Dogs

Haeder

South Dakota
The nipping is endless. Teething I understand. The nipping though? Jesus. Make it stop. And it goes on for 5-6 months they say? She'll be having a nice rub, and go for a thumb to nip. She spots a toe going across the room? Runs to it and nips it. The teething I can handle with toys she likes and cold washcloths. Anyone get their Dog to stop with the nipping?
Hold her mouth shut and tell her "NO!" when she nips.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Hold her mouth shut and tell her "NO!" when she nips.
Been doing that a bunch. Not working overly well. May be her age that she's just not into listening. Gave the whole 'Let your hand go limp and ignore her' thing, which doesn't do much. The 'Yelp loudly like a dog from her litter would do' also. She's a bit of a shit.

Haeder

South Dakota
Been doing that a bunch. Not working overly well. May be her age that she's just not into listening. Gave the whole 'Let your hand go limp and ignore her' thing, which doesn't do much. The 'Yelp loudly like a dog from her litter would do' also. She's a bit of a shit.
She's a puppy - might take a month or 10.

She'll be good as gold by the time she's 2.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
She's a puppy - might take a month or 10.

She'll be good as gold by the time she's 2.
My thoughts also. Just takes time. You feed your bowser strictly dog food? Or the odd table scrap?

ysr50

Donator
My thoughts also. Just takes time. You feed your bowser strictly dog food? Or the odd table scrap?
Dog food only, unless you want a dog that's constantly begging for food while you're eating.
This really is your first rodeo.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mostly Purina Puppy Chow but he'll get some hoo-man food on a rare occasion.

He won't eat unless someone sits and watches him eat. Then he makes a mess of everything and has to clean up the floor after the bowl is empty. He can't drink without splashing water all over the place either. Messy son of a bitch.

Chip Spackler

Donator
Mostly Purina Puppy Chow but he'll get some hoo-man food on a rare occasion.

He won't eat unless someone sits and watches him eat. Then he makes a mess of everything and has to clean up the floor after the bowl is empty. He can't drink without splashing water all over the place either. Messy son of a bitch.
The Aussie Cattle mix never has water in her bowl when I go to visit the kids at my ex's...

When I give her water she always drinks so fast she pukes up a little.

The Aussie Cattle mix never has water in her bowl when I go to visit the kids at my ex's...

When I give her water she always drinks so fast she pukes up a little.
Switch the kid to a helmet with a face mask and I think you'll find water in the dog's bowl will last longer.

Haeder

South Dakota
It's blocked by a beaten up baby gate but good one.
Ugh. Baby gates.

I have 3 baby gates in my house because our dogs are assholes. They have to be kept away from sleeping and shedding on the living room furniture at night. They have to be kept from going downstairs all the time because they shed on the carpet. They always have to be kept away from the garbage because they love eating garbage.

And my wife is making noise about another puppy. A bulldog this time.

MurphCO

Donator
We have two mobile gates and one that's like 15' long that cuts the living room off for dog activity, it attaches to the wall but can be folded like those accordion walls

Ugh. Baby gates.

I have 3 baby gates in my house because our dogs are assholes. They have to be kept away from sleeping and shedding on the living room furniture at night. They have to be kept from going downstairs all the time because they shed on the carpet. They always have to be kept away from the garbage because they love eating garbage.

And my wife is making noise about another puppy. A bulldog this time.
I hope you enjoy farts and drooling...

MurphCO

Donator
It's a skittish little asshole......she is really more my wife's dog, we never bonded

I'm not a fan of her personality, other people may have kickass Italian greyhounds, we do not

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
It's a skittish little asshole......she is really more my wife's dog, we never bonded

I'm not a fan of her personality, other people may have kickass Italian greyhounds, we do not
I think a lot of women owners turn them into clingy weirdos.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Ok, first rule, no food from the table ever, and no food when you are sitting in your favorite chair eating, food is to be given at your discretion, skip a meal from time to time, only give food when a proper task is completed or the food will be removed, food is only to be eaten on your release command to do so, and the dog eats after you, always and never allowed to mill around the table, crate if need be (you do have a crate? Not too big)
table scraps are only for one kind of training “instant recall” (more on that later)

You are the master you are the alpha dog, the dog is your servant, not a friend (yet) it is your slave, it must do your bidding, it is not human, it is not a child. It’s a dog, a tool, and if need be a weapon, even a little shit chihuahua can be one.

Never strike the dog, it’s worthless and creates problems later down the road.

If the dog won’t stop “nipping” there is three things to do, recoil in complete horror, like you just got bit by a giant snake, scream like a bitch “owwww” then immediately turn your back on the dog, do this every time it nips, do not acknowledge anything other than the nip, and do not engage the dog until it begs you for love. Pet some more, no nipping, then some play with toy.

If that doesn’t work, (it usually does) you can do the same thing, recoil in horror, but don’t turn away, if it nips again grab its snout, make sure to get its lip in between its teeth and squeeze till it cry’s (its a dog, it’s not your friend (yet) it’s not a child) then let the dog go, don’t do it too long. Make him beg for love, pet and praise him when he shows love and doesn’t nip. No nipping, some toy time.

Roll the dog, you should be doing this often anyway, it establishes dominance, but, if the other two methods are not working, use method two, then before you release the snout, roll the dog on its back and do not release the dog until it stops fighting, for some added incentive bite him, on the throat or ear, throat enough pressure to make it gag, ear, a Yelp is enough, dont bite too hard. You can pop an ear vessel

After every interaction like this have a toy handy a special or favorite toy, do not buy too many toys, and, for now you control the toy, it’s your toy and you (the alpha) are allowing the dog to play with your toy, with him.

I can’t emphasize how important play is, it’s the number one way to train our dog, yes, food treats are the fastest but play is more important, using play as the reward ensures the dog will do what you want when you want, because it will quickly learn that food isn’t always given, and they will lose interest in following your commands if treats are not always given, it’s easier to toss a ball or a stick than it is to carry around treats everywhere

I highly recommend a “gentle leader” they are available at most pet stores, and follow the videos, this is something that you need to put on the puppy right away before it gets too big and fights with it, fuck choke chains, fuck pinch collar fuckall that cruel shit.

I trained two Weimaraners for 13 years non stop, and trained countless other dogs.

Dogs are easy to train, people are difficult, your chick, your kids your friends all must follow the exact same rules if not, the dog will get fucked up because of mixed messages, think of dogs as retards, high functioning retards, and if given the choice a retard is always going to choose the easy candy, but a hug will do.

I also like Cesar Milan his training regimen works, learning how to read a dogs body language is key to control and vital for training.

Now my failures, dizzy, my Boston I bought for my wife before our divorce was a complete failure and I completely blame myself, I never played with her enough, I let my wife train her (lack of train) and it showed, we treated her like the”baby” and it completely spoiled her, I admit this freely.

Now Ralph (my current dog) is also a bit of a failure on my part because I don’t play with him enough, I don’t trust him off leash because of my lack of interaction with him and he has a wild hair up his ass and doesn’t give a shit, this is my fault, because I never established proper training perimeters with my current wife, so, the retard, chooses candy every time, I’m slowly working on him but, it’s slow

Ya my late border collie never "knew" there was food on the table... took her to Canada and I told my dad do not feed her from the table. And guess what for the rest of her life she would be waiting near the table doing the "I'm starving bit"...

I've never hit a dog... but did have this small pillow full of rice husks or something... and if one of them was doing something bad all I had to do was tip it back in forth so it would make a noise and 9 times out of 10 they would stop. Now if it kept going last resort was to wing it at the offender...

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
The yard toys seem to be working with Bindy - loves the pool, the rope swing bucket, and has annihilated the balls. Bummed, I wish I took a pic of it, but bought some medium sized pork femurs and one giant one - the 16" monsters. Gave it to her Saturday as we knew we'd be gone 6+ hours and was hoping it's be enough to keep her from going nuts. Got home and couldn't find it - that sucker ate it down to the two ends - where the rest went I've no idea but the cams showed her working on it every hour.

Hasn't shit or pissed in the house or cage for a solid week, so that's going well. She almost freely goes into the kennel at night now, also awesome. We wrestle rough once in the morning and once in the evening, plus walks at night too. Her walks are better every day - without distractions (kids, other dogs, etc.) she's perfect, sits when stops, barely tugs away, etc. Still can't grasp "stay", so that's what I'm working on now. Neighborhood kids love her and play too, a little rough on them but she never nips or bites, just head butting and pushing and licking.

Really pleased, hopefully only a few more months of puppiness and she won't be quite as work intensive.

I can’t imagine why anybody would want a slobbering dog.
On of my broads has two right now... they are adorable but ya the farting and constant drooling is a bit much. That and the male doesn't play nice with other dogs...

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Got nipped by another dog on our walk tonight - mine was perfect. Little boxer looking thing came charging, Bindy stayed put and after a little sniffing the other dog started the ruckus. Pulled mine away but the little bastard nipped my calf thru my pants. Owner came and got him but why they didn't have him on a leash, I don't know...I know I don't trust mine yet, but I want her to keep interacting with other dogs and people as much as possible so I guess it's a trade off.

Man it's nice to have have the "good" dog for a change!

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Got nipped by another dog on our walk tonight - mine was perfect. Little boxer looking thing came charging, Bindy stayed put and after a little sniffing the other dog started the ruckus. Pulled mine away but the little bastard nipped my calf thru my pants. Owner came and got him but why they didn't have him on a leash, I don't know...I know I don't trust mine yet, but I want her to keep interacting with other dogs and people as much as possible so I guess it's a trade off.

Man it's nice to have have the "good" dog for a change!
Did they at least apologize?

MurphCO

Donator
It's a really good sign that she didn't react to the other dog, that's a huge win with a shelter rescue pitty mix