TV Doctor Who

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
My take...

You don't get much of what Whitaker's version of the doc is yet, other than a Eccleston-esque northern accent. Capaldi had more character at the outset, so this could be a bad sign, but I'll give it time. See? I'm open-minded.

The supporting companions seem more retreads of past characters, some in differing gender, than anything new though. The Predator-like script is far from original, but carried off with reasonable menace and dread. Sadly, ever since '05 we haven't gotten the proper one-off character development that came when this was a serial instead of a series, so it seems a too-hasty-to-believe team to defeat him, but we've gotten used to that...or are supposed to.

What's most jarring, as has been the progressive BBC stance for several years (and thread pages here), is that every character is a minority, gay, or, in the case of the heterosexual white male turned companion, a emasculated widower of an dominant african-british woman. Not that these aren't perfectly viable characters unto themselves with plausible stories, but it's the whole cast in one episode. That's the current BBC universe. Propaganda-level progressive writing so forced down your throat that suspension of disbelief in the plot is exterminated. There's no easing us into naturally developing characters. It's all or nothing, and if you don't like it you're expected to not even watch television. Period.

I don't expect that to change, and it's the underlying reason why I'm not as hardcore as I once was (although still more than any other series). I just take what I like and leave the rest now. Perhaps when the inevitable feature film happens it might balance out to something more akin to reality. One can hope.

Stig

Living In Your Heads, Rent-Free.
My take...

You don't get much of what Whitaker's version of the doc is yet, other than a Eccleston-esque northern accent. Capaldi had more character at the outset, so this could be a bad sign, but I'll give it time. See? I'm open-minded.

The supporting companions seem more retreads of past characters, some in differing gender, than anything new though. The Predator-like script is far from original, but carried off with reasonable menace and dread. Sadly, ever since '05 we haven't gotten the proper one-off character development that came when this was a serial instead of a series, so it seems a too-hasty-to-believe team to defeat him, but we've gotten used to that...or are supposed to.

What's most jarring, as has been the progressive BBC stance for several years (and thread pages here), is that every character is a minority, gay, or, in the case of the heterosexual white male turned companion, a emasculated widower of an dominant african-british woman. Not that these aren't perfectly viable characters unto themselves with plausible stories, but it's the whole cast in one episode. That's the current BBC universe. Propaganda-level progressive writing so forced down your throat that suspension of disbelief in the plot is exterminated. There's no easing us into naturally developing characters. It's all or nothing, and if you don't like it you're expected to not even watch television. Period.

I don't expect that to change, and it's the underlying reason why I'm not as hardcore as I once was (although still more than any other series). I just take what I like and leave the rest now. Perhaps when the inevitable feature film happens it might balance out to something more akin to reality. One can hope.
The forced diversity of BBC programming overall is quite distracting sometimes. If British TV reflected the real world, we'd have to believe that gay couples nearly outnumber straight ones, and that Blacks, Indians and Muslims make up the vast majority of British people.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
And that mixed race couplings are running rampant. Not that there's anything wrong with mixed race, but it's nowhere near as prevalent in real life as it's depicted on TV. Especially brit TV.

Radioguy

The forced diversity of BBC programming overall is quite distracting sometimes. If British TV reflected the real world, we'd have to believe that gay couples nearly outnumber straight ones, and that Blacks, Indians and Muslims make up the vast majority of British people.
Well, they made a joke in season two of Fauda that half of Britain is Muslim...and these were Israelis talking.

mascan42

Honestly, I didn't much care about the diversity of the cast. So what? What bothered me was the self-congratulatory "look how diverse we are" tone of the marketing.

Radioguy

Honestly, I didn't much care about the diversity of the cast. So what? What bothered me was the self-congratulatory "look how diverse we are" tone of the marketing.
That tone is in the episode; not just the marketing.

Noel Clarke and Freema Agyeman weren't introduced in such a way. It was far more natural for them. This is not.

mascan42

That tone is in the episode; not just the marketing.

Noel Clarke and Freema Agyeman weren't introduced in such a way. It was far more natural for them. This is not.
It wasn't too overbearing in the episode itself. The promos and interviews were WAY over the top. There was a promo where the Doctor sets off her sonic screwdriver and a literal glass ceiling shattered. I fucking shit you not.

Bobobie

I was a third way through the Xmas special and threw up my hands with disgust. The original Doctor was being depicted as an old fashioned misogynistic asshole. I figured it was a good indication of what was to come. I watched the first episode and it was fine as a Sarah Jane adventure. It certainly wasn't Doctor who to me.

Rory was a low-testosterone doormat, but at least he was white.

Bobobie

I was surprised they allowed her to have a white boyfriend. Every other companion was cast with a black guy. Even that one-off Blink Episode the Female Protagonist had a potential black love interest.

Radioguy

The original Doctor was being depicted as an old fashioned misogynistic asshole. I figured it was a good indication of what was to come.
I didn't quite bristle as hard at that, as it would have been near impossible to overlook the character's portrayed sexism that was common of the time.

Rory actually grew into a character with balls though.
Rubber balls.

Bobobie

Speaking of Rory, a lucky cuck to have been balls deep in Amy Pond, it took two seasons of Legends of Tomorrow to realize he and Rip Hunter are the same guy.

Radioguy

I'm waiting for feedback from others who have watched the last two episodes, because I really need another point of view before...I just don't know. I just don't how to react to this.

Just watched the Rosa Parks one... I get it female empowerment... men are poo poo heads....

For a public institution (the BBC)... must be nice to work with no oversight.

Voodoo Ben

The African Dream
Just watched the Rosa Parks one... I get it female empowerment... men are poo poo heads....

For a public institution (the BBC)... must be nice to work with no oversight.
I think it's good that the guys from Top Gear were let go before the liberal take over of the BBC, they wouldn't have survived at this current BBC.

I think it's good that the guys from Top Gear were let go before the liberal take over of the BBC, they wouldn't have survived at this current BBC.
Its been doing that for years... sliding more from left-ish centre to basic communist. Like BBC News used to actually be objective back in ye oldern days when shit as a kid I could listen to the BBC via shortwave.

The whole thing is they don't care if they make money or not as everything is taxpayer funded so they could give a shit.

Note from 2015:

Top Gear: Losing Jeremy Clarkson killed £500m BBC cash cow - now 1,000 lose their jobs

THE BBC'S loss of Jeremy Clarkson was savaged today in light of the corporation announcing 1,000 jobs were to go due to a £150million shortfall.

Critics were left asking where the £40million-a-year which Top Gear has brought in since its relaunch in 2002 was going to come from.
It came as BBC director general Tony Hall told staff they must pay the price of job losses for a growing number of people shunning live television and thereby not paying a licence fee.

But some believe it just shows how the loss of a huge cash generator in Mr Clarkson has left a black hole in the budget. This has meant job cuts as well as even more taxpayers criminalised for non-payment of TV licences.

Tory MP and long-term critic of the corporation, Andrew Bridgen, who is one of a number of MPs calling for the licence fee to be dropped, said: "I suggested at the time the BBC will be hit big by losing such a large revenue stream in Jeremy Clarkson.

"The BBC decided to sack Clarkson. But they also want to criminalise thousands of people for not paying their licence fee. Seemingly, they also think that's a price worth paying."

Peter Whittle, Ukip's culture spokesman, said the loss of Mr Clarkson created a "huge revenue loss".

Top Gear has been the BBC's biggest moneyspinner, broadcast in 200 countries worldwide. It also brings in cash from versions made in USA and China and through selling merchandise and from live events.

It is seen as one of few success stories in the corporations aim to make money selling shows abroad.

Out of £5billion it needs to make annually, £3.7bn comes from licence fees, £1bn is made from commercial business, £245m in Government grants and just £72m in other income, which includes overseas broadcasts.

Mr Bridgen said: "BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm, is a joke. It has the task of selling the huge back-catalogue of programmes and only returns 10 per cent.

"That's billions of pounds worth of programmes the taxpayer has paid for."

The redundancies, which were announced on Thursday, aim to make back £50m from the cash shortfall, which BBC is blaming on the rise in iPlayer, mobiles and online catch-up meaning less households have televisions.

But it comes after years of complaints of mismanagement by the company.

MPs in February even called for auditors to be brought in to look into BBC waste after a scathing review earlier this year into the company's spending.

The Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee said: "The National Audit Office must now be given unrestricted access to the BBC if it is to provide assurance that the Corporation is spending money wisely and trading fairly."

Mr Bridgen has long urged for the BBC to "cut its cloth accordingly", while Mr Whittle criticised the "huge number of inflated salaries in the BBC".

The Ukip spokesman also called for a reduction in the licence fee.

He said: "It's always been Ukip policy that there should be a full review of the licence fee. It's impossible in this current multi-platform age to heap this charge on people.

"And even worse is it's still a criminal offence not to pay the fee. It should be a civil offence."

While the BBC will not go into numbers on how much is generated by Top Gear it insists the company will be able to continue selling the Top Gear back-catalogue of programmes.

Insiders also believe the programme will flourish under new lead presenter Chris Evans.

Regarding the job cuts, a BBC spokesman said: "Despite the progress already made, and the realities of the licence fee being frozen for seven years, a new financial challenge means additional savings must now be found.

"The licence fee income in 2016/17 is now forecast to be 150 million less than it was expected to be in 2011."

Gerry Morrissey, general secretary of the broadcasting workers' union Bectu noted that the cuts would only achieve a third of the savings the BBC wants to achieve.

He said: "We support the idea of standardisation and simplification, but we will have to study the details of the announcement.

"We want to make sure that anyone affected by this is genuinely redeployed."
Link

Radioguy

Rosa:

Alright, I expected more reaction to the fact a human time-traveller from the 79th century was a white supremacist released from a prison called "Stormcage" with a tattoo proving it. That is a moment that singularly defines the human race as irredeemable, regardless of color, within context. No Doctor would or could interact with a character like that. We would get 45 mins of sobbing and introspection by all rights, from any of the past Doctors, but we didn't. I was stunned.

Seriously, how could the BBC, even from the progressive stance they embraced, even conceive of a future where human racism, in an age where homosapiens have been shown to have interbred with alien races, continues to exist.

If anything, that one plot point only serves to perpetually victimize minorities. How can any British child of East Asian or African ethnicity watch that and ever think all will be equal within their lifetimes when it continues to the SEVENTY-NINTH CENTURY. It was more criminal towards them than the intended eternal indictment against white males. I felt nauseous after that scene and had to stop watching for awhile. It was really hard to get through the entire episode and that's what had me not post earlier.

All else is secondary, but really, for how lauded she is, Parks' relevance was still artificially raised within this story, near farce, and at the cost of MLK's (he was even added to emphasize it). Parks' action was pivotal as history records, and inspired MLK and many, but in comparison to MLK the script came across as a conscious act to marginalize MLK because he was male. Seriously. They are even trying to rewrite the civil rights movement at the cost of the males within it.

Can you imagine an episode documenting the assassination of MLK? I can imagine a Emmy-winning one, but we will never get that. Not in this climate.

That said, Vinette Robinson, the actress who played Parks, regardless of whether her lines or characterization were pure SJW fantasy, was great. It had Emmy-nod potential. However, the stuff with the bus driver, intended to even further grind his name in the mud of history rather than be forgotten, became farcical. It was ridiculous, and not amusingly.

I have to say it. I held back from posting any of that before being introspective myself. I wanted to at least try to look within to see if any of what I felt was at all negatively influenced by being a white male. I tried to imagine coming at this from an educated minority perspective as best I could, and I still couldn't imagine what I saw as anymore than a pandering, insulting, and ridiculous revision of history.

In case it's not obvious, because I have said it repeatedly, this is and has always been my favorite show, but the thought that it should be "rested" (that's when the nausea really kicked in) came to mind. That's where they've taken me.

Radioguy

Arachnids In The UK:

Ok, for what genuine horror potential there was from a retread of 70's era The Green Death, and some achieved (Kevin!), the Trump-effect has so poisoned the writers that their lashing out only serves to marginalize Great Britain as a sovereign nation here.

They actually took the stance that American politics were so important that it had to be the undercurrent to a halfway decent, if basic, horror premise at the cost of the episode itself. It came off as Britain is already the 51st state rather than, say, slam Theresa May as a puppet or cronie of Trump as proxy for American political critique. Really, for a program like this, keen to retain it's cultural ties to the UK, it shouldn't preach to Americans as if THEY are Americans, nor serve to imply the British audience watching they are less powerful due to their nationality as a result. If they feel so strongly, they ought to have taken a page from their predecessors who lashed out at Thatcher a couple decades before in their own Doctor Who scripts.

There is some attempt at good drama with Graham's mourning here (despite his and even Yaz's dad's subliminal emasculation), and Chris Noth, despite the propaganda-esque character he plays, gives a fine performance. It's just the politics that ruin Green Death 2.

Bobobie

It's more than that, they don't take advantage of the income potential of their back catalog. There is a huge catalog UK comedies that BBC World could sell to streamers Netflix, Hulu, Apple, and Amazon. I downloaded every episode of Red Dwarf and Black Books ages ago. American audiences would love these shows, but never heard of them.
Its been doing that for years... sliding more from left-ish centre to basic communist. Like BBC News used to actually be objective back in ye oldern days when shit as a kid I could listen to the BBC via shortwave.

The whole thing is they don't care if they make money or not as everything is taxpayer funded so they could give a shit.

Link
I stopped watching after the Rosa Parks episodes. I guess all the good actors, who could do a decent African American accent, were already over here doing shows like The Wire.

Last edited:

mascan42

It's more than that, they don't take advantage of the income potential of their back catalog. There is a huge catalog UK comedies that BBC World could sell to streamers Netflix, Hulu, Apple, and Amazon.
I look forward to the pitch meeting to sell Are You Being Served to Netflix.

Watching it now... glad i don't have to pay a TV license for it.

Feh... kinda sad I've been watching this show since like the mid 70s... oh well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Radioguy

That was simple and followed the basic structure of a filler episode. Done before, of course, but actually well acted as well despite the ridiculousness of the alien.

Personally, despite the retread of the plot, I still think a classic alien would have been better than what we got here. Maye a Rutan.