TV Doctor Who

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
To be completely honest, I haven't watched any of the new Doctor Who. I like letting shows build up on my DVR and then watching unless it's something I adore like Better Call Saul. Then I saw that Doctor Who had a Rosa Parks episode and somehow my DVR deleted all the previous episodes. And just that show. Strange, huh?

You're not Quantum Leap. You're about a goofball who fights decommissioned vacuum cleaner parts. That's not saying the show can't evolve or be more "adult," but at its heart - it's a goofball who fights decommissioned vacuum cleaner parts.

And that was my point when the Lady Doctor was originally announced. A Lady can be that. We've seen plenty of lady actors on the show who could capture that spirit - Missy, River, even Donna Noble. They all showed at various points that spark of fun and whimsy. And I think if they retained that joie de vivre. a Lady Doctor could have lead to some more interesting stories and relationships than another pasty white guy. I'm generally willing to give things the benefit of the doubt. The rationale might be cynical or "political," but if the execution works, does the rationale matter so much anymore?

So out of curiosity the past couple of days I've been reading about the new Doctor Who (not on this board, I haven't stepped into that thread) and the first headline I saw was something like "a story only the 13th Doctor can tell" and that was when I knew all I really needed to know. But continuing out of curiosity, I've actually read and watched quite a bit on how this season is going. And even the good reviews are groan inducing; they're self congratulatory about how self congratulatory the show is. And some of the negative reviews I don't like. The Nerdtronic guy I find a bit off-putting, but I don't mind this chick.

And yes, it was everything you guys feared. Rants about patriarchy, Trump, racism, etc. with seemingly little else. I admit it. You guys were right. I was wrong. (But I still maintain I was right in principle, which makes me even righter than you guys. So I win.)

It's not like the Doctor never had values or morals, but it was more 'humanist' in a universal sense. The Doctor encouraged understanding and compassion and fought against oppression and prejudice but in a more general way. The Doctor wanted to build a better future, not rail against a problematic past. And from what I've read, it seems like that's all it is now. Between the falling ratings of Capaldi (who only saved his seasons because he's a great actor, and even now I'm not 100% certain whether I finished his seasons or not) and what's going on with the current season and the showrunner/actor's desire to leave, and I don't know how much it costs the BBC, but I wouldn't be surprised if next season is the end. Where else can it go? It left the zeitgeist probably midway through Smith's run. Besides, Eccleston started in 2005. 15 years is not a bad run by any stretch.
You're wrong. To begin with, to formulate such a verbose opinion without even watching the show. I'd have put myself through it for many reasons no matter how bad the reviews might have been. Also, while your wont is to binge, if you love a show - and I mean to fanaticism - you'll watch it as soon as possible. There are few programs I scheduled things around when I was a kid, but this was one, and I never broke from that. If you like, it feels right just to contribute to the ratings if not anything else.

You're spectacularly wrong when it comes to historicals. This show was built on that. In fact, it's something that would have influenced Quantum Leap t o be historical, if anything. Oh, it veered away from that being its core long ago, but it's part of the pedigree. That they "could always do a historical" was something the producers and fans took for granted. Like using a phone to make a call...I mean it can do that, but "so much more". So, there's no need to evolve from something that was its heart to being with.

Here on out though...you're right. Not spectacularly right, but painfully so. While the progressive stances expressed in the program might have justifiable reasons from a modern societal standpoint, it's now obvious it's more tactic than anything else. I think even those who skew far to the left have seen that by now.

The idea to "rest" DW came to me by the second episode, and it literally depressed me. I brushed it aside as just another of the uncertainties I always feel when they find their footing with a new Dr., but I don't think I ever, not since 2005, felt it ought to go off air again. It still hurts to even think about.

As I think I've said in the DW thread, I've long been a proponent, as crazy as it sounds, that bad DW on TV is better that NO DW on TV. I lived through the post-1989 years where John Nathan-Turner was as vilified as Chibnall is now, but he had kept the show on the air. It wasn't as good as it could have or should have been, but it was ON.

It was when it was cancelled that many regretted putting nails into the coffin when it was on, as getting it back was far more difficult that anyone expected. Despite the budget, in the world of sci-fi, DW is quite literally one of the top franchises in the entire world (arguably the third, but whatever), and it's insane to think of the mindset of some to not license it long before - even Spielberg had been interested. No, I've become one of those that felt you fix it as it goes, as the alternative of hiatus is too risky.

Now, though...I have pause to wonder. The 2005 run up to now has only solidified the position of DW as a leading franchise (which makes no feature film as of yet incomprehensible), and I have to think a hiatus need not be a decade, but again, the risk is too great to bear. Plus, I still think a 180° is achievable; even with the current cast. It's just not going to go down well with what embrace it's felt from some on the left, but like resetting a bone, you can't put it off, and the sooner the better.

Still, if nothing else, my position is valid because I've watched the damned thing.
Better?

And yes, the Doctor went back in time. Obviously. But the show didn't invent that, and I wouldn't say that Quantum Leap was inspired by Doctor Who because they both traveled through time. My point was more about the vibes of the two shows. Quantum Leap was always a more sensitive, socially conscious show that could take on things like real world racism because it was about changing the past and humanity. I don't think Doctor Who can pull that off as well when you have to add "oh and aliens" on top of that.

And I disagree with you about the show needing to be on. No show needs to be on, and sometimes it's a matter of throwing good "money" after bad. I'm sure we've all been in situations where we're so deep in something for so long that we can no longer see light anymore and the more we keep trudging the worse things get because we never have a chance to clear our heads and become less muddled. I think Doctor Who could very well be in that situation. Maybe the only way to get completely fresh eyes on the situation is to take a break and not just hoping things get better.

And yes, I did all that without watching a single episode this season. It's called being on the Internet. If we're not talking about stuff we don't know, we're doing it wrong.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Oh alright...can't teach an old dog, etc.

My point was more about the vibes of the two shows. Quantum Leap was always a more sensitive, socially conscious show that could take on things like real world racism because it was about changing the past and humanity. I don't think Doctor Who can pull that off as well when you have to add "oh and aliens" on top of that.
Which was my point. They didn't. That's what I was referring to as them having veered away from that. Still, it was the entire foundation of the series going back to inception. In fact, that was its mandate as a children's television program.

And I disagree with you about the show needing to be on. No show needs to be on, and sometimes it's a matter of throwing good "money" after bad. I'm sure we've all been in situations where we're so deep in something for so long that we can no longer see light anymore and the more we keep trudging the worse things get because we never have a chance to clear our heads and become less muddled. I think Doctor Who could very well be in that situation. Maybe the only way to get completely fresh eyes on the situation is to take a break and not just hoping things get better.
Ordinarily, I'd agree completely, but I lived through the great depression of '89-'96, and drought of '96-'05. Those were hard times. Tough decisions had to be made. Moving. Burying relatives, etc. In the end, all I, and many, felt was there was no need to have waited so long. There was an audience.

However, seeing how such a thing can happen, I'm not looking to give rise to it again. I want my kids to watch fresh Dr. Who...when I have them.

And yes, I did all that without watching a single episode this season. It's called being on the Internet. If we're not talking about stuff we don't know, we're doing it wrong.
That's your mandate.

LiddyRules

Ordinarily, I'd agree completely, but I lived through the great depression of '89-'96, and drought of '96-'05. Those were hard times. Tough decisions had to be made. Moving. Burying relatives, etc. In the end, all I, and many, felt was there was no need to have waited so long. There was an audience.

However, seeing how such a thing can happen, I'm not looking to give rise to it again. I want my kids to watch fresh Dr. Who...when I have them.
What a bizarre reason for wanting a show on the air. Or for having kids.

That's your mandate.
I have a mandate? Now the Doctor won't berate me!

Radioguy

What a bizarre reason for wanting a show on the air. Or for having kids.
I've always wanted to indoctrinate someone. Scientology wouldn't take me because I started writing Xenu fanfic, so it's this.

I have a mandate? Now the Doctor won't berate me!
Even bacteria have their place in the universe. Feel loved.

Radioguy

This last one was filler. Like leftover bits thrown together. There was one small pearl of an idea (a Gallifreyan fairy tale) that would have been explored properly during RTD or in the '80s, but not here.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
All vaginas aside, is this season worth watching?
Meh. I didn't genuinely "hate" hate the season, pretty much DW in the basics, but she's too manic, even by Who standards. Just all over the place. I guess estrogen does that to a Gallifreyan.

Radioguy

Other than intentionally unlikable characterizations (early 6th Dr), I find the least likeable portrayals of the Dr are those carried away by events without seeming in control, or giving doubt to their ability to deal with situations. That had always made Davison's 5th the worst in my eyes until now.

The Dr need not be some Machiavellian or God-like character (7th), but he/she ought to instill confidence. Even the more frivolous 2nd, 4th, and 11th did that. I just don't get it here from Whitaker. I won't fault her for the writing, though. I think they could turn it around if they dig into the character's past a bit (not complete 7th-esque mythology, but hinting) and give her some depth to show how the current persona is a rejection/reaction against something.

The sad thing is that a n00b watcher would see nothing here that implies the Dr. is not just some human woman who makes offhand anachronistic comments. Her references to past lives or historical events just don't carry the weight of inference that those comments had with previous actors. Were I watching anew, I'd assume them to be jokes. Whether past Dr's were joking wasn't clear at worst.

LiddyRules

Wait for the next "New Year's Special" episode.
A) It's not returning until 2020.
B) Chibnall said he won't use anything created by white men. Then when told he was a white man, he threw $100 to AV Club, IGN, and Screencrush to call him brave and groundbreaking.

Radioguy

A) It's not returning until 2020.
B) Chibnall said he won't use anything created by white men. Then when told he was a white man, he threw $100 to AV Club, IGN, and Screencrush to call him brave and groundbreaking.
One of those is disheartening.

mascan42

I finally caught up with the last couple of episodes. The Norway one was fine right up until that fucking frog.

mascan42

Best episode of this new era so far.

Now we go on hiatus for a year.

Radioguy

Best episode of this new era so far.
That's not saying a great deal.

A redux of
Eccleston's Dalek episode
with added Impact font and cute girl does not necessarily make up for all the shortcomings. I still think there needs to be some retooling of the cast and characterizations to make this work better.

That said...she's damned cute, that Charlotte Ritchie.

The Dalek design was the most salt shaker we've ever seen. I know we'll get a figure, but I can't imagine it looking good. It should have been even more steampunk, and based on the original series chassis given it's origin. I liked that they acknowledged the post-Hand Of Omega Skaro here though.