TV Doctor Who

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Some have trundled out pix of Peter Davison in his question mark suspenders back in the 80s, as if that's some kind of defense, but that and C. Baker's technicolor dreamcoat are what DW have consistently been derided for over the years.

This seems so "children's program"-ish, that I hope that the twist is she's dropped into some kind of bloodbath, and it goes real dark, but even that probably won't work.

Radioguy

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.

The fact that this looks so good makes makes the disaster that awaits even more impossible to bear. So sad...

Radioguy

This looks like fanservice to Gatiss to such an extent that it seems he might be out for good, or thinks he will be.

David Bradley does an admirable job, though. Even better than in the 1st Dr. scenes in the Hartnell movie.

Radioguy

Well, this makes all the difference...
The next series of Doctor Who starring Jodie Whittaker will get a whole new “cinematic” look
Series 11 is being shot with different cameras which promise “cinematic results”

By Ben Dowell

Saturday, 2nd December 2017 at 11:57 am
If it’s not exciting enough to get the first female Time Lord on screen, then Doctor Who bosses have further surprises in store: a brand new cinematic look for Jodie Whittaker’s adventures.

The production is being supplied with brand new cameras and lenses which will add a touch of big screen dazzle to the look of the new series according to trade magazine Broadcast.

Now here’s the science bit.

Production house Films at 59, which supplies the BBC’s Doctor Who studios in Roath Lock in Cardiff, is using Cooke anamorphic Prime lenses and Angenieux Optimo anamorphic zooms that will be used with Arri Alexa XT and Alex Mini cameras for series 11.

The intention is to bring an increased cinematic look to the show which started production at the end of October.

According to Bristol-based Films at 59’s Dave Wride this means a whole new visual feel to the show.

“The BBC have made a monumental leap here to enhance the look of Doctor Who and I’m sure the fans will not be disappointed with the distinctly cinematic results that this lens and camera combo will afford them,” he said.

The technical changes were ordered by the new production team led by Executive Producers Chris Chibnall and Matt Strevens who have already taken charge for series 11.

The visual impact of the changes will be seen in autumn 2018 when the BBC premieres the first series for Whittaker’s thirteenth Doctor alongside new companions Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill.

The new series will kick off with an hour-long special followed by nine 50 minute episodes.

Before that, of course, there is the small matter of this year’s Christmas special and a farewell to Peter Capaldi…

Doctor Who returns to BBC1 this Christmas
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...hittaker-will-get-a-whole-new-cinematic-look/

Radioguy

The Christmas special is now out there for those who can't wait a few hours to the BBC America airing.

It's in theatres too, I think.

Radioguy

Overall, David Bradley did a pretty good job, but it wasn't very memorable otherwise.

Just watched it...1080p rip...Looked great. It was a BF1 episode...They really did very little with a lot of episode but it was a good ep...Now we wait for what, april? BTW we all had faux outrage when they revealed the new doctor...I said "Wha? Where are they going to keep the tampons in the tardis"

and
do you think her hitting a button and crashing the tardis was a 'women can't drive' joke?

Radioguy

Hmm, I thought the TARDIS being tipped out was almost in response to the first Doctor's politically incorrect references to women cleaning the TARDIS.

:)

mascan42

Now we wait for what, april?
They've barely begun filming on the next series, so more likely August or September.
Hmm, I thought the TARDIS being tipped out was almost in response to the first Doctor's politically incorrect references to women cleaning the TARDIS.

:)
The TARDIS did look like it was bouncing up & down trying to shake her loose, didn't it? I just hope the first episode isn't the TARDIS gradually learning to accept the new Doctor, and admonishing the audience for not doing the same.

Radioguy

Oh NO! My kid will be devastated...plowed through the entire 2015 series...and just waiiiiiiiting for new episodes...
Plenty of classic era stuff to watch. Now that he has an entry point having seen the very first Dr, go show him an Unearthly Child and go from there. ;)

mascan42

Plenty of classic era stuff to watch. Now that he has an entry point having seen the very first Dr, go show him an Unearthly Child and go from there. ;)
Half of that stuff is missing anyway. Wait until they find the last surviving copy of Marco Polo behind a toilet in Nigeria.

Radioguy

Uh-oh.
Rumor: ‘Doctor Who’ Time Travelling to Sunday Nights
By Stephanie Mlot 02.10.2018 :: 12:30PM EST

Jodie Whittaker IS the Doctor (via BBC)
The Doctor may be time travelling for real this year.

BBC is reportedly moving Doctor Who from its long-running Saturday spot to Sunday evenings.

According to British tabloid Daily Mirror, the next season will return this fall a full 24 hours later.

The move, according to an anonymous source, “could make perfect sense.”

After all, Saturday nights from September to December are often earmarked for the Strictly Come Dancing live broadcast. A Sunday showing, however, could interfere with Strictly‘s celebrity results spectacle.

“It is a serious option,” the on-set spy said.

The First Doctor debuted on a Saturday afternoon in 1963, and the 21st century revival has been the centerpiece of BBC One’s Saturday schedule for more than a decade.

But sagging ratings and a dwindling audience—pushed out by a late post-Strictly time slot—may force the Beeb to buck tradition this year.

“Chris [Chibnall] is taking Doctor Who apart to give it a revamp,” the Mirror‘s informer said. “The only thing viewers will immediately recognize are the sonic screwdriver, the TARDIS, and the theme tune.”

Well, that clears up a few things.

Still, BBC and new showrunner Chibnall are staying mum about all things Who.

Obviously, Jodie Whittaker will be amazing in her technicolor outfit, saving the world with companions Graham (Bradley Walsh), Yasmin (Mandip Gill), and Ryan (Tosin Cole).

It’s a mystery, though, exactly when they will hit the screen (rumor has it sometime this autumn), who will be joining them, or what sorts of plots, villains, and guests we can expect.

Suffering Time Lord withdrawal? Read about my visit to the (now-defunct) Doctor Who Experience, relive the action of series 10 (on Blu-ray or DVD), and pick out some great gifts from Gallifrey. An Adipose stress toy or K-9 talking plush doll ought to do the trick.

And remember: Never be cruel, never be cowardly, and never, ever eat pears.
If true, this is all kinds of bad.

Then again, they are quoting the Mirror here. It may not be worth the bits the characters are made from.

Radioguy

For the nostalgic fans...

DOCTOR WHO New Series Episodes Getting Novelizations

Posted by Kyle Anderson on February 23, 2018
We’ve now had 10 full series and 13 years of the revived Doctor Who, which is long enough to consider it “classic” in some fashion. So classic, in fact, BBC Books is reviving the Target Books novelizations of some new series episodes. Just about every story in the classic series was novelized back in the day, often by the episodic writers themselves, but the majority by former script editor Terrance Dicks. For many young fans who didn’t have access to the original episodes, these were the only way they could experience former Doctors. In keeping with that, there are five new Target books on the way, a couple even by the showrunners.

According to Sci-Fi Bulletin, four new series and one never-before-novelized classic series stories are on the way on April 5 in the UK (no word outside). Russell T. Davies, who was the one responsible for bringing the show back in 2005, has novelized his very first episode, “Rose,” which reintroduced the series and the character of the Doctor to a whole new audience. Steven Moffat has also done one, novelizing his 50th anniversary story, “The Day of the Doctor,” and, according to him at Gallifrey One last weekend, he’s added quite a bit to it, which should make it feel even more epic.

In addition to the two showrunners, some of the best authors working today have gotten the chance to novelize some new series stories. Novelist Jenny T. Colgan has tackled “The Christmas Invasion,” which introduced the Tenth Doctor, and Paul Cornell, who’s written for Doctor Who in every medium, has taken on the challenge of adapting “Twice Upon a Time,” the Twelfth Doctor’s final story which also saw the return of the First Doctor. Rounding out the five, James Goss is adapting his own novelization of Douglas Adams’ classic “City of Death” to Target form (meaning much shorter).

Check out the covers of the first three novelizations covers (the other two are still to be finalized) below!

Kyle Anderson is the Associate Editor and the resident Whovian for Nerdist. Follow him on Twitter!

mascan42

Uh-oh.

If true, this is all kinds of bad.

Then again, they are quoting the Mirror here. It may not be worth the bits the characters are made from.
The Mirror gets most of its Doctor Who rumors from the speculation threads on Gallifrey Base.

Radioguy

The Mirror gets most of its Doctor Who rumors from the speculation threads on Gallifrey Base.
Then they deserve to be held in the regard they are.

Still, in this current atmosphere, bad news comes across more believable than ever before.

Radioguy

American civil rights history to be profiled in a British Sci-Fi series?

Chris Chibnall just dropped 9 brand-new Doctor Who teasers – here’s what they might mean

The series showrunner gave the cryptic clues to new monsters, episodes, and characters in an exclusive piece for Radio Times

By Huw Fullerton
Monday, 17th September 2018 at 9:00 pm

With the new series of Doctor Who only a few weeks away, the BBC is finally starting to lift the lid on the revamped version of the sci-fi classic, which has been shrouded in secrecy during its production for the last year or so.

Writing exclusively in Radio Times, series showrunner Chris Chibnall has dropped all sorts of hints for what people can expect from Jodie Whittaker’s Thirteenth Doctor, culminating in a list of nine brand new cryptic clues for fans of the new series that are bound to get hearts (however many you have) racing.

“We’ve been working hard at staying quiet until now, in order that audiences aren’t spoilt, and also so that our stories make it onto television in the most exciting way possible,” Chibnall writes in the latest issue of Radio Times, available from Tuesday 18th September.

“But now we’re getting excited about showing you Epzo, a life-changing bike ride, Robertson, the Ux, Umbreen, Rosa, Desolation, Kandoka’s moon and Ribbons. All of these things are on their way…”

But what could all these hints mean? Well, we have a few ideas. First up, Rosa almost certainly refers to Rosa Parks, the civil rights pioneer whose iconic stand against segregation on a Monroeville bus has been a rumoured destination for this series of Doctor Who for months (and definitely lines up with some scenes shown in the series’ trailer).

Meanwhile, some of the more unusual words he mentions – notably the Ux, and Epzo – could refer to the “all-new” rogues’ gallery of aliens and monsters set to be battled by the Doctor and her friends this year (the Ux definitely sounds like some sort of new alien species, right?)

Alternatively, some of the names – we’re thinking maybe Desolation? – could be intriguing new destinations for the Doctor’s travels (OK, Desolation probably isn’t the nicest holiday spot), along with the much less ambiguous Kandoka’s moon. Five points to the first fan who matches up any of these names to the various environments we’ve seen in the series 11 trailer

And then there’s the other bits and bobs Chibnall hints at. Ribbons could be a nickname for a new creature or character, a deadly disease afflicting the universe or just be a stylish costuming choice for Bradley Walsh’s character Graham.

Robertson and Umbreen are almost certainly new series characters – maybe one of the guest stars for the first couple of episodes that Chibnall also teases in Radio Times – while “a life-changing bike ride” must be some sort of offbeat comic interlude during an episode. Unless, of course, the Thirteenth Doctor really HAS lost her Tardis and ends up going on a gap year to find herself instead…

In the end, these hints give us as many questions as they do answers – when half of these hints just turn out to be human characters with unusual names, feel free to come back here and remind us how wrong we were. But maybe that’s Chibnall’s point…

What better way to keep the Doctor Who mystery alive than releasing JUST enough information to pique our interest again, but without the context that actually explains it? It’s a devious trick worthy of the Ux themselves (unless they’re nice, or not aliens at all).

You can read more of Chris Chibnall’s exclusive Doctor Who preview in the latest issue of the Radio Times, available in shops and on the newsstand from Tuesday 18th September

Doctor Who returns to BBC1 on Sunday 7th October