TV Doctor Who

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Apparently season three starts on the 31st. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Also, season one has finally filtered down to PBS, so DW will be back on broadcast after a decade. (At least in April here in NYC)

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Already got the first 2 seasons on DVD. And I'm waiting for the torrents to hit after season 3 premieres in the UK.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Well, I meant aside from you, of course. ;)

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Can't wait for season 3. This next season should be awesome.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I'm personally wanting to see some Gallifreyans popup somewhere. Maybe not classic characters, but some others beside him.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I don't keep up with OG anymore, so......what?

Is it that that Rani rumour again? I thought that was debunked.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Can you hear me sighing way out where you are? :icon_roll

They are really toying with a jump the shark moment there. I want the series to last beyond a few seasons with characters that aren't so two dimensional. :(

Well, it had better be Anthony Stewart Head if they're gonna do it ;)

MilkmanDan

Uncontrollable Urge
Jan 13, 2003
Philly
Radioguy said:

They are really toying with a jump the shark moment there. I want the series to last beyond a few seasons with characters that aren't so two dimensional. :(

Hey maybe they'll bring back Eric Roberts in the role :icon_lol:
Loved season 1 with Eccleston, not so much a fan of the new guy.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
MilkmanDan said:
Eccleston went on to play the invisible guy on Heroes. I am looking forward to season 3...I as not happy to see Rose replaced with a new rose...This, although intriguing seems to be a ploy to save money...They hire an actor for 1 season and then boot them and sign another cheapie..

Dec 18, 2005
Huntington, New York
Season one was great. It was a shame Eccleston is gone because I just started getting into the show and he's a fantastic actor.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Really enjoyed Eccleston - he played a really dark and troubled version of the Doctor. Would have like to see him continue on.

David Tennant is good, but much more in the vein of previous Doctors. Interestingly, he's really Scottish, so he's putting on an English accent for the role.

Billie Piper (Rose) chose to leave. I've seen a number of interviews where she said she was tired of living in Cardiff after two yeears and wanted to move on to other things. I think the producers would have been more than happy to have her stay on.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Radioguy said:

I think they'll make him a bit more fleshed-out this time. Consider that he'd be the only other surviving Time Lord . . . and what that'll do to the character dynamics.

And the rumored casting is John Simm from Life on Mars. He'll definitely be in it, but there's questions as to who he'll be playing.

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
Just got back into the Doctor last year again. I like how Tennent plays the Doctor. Looking forward to the next season.

Cybouncer

Not Fat, Big Boned!
Feb 26, 2006
Long Island, NY
I too really liked Eccleston as the Dr. He may be one of my favorite Dr's out of all of them.

I liked Rose (Billie Piper) too. Hopefully they go with someone hotter and with better teeth.

I liked season 1 much better than season 2 though.

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I really liked Billie Piper and will miss her. Eccleston was great, but I liked Tennant as well, and at this point, I think as long as they keep the stories good, the show should stay a lot of fun-

I've been watching the BBC Robin Hood of late too, to tide me over until the Doc returns...anyone else watching it?

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Cybouncer said:
I liked Rose (Billie Piper) too. Hopefully they go with someone hotter and with better teeth.
your asking alot out of British Casting Offices there buddy

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
MilkmanDan said:
Ugh. If not for him, McGann might have had a shot at a series. (IMO, anyhow)

TreeFortRichard said:
Eccleston went on to play the invisible guy on Heroes. I am looking forward to season 3...I as not happy to see Rose replaced with a new rose...This, although intriguing seems to be a ploy to save money...They hire an actor for 1 season and then boot them and sign another cheapie..
No, she and Chris wanted to leave. I was pissed off at him for awhile, but I think he made the right choice for his career. As good as DW is, Heroes gets him more exposure.

thelord68 said:
David Tennant is good, but much more in the vein of previous Doctors. Interestingly, he's really Scottish, so he's putting on an English accent for the role.
I have even more respect for Sylvester McCoy now. :)

mascan42 said:
I think they'll make him a bit more fleshed-out this time. Consider that he'd be the only other surviving Time Lord . . . and what that'll do to the character dynamics.
Well, I hope that's not the case. They really ought to bring back a more obscure Timelord as an appetizer, so to speak. ;)

I also cannot imagine anyone making the character theirs again. Delgado is the definitive incarnation. He was given little beyond the Moriarty template, and gave us someone who felt like a real individual. Ainley gave it a shot and was decent, but could not compare. Even if we had Head, I just can't see this being a good idea. The interplay between Pertwee and Delgado was a high point that just hasn't been reached since, and that was a looooooong time ago. You'd have to delve into the deep non-canonical "history" that's been envisioned by some of the novel authors to "flesh him out", and that's gonna piss off some fans too. You might as well as regenerate him into somone totally different looking, with a new motivation. (Julian Sands comes to mind as a possible choice)

mascan42 said:
And the rumored casting is John Simm from Life on Mars. He'll definitely be in it, but there's questions as to who he'll be playing.
Well, to play "this" character, is equally as risky as playing the Doctor himself. He may not take the leap.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Masterpiece Theatre had some period drama with her in it a few weeks ago, I'm sure she'll be ok.

Radioguy

Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Well, everybody does those at some point over there. Tennant did a few, including Russell T Davies' "Casanova".

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
More like Dr. Who Cares
*wacky horn*
Really bad show.