TV Doctor Who

Bobobie

I look forward to the pitch meeting to sell Are You Being Served to Netflix.
Why not? It's been on PBS for years. I'm sure there would be an audience for it. Why not Father Ted and a bunch of other Sitcoms too? It's better than the 3rd rate shitty movies they are offering.

mascan42

You know, I don't think I'd mind the PC box-checking so much if the writing wasn't so dull. Aside from the first episode, there's been virtually no tension, shitty non-descript villains and the pacing of most episodes has been awful.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
While it's obviously bothering me, I'm not saying the PC stuff would have me stop watching if they pulled out the stops on the writing either.

Trust me, I'd give this a chance all the way through before I come to any life...well, TV-watching, conclusions. That is, unless it gets even worse than the first two. They really set a low bar there.

On the bright side, they've lowered my expectations so that if it somehow turns around to RTD-era writing, it would seem amazing.

Bobobie

I stopped watching after the Rosa Parks episode. Everything was Ham-handed with the racist scenes and the American accents were horrible. It's pretty much why I've given up on Supergirl since it moved to CW. Every episode leans either to 3rd wave feminism or the Migrant crisis. The Doctor and a single companion with an occasional third was the best format. This squad thing sucks. You get a whole lot less character development when you have four people competing for screen time.

Radioguy

I stopped watching after the Rosa Parks episode. Everything was Ham-handed with the racist scenes and the American accents were horrible. It's pretty much why I've given up on Supergirl since it moved to CW. Every episode leans either to 3rd wave feminism or the Migrant crisis. The Doctor and a single companion with an occasional third was the best format. This squad thing sucks. You get a whole lot less character development when you have four people competing for screen time.
You know, I can see some take the position that it obviously comes across as little confidence in a female character for her to have to have so many companions, and in that light, I'm a bit surprised they did it, but yes; you're right. However, then again, the rumor going is that one is not sticking around, and it was planned that way.

Radioguy

You want good inclusive stories? That was one. Simple, but moving. Alien involvement was a distraction, and unneeded.

mascan42

You want good inclusive stories? That was one. Simple, but moving. Alien involvement was a distraction, and unneeded.
That's as close to a pure historical as we've had in decades. The aliens were just an excuse for the Doctor to want to hang around.

Also, did anyone notice the end credits music was the DW theme arranged as an Indian chorus?

mascan42

That really felt like a Tennant-era throwback, right down to the explanation that went by so fast you barely even heard it, much less understood it.

But seriously, cartoon robots is an RTD thing, and trying to make kids afraid of everyday objects is definitely a Moffat thing.

Radioguy

Definitely unoriginal. Seemed like something that would fit better in the McCoy era, actually.

Firstly, that's two weeks ago and neither the Mail nor that site are exactly unbiased here. They skew right, and DM always tears into DW; even when it wasn't nearly so progressive in tone.

Still, numbers are numbers. In the end, even those can beat sense into the folks who decided on change if they are still declining.

Truth be told though, as bad a start as this had, and it's not great this week either, I'd lose more respect with it by a mid/latter end-series 180° retooling than going full force through to the end (and THEN go back if that is to be). Thing is, full bore might alienate the audience further and lead to a hiatus as well. Let's see what happens...

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
A hiatus? Doesn't DW do that anyway? We seem to wait two years between series, FFS.

Bobobie

Firstly, that's two weeks ago and neither the Mail nor that site are exactly unbiased here. They skew right, and DM always tears into DW; even when it wasn't nearly so progressive in tone . ...
Strange that the MSM isn't reporting much on the shows ratings. Makes me believe that it's in weekly decline. I just googled it and mainly see articles saying what huge hit it is, mostly from the shows launch.

mascan42

Rumors are going around that Chris Chibnall is seriously unhappy with the behind-the-scenes workings of the show (which, considering he's the showrunner and exec producer, presumably is referring to the BBC itself) and may leave after series 12, taking Whittaker with him. Series 12 has begun pre-production, and more rumors suggest it may be a short series of only 6 episodes and a Christmas 2019 finale.

As always, rumors of this sort may be complete nonsense, but the same source did correctly predict a New Years Day special rather than a Christmas one.

Radioguy

A hiatus? Doesn't DW do that anyway? We seem to wait two years between series, FFS.
I mean years.

Rumors are going around that Chris Chibnall is seriously unhappy with the behind-the-scenes workings of the show (which, considering he's the showrunner and exec producer, presumably is referring to the BBC itself) and may leave after series 12, taking Whittaker with him. Series 12 has begun pre-production, and more rumors suggest it may be a short series of only 6 episodes and a Christmas 2019 finale.

As always, rumors of this sort may be complete nonsense, but the same source did correctly predict a New Years Day special rather than a Christmas one.
Now, this begs the question of whether the progressive tone is his or theirs, and we know how prevalent it is among their programs...

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Seems to me that being the BBC is state run TV, the tone might just be the UK's personal stamp on all things Who lately. After all, isn't the UK pretty left these days?

mascan42

I mean years.

Now, this begs the question of whether the progressive tone is his or theirs, and we know how prevalent it is among their programs...
Well, consider that smug, virtue-signalling glass ceiling promo they did. I doubt Chibnall had much to do with that.

mascan42

It's starting to feel like the episode order got shuffled around a bit. This feels like it should've been episode 3 or 4, with the Doctor explaining about interfering with historical events, like they haven't been to the past a couple of times already. Not sure why it would've been done, though. Putting all of Chibnall's episodes up front made the first half of the series feel all the same, i.e. all poorly plotted with weak villains.

Radioguy

Yes, this many Earthbound episodes without an underlying reason (disabled TARDIS, etc) doesn't feel logical either. It smacks even more of budget limitations than anything else.

Again, it was an unoriginal story, and again, felt especially like a McCoy era story; just rushed. In fact, the reanimated bodies were evocative of Haemovores, and their nature was pure Hoothi.

Cumming was a coup, though. He was really wasted on a one-episode historical, but I expect the irreverence of playing a gay King James was what drew him in.

Bobobie

I mean years.

Word is he didn't even want the job and made Gender flipping one of the conditions of him accepting.

Radioguy

Yeah, likely finished by a ghostwriter, but this had been spoken of for years. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Tom Baker Turned Old, Unused 'Doctor Who' Script Into a Novel

By Jamie Lovett - November 28, 2018

Former Doctor Who starTom Baker is returning to the franchise in a new role, writing his own Doctor Who novel.

The novel, titled Doctor Who: Scratchman, is based on ideas for a Doctor Who episode that Baker came up with during his time playing the Fourth Doctor in the 1970s. While Baker completed the “Scratchman” script, he was never able to get it onto the screen, so now he’s taking a different approach.

“I love the improbability of Doctor Who,” Baker said in a press release. “Reason plays no part at all. As in religion, the overriding thing is faith. It may be improbable, but just believe in it and it’ll all come right.

“When I was approached about the book, I thought, ‘Why not?’ I’m always on the lookout for a novelty. I’m very enthusiastic as I get close to darkness.”

(Photo: BBC Books)

Here’s the synopsis released for Doctor Who: Scratchman:

“What are you afraid of?

The Doctor, Harry and Sarah Jane Smith arrive at a remote Scottish island, when their holiday is cut short by the appearance of strange creatures – hideous scarecrows, preying on the local population. The islanders are living in fear, and the Doctor vows to save them all. But it doesn’t go to plan – the time travellers have fallen into a trap, and Scratchman is coming for them.

With the fate of the universe hanging in the balance, the Doctor must battle an ancient force from another dimension, one who claims to be the Devil.

Scratchman wants to know what the Doctor is most afraid of. And the Doctor’s worst nightmares are coming out to play…”

Doctor Who: Scratchman will be released in Hardback from BBC Books in January 2019. Baker himself will read the audiobook edition of the novel.

Baker’s previous writing credits include his autobiography and the novel The Boy Who Kicked Pigs.

Are you excited to read Doctor Who: Scratchman? Let us know what you think about it in the comments section!

The Doctor Who: Scratchman hardcover goes on sale January 24, 2019. Pre-orders are available now.

Bobobie

I'm always amazed the original Doctor and Tom Baker are both still alive. The original one because he already looked a hundred back in the 60's and Tom Baker because never looked all that healthy to begin with.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
I'm always amazed the original Doctor and Tom Baker are both still alive. The original one because he already looked a hundred back in the 60's and Tom Baker because never looked all that healthy to begin with.
Hartnell died in 75.

Radioguy

Hartnell died in 75.
...and Hurndall in '84.

David Bradley is the actor playing the first Dr. now...and better than Hurndall too.