte thou serial?

I deny the existence of the holy spirit.

that more what you're looking for?

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Because Jebus. Do people that donate to Scientology get the exemption? What happens when a church takes the charitable donations of its parishioners and builds a church the size of a shopping mall? Its got to be one or the other, unless you want to make the tax code another thousand pages long.

Edit: Also religious institutions arent set up to be charitable, they just happen to be charitable at times. Big difference between the two.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
Never said that it was the magic solution, just that it would be a start. I understand that spending is out of control, but this thread is about taxing churches, not spending reform.
fletcher
keeps threads on track​
....arte thou serial?

I deny the existence of the holy spirit.

that more what you're looking for?
People just pussy out with the "Jeebus" nonsense, was just wondering what your gig was, that's all.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Point made.
I just think that you should either have the balls to say 'Jesus Christ, Alleged Son of God sucks a dick' because there is no god and no judgment, or if there is a god and judgment, then you're not going to get out of it by saying 'But I was quoting the Simpsons.'

Its always been my experience that any time a bunch of people have to say someone is great, then that person usually isn't great.

I like to tell Bible Bangers (most of whom have no concept that other religions exist) that their bible, that they claim is the word of god has been translated multiple times before it was written in a language that they understand & that there have to have been mistakes made in the translation and as a result of this, all this time they've been acting against gods plan, how else can you explain all the wars, famine, disease, earthquakes, floods, tornados, hurricanes, typhons, tsunamis, economy problems, legal problems, family problems, etc... that affect them