OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Doing Hunting - 2018

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Haeder, Sep 30, 2017.

1. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

I thought I read that they are over taking the mule deer populations in many western states because they are prolific breeders, we have a real problem with them around here overpopulation in the suburbs is bad leading to disease like chronic wasting and just flat out starvation, they browse the trees so bad that you can tell how big they are by the height of the damage, and of course the fucking tree huggers cry when they cull them.... what the fuck is wrong with these morons

2. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

I remember bivouacking in Oklahoma during Army basic training. Those things would wander around our camp like cattle. I woke up and was surprised that they were only a few feet away and that the fuckers were gigantic. You could possibly toss a saddle on one and ride them. You'd only see a white tail if you chanced on one and then it would be a just few seconds and they're gone. This was like a herd of farm animals. It's a shame all that meat goes to waste.

#77 Bobobie, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  3. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

A couple things prevent whitetails from overtaking mule deer populations:

1-Habitat. Whitetails prefer wooded areas and mulies prefer open ground.

2-Hunters. Bunny huggers aren't well received in western states so deer hunters help control deer populations. In urban areas deer overpopulation is often handled by government approved sharpshooters who bait deer and shoot them in the head to prevent them from running off.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  4. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Some friends just returned from an archery mule deer hunt on public land in northwest South Dakota. Much success. Deer were arrowed at 10, 30 and 66 yards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They had to quarter them to haul them 2-3 miles over rugged terrain back to their camp site.

[​IMG]

5. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Off next week to hunt.

Will provide updates.

gleet likes this.
  6. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

7. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

Run Bambi!

8. NotSoFast

NotSoFast Registered User

One of my friends used to date a chick named Bambi. I asked her why she had a dude's name and she got confused. She said Bambi didn't have antlers so she was a girl deer. I said in the beginning, Bambi didn't because he was a fawn. After he grew up, he had antlers, making him a buck, as in a male deer. That's why you have a man's name. Dwight broke up with her soon after. This was not the only reason she was a ditzy bitch.

9. gleet

I shot a whitetail doe with 5 points in velvet with a 17 Ackley Improved Bee Contender once. Once.

10. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

I have heard of an antlered doe but you're the first person I "know" that's actually shot one.

Used a dilapidated shed for a ground blind tonight. It's 24 yards south of a well worn deer trail with lots of fresh buck sign nearby. No deer came by it this evening but a squirrel sat on what's left of the roof and caused a ruckus. So that was exciting.

[​IMG]

My selfie camera resolution leaves something to be desired.

11. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

A friend killed a deer tonight.

[​IMG]

The arrow went in one side, came out the other, and stuck in a tree.

[​IMG]

Poor tree.

THE FEZ MAN and gleet like this.
  12. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

Shot a rabbit with a crossbow one time, arrow went through side to side, rabbit took off running (hopping?) and got caught between 2 trees because of the arrow sicking out.

13. NotSoFast

I did that with an armadillo. He ran to his hole, but couldn't get in with the arrow in him.

14. gleet

I've always hunted most small game with rubber blunts. I like the inverted cone style, my hunting buddy likes the more rounded ones. I made a little longbow for my boy along with blunt arrows. He hated them but they don't slide under grass and get lost. He brought it on a hunt and my wife shot an elk. We got it loaded and across the creek sat a cottontail sunning himself. I said shoot him. He fired from 25 yards and center punched the forehead. The arrow bounced back a few feet. Rabbit barely changed position. My boy was astounded how well it killed.

15. maz

maz TRueWDTer

ANTIFA !!!

16. NotSoFast

I found Judo tips to be effective. A glancing shot could eviscerate a small animal.

[​IMG]

17. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Can confirm. Judo points do damage on small game. I've got a couple of them but my thrifty nature led me to seek a less expensive option. A star washer behind a field point does plenty of damage for a fraction of the cost.

[​IMG]

Morning hunting report - 1 deer. Heard a fawn bleat to the east. Stood up. Grabbed the bow and hooked the release to the string. Looked east. Nothing. Looked again. Nothing. The fawn appeared 6 yards northeast of me. Sneaky bugger. It wandered west and over the fence. It was within 10 yards for about 30 seconds. Perfect opportunity. Small deer.

Then the critters really started to move. This pair came by at 20 yards. So yummy.

[​IMG]

Back out tonight.

18. gleet

A 4 year old with a longbow gets rubber blunts. Don't make a maniac out of me.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  19. gleet

Another use for a few blunts in the quiver. Sweating at the water trough waiting on an antelope, you can partially draw your neolithic snakeskin flatbow with beaver tail handle and wack a big range bull for practice. Look at those flies come off him.

20. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Saw zero deer tonight.

No wind. Clear skies. Full moon. Comfortable temps.

21. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

I found out some interesting things about deer hunting on Assitigue, apparently, the Sika deer are not actually deer, they are considered elk, they were introduced to the island in the 1920’s and are pests, they have really high bag limits, like 3 doe and an antlered deer which don’t effect your Maryland bag limits, one nad yes, at least one jackass has shot a fucking horse

22. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Spent the morning downwind from a hog barn. Saw zero. They are knifing liquid pig shit in to the field south of the stand. Might be the last hunt from that stand for a while.

[​IMG]

23. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Been seeing deer. Nothing worth reporting until tonight.

Saw a mature buck at 60 yards but on the wrong side of the trees. Think I've got a good chance to get a shot at him in the nest few days. Here's the spot.

[​IMG]

The corner post is 40 yards. He was about 30 yards to the right of the corner post. There's also a trail two steps from where I'm sitting. There is a fence at my back so nothing should sneak in from behind.

Back out tomorrow.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  24. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Sat to the left of the corner post in the picture above this morning. Had a doe and a buck within 20 yards. The buck will be a shooter next year. He's a 5x5 that scores about 125" right now.

Saw two bucks at another spot tonight. A decent 4x4 at 16 yards and another that passed outside of antler-seeing range through the trees. I was in the stand at 3:20pm and the 4x4 came by at 3:22pm. The other buck came by around 5:20pm.

gleet likes this.
  25. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

20+ mph winds today. Sat on the ground in a ghiille suit.

At sunrise a doe trotted by at 7 yards. A few moments later a small buck showed up on her trail. Forkhorn. Five minutes later she came by again at 7 yards with the little buck chasing her. They came by again a few minutes later. Still 7 yards. He stopped in front of me long enough for me to determine he was a small 3x3 and not a forkhorn. They came by again after about 10 minutes and that was the last I saw of them.

Then I got cold and quit.