TV Doctor Who

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Really, with video of everything you wanna see at a con making it out online, the con-exclusive merch is the only thing that makes me think of going to any, and I still haven't.

Meeting these folks after performances for signatures seems more appropriate, and they would probably be more grateful since you went to see their work.

Radioguy

Not that I was a fan, but this can't be good for the franchise...

Doctor Who spin-off Class canceled after one season

Class dismissed

Nick Romano@NickARomano

Posted on September 8, 2017 at 10:05am EDT

School’s out — for good. Class, the Doctor Who spin-off that hit the U.S. this April, has been canceled, BBC3 head Damian Kavanagh confirmed.

“There was nothing wrong with it,” Kavanagh told Radio Times. “I thought [creator] Patrick [Ness] did a great job, he explored an amazing world. In honesty, it didn’t really land for us on BBC3; some shows don’t and I have to make decisions about what we’re going to do from a drama point of view.”

Class premiered on BBC America on April 15 with a story about four students at Coal Hill Academy played by Greg Austin, Sophie Hopkins, Fady Elsayed, and Vivian Oparah. Hailing from various social circles, they are forced to band together to defend their school from alien threats.

Ness served as executive producer with the team behind Doctor Who.

“I’m not an unopinionated man, but all I’ll say re the Class news is how proud I am of that show & how lucky I am to have had the opportunity,” Ness said of the show’s cancellation in a series of tweets on Thursday. “Ah, thanks for all the love about this, you beauties. And as I’ve said, pity no season 2: Weeping Angels planet, shirtless wood-chopping…What a great experience to make it. And SUCH a great cast. And thank you for all the love for it, too! Would that things were different…”

Ah, thanks for all the love about this, you beauties. And as I've said, pity no season 2: Weeping Angels planet, shirtless wood-chopping…

— Patrick Ness (@Patrick_Ness) September 8, 2017

What a great experience to make it. And SUCH a great cast. And thank you for all the love for it, too! Would that things were different…

— Patrick Ness (@Patrick_Ness) September 7, 2017

Ness, who penned the screenplay for the movie adaptation to his book A Monster Calls, is now ready to bring another of his works to the big screen. Chaos Walking is filming under the direction of Doug Liman (Edge of Tomorrow) with a cast that includes Daisy Ridley, Tom Holland, Mads Mikkelsen, Kurt Sutter, Demián Bichir, and Nick Jonas.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/08/doctor-who-spinoff-class-canceled/

Kind of sour grapes to tease what he "would've done" in season two. If he really wanted to do it, and if it worked, it would've been in season one.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!

Radioguy

Cancelling a show that was on a internet based former tv channel that nobody gives a fuck about?

It will not be missed nor will it effect the main show in any way what so ever
Again, it can't be good for the franchise, for the fact there was press about it. Hey, I didn't care about it, but remember that's three spinoffs dead (five if you count the original K-9 series, and the Australian one).

Maybe it's a saving grace he didn't get to fuck with Weeping Angels canon, but who knows what else was covered in season one. SJA and Torchwood certainly affected the main series to varying extents.

mascan42

Again, it can't be good for the franchise, for the fact there was press about it. Hey, I didn't care about it, but remember that's three spinoffs dead (five if you count the original K-9 series, and the Australian one).

Maybe it's a saving grace he didn't get to fuck with Weeping Angels canon, but who knows what else was covered in season one. SJA and Torchwood certainly affected the main series to varying extents.
To be fair, SJA might have kept going if it wasn't for Liz Sladen dying.

Radioguy

Never implied otherwise, of course. That said, I'm not convinced the series would be on today were she still with us.

In any circumstance, the whovian tree has been pruned back to one branch again.

Bobobie

Only one girl on Class was worth shagging and they had to have their token Gay, a Paki and a homely black girl for racial diversity. Typical BBC casting, acting chops was last on their check list.

I member when there was real Doctor and he was a he.

Radioguy

Pot stirring aside, I'm half-surprised Tennant needed to be in Ducktales before someone had the bright idea to do a parody of the DT theme as DW.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
I forgot that this was a watched thread.

Since the show is not going to be a watched show, this oversight has been rectified.

Radioguy

Doctor Who: Bradley Walsh among new cast members

Image caption Jodie Whittaker will be joined by Mandip Gill, Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole
Doctor Who's first female Time Lord will be joined by three new companions, the BBC has announced.

Jodie Whittaker, who takes over as the 13th Doctor next year, will be joined by new cast regulars Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill, as well as Sharon D Clarke in a returning role.

Walsh will star as Graham, Cole will play Ryan and Gill will play Yasmin.

Walsh said he was looking forward to being part of the show - some 50 years after first becoming a fan.

The former Coronation Street actor and presenter of quiz show The Chase said: "I remember watching William Hartnell as the first Doctor. Black and white made it very scary for a youngster like myself.

"I was petrified, but even though I'd watch most of it from behind the sofa through my fingers, I became a fan...

"Am I thrilled to be part of this whole ground breaking new dawn for the Doctor? Oh yes!"
Gill, who has appeared in Hollyoaks and Casualty, said she was "over the moon" to join the "iconic" show, adding: "Certain roles seem unattainable and this is one of those, so much so I didn't believe it to be true for the first few weeks."

Cole, who had roles in EastEnders and Star Wars: The Force Awakens, said he was looking forward to "jumping in this Doctor Who universe".

Chris Chibnall, the show's new head writer, said those chosen as companions were "three of Britain's brightest talents".

"The new Doctor is going to need new friends," he added.

The BBC also confirmed the series will have a 10-week run of 50-minute episodes in autumn 2018, starting with a feature-length hour show for the launch.

No details about the new characters beyond their names have yet been revealed.

Whittaker was revealed as the next Time Lord in a trailer broadcast at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final in July.

The Broadchurch star succeeds Peter Capaldi, who took over the role in 2013 and leaves in the forthcoming Christmas special.

The reaction to Whittaker's casting was mostly positive - but a sizeable minority protested that the Doctor shouldn't be played by a woman.

The appointment also sparked a war of words between two former Doctors.

Peter Davison, who played the character from 1981 to 1984, said he felt "a bit sad" the character might no longer be "a role model for boys", but his comments were dubbed "rubbish" by his successor, Colin Baker.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41716877

Radioguy

Someone agrees...

Doctor Who Magazine Writer Hides Secret Message That We Can’t Print In This Headline
Posted by Jude Terror October 23, 2017 14 Comments

No, it’s not a clickbait tactic, forcing you to click the link to find out what the message said. It’s just that we can’t put the word “cunt” in a headline.

A writer for Doctor Who Magazine going by the name of The Watcher hid a vulgar message for his bosses at Panini (the publisher of the magazine) and BBC Worldwide in a column in the latest issue. As noticed by users on 4chan and some folks on Twitter, taking the first letter of every sentence in this (admittedly poorly cropped) photo of the magazine reveals a not-so-nice sentiment toward Panini and BBC.

We’ll give you a moment to figure it out for yourselves. If you don’t feel like putting in the effort, scroll below.

It says “PANINI AND BBC WORLDWIDE ARE CUNTS.”

Panini appears to have not been very amused by the message, as the text has been altered to remove it in the digital version of the magazine.

Earlier this year, Marvel Comics ended their relationship with artist Adrian Syaf after he placed antisemitic and anti-Christian messages in the art of the comic book X-Men: Gold without Marvel’s knowledge. The incident ended up making the comic worth about $30 on ebay, so if you’ve got a copy of Doctor Who Magazine with the naughty message, get your listing up now.

We’ve reached out to Panini for comment, and will post an update if they respond.

And to The Watcher, if you’re out there, er… watching, feel free to contact us below and elaborate on your message.

(Last Updated October 24, 2017 3:56 pm )
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/1...ter-hides-secret-message-cant-print-headline/

Stig

Make America Gay Again.
Cancelling a show that was on a internet based former tv channel that nobody gives a fuck about?

It will not be missed nor will it effect the main show in any way what so ever
"Affect." Dammit.

mascan42

For me, the costume is a mixed bag. I like the coat - it's been a while since we had a good flappy running-down-corridors coat. I don't even mind the suspenders. But the rainbow-stripe shirt and too-high trousers . . . ugh. Hopefully it's just a template that will see some variation over the course of the series.