Doing Hunting - 2019

Haeder

South Dakota
I hope you are privy to the final outcome.
I know the guy that introduced the baiter to the landowners in the first place and he verbally shredded the baiter earlier in the week and made him vacate the premises.

Both of his ladder stands and his ground blind were gone when the conservation officers were on the property but he didn't clean up his bait so the officers were able to bag up more than enough evidence. He was cited for using salt to attract big game and the conservation officers told me that I don't have to worry about being cited for hunting a baited area now that the bait sites have all been cleaned up.

Rough way for the baiter to learn a lesson.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
A field in front of our house has elks and the guy doesn't allow hunting. But then, he let the husband of my wife's friend hunt and he got a bull. They quartered it and hung in a shed for a week. They knew she can butcher and asked her help, Yada yada, she came home with half an elk cut and wrapped. Had steaks for supper.

Haeder

South Dakota
A field in front of our house has elks and the guy doesn't allow hunting. But then, he let the husband of my wife's friend hunt and he got a bull. They quartered it and hung in a shed for a week. They knew she can butcher and asked her help, Yada yada, she came home with half an elk cut and wrapped. Had steaks for supper.
Your wife knows how to butcher? Can I borrow her? For science.

How was the elk?

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Your wife knows how to butcher? Can I borrow her? For science.

How was the elk?
Growing up, her dad would kill a hog and she wanted to help butcher. No, men's work. Then she asked me. Sure, cut right here. She got good enough after lots of big animals that she can do a fat hog with our boy and all I have to do is shoot and stick.

The elk was great, cooked medium rare, tender and juicy.

5skin

Somewhere on Molly Ringwald
Growing up, her dad would kill a hog and she wanted to help butcher. No, men's work. Then she asked me. Sure, cut right here. She got good enough after lots of big animals that she can do a fat hog with our boy and all I have to do is shoot and stick.

The elk was great, cooked medium rare, tender and juicy.
Her and you're boy sound great,
I still question you.

Haeder

South Dakota
$18,200 in fines, $4,360.06 in restitution, equipment used in the crimes and two deer heads forfeited. Hopefully, their vehicle(s), rifles and spotlights were included in the equipment forfeited.

Fuck 'em.
I would've preferred to see all that plus a good chunk of jail time thrown in for good measure, but that's just me.

Fuck 'em indeed.

$18,200 in fines, $4,360.06 in restitution, equipment used in the crimes and two deer heads forfeited. Hopefully, their vehicle(s), rifles and spotlights were included in the equipment forfeited.

Fuck 'em.
One of there charges " ...and Illegal Ammo for Taking of Big Game." What were they shooting it with a 22 to keep the noise down?

Haeder

South Dakota
One of there charges " ...and Illegal Ammo for Taking of Big Game." What were they shooting it with a 22 to keep the noise down?
That's my guess.

Could be using birdshot and a shotgun but a .22 makes more sense.

NotSoFast

Yep. Illegal to hunt deer with small calibers. Tack on as many charges as you can.

Haeder

South Dakota
Participated in a political fundraiser today.

Shot pen-raised pheasants. Ate good food. Got cool swag. Free ice. Was loved and respected.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Participated in a political fundraiser today.

Shot pen-raised pheasants. Ate good food. Got cool swag. Free ice. Was loved and respected.
I moved my oilskins today reaching for my waders, and thought, I really should go on a canned quail hunt this year

Haeder

South Dakota
I moved my oilskins today reaching for my waders, and thought, I really should go on a canned quail hunt this year
After almost three decades of hunting wild birds it's hard to get excited about killing pen raised roosters. I still killed the shit out of them. But I wasn't super excited about it.

THE FEZ MAN

After almost three decades of hunting wild birds it's hard to get excited about killing pen raised roosters. I still killed the shit out of them. But I wasn't super excited about it.
The only hunting around here is canned, I used to do a tower shoot with my men’s club but I got pissed at the guy who ran it, a few of the members go out to South Dakota every year but I’ve never been invited, one of our other members is a guide at a local Game farm I’ve gone with him several times, his dogs are well trained it cost about $300

Haeder

South Dakota
This buck was killed by my cousin this evening. Another buck was killed within a mile of his stand tonight as well. Haven't seen pics of the other deer yet.

THE FEZ MAN

That’s a giant deer compared to them around here

THE FEZ MAN

Deer that size aren't uncommon around here. Mid-western, corn-fed, fayt-bodies. That deer is probably only 3.5 or 4.5 years old.
Aren’t white tail an invasive species there?

Nice buck. That corn field looks pretty wet, was the corn taken down recently? Where I hunt in Wisconsin there's still a lot corn up due to the wet conditions. Plus are they starting to rut in your area? Should be any day for us.

THE FEZ MAN

I’ve seen more dead on the side of the road than I have in the back of pickups, a few doe and a maybe 3 point, all hit by cars

Haeder

South Dakota
Aren’t white tail an invasive species there?
Sort of.

Whitetails are generally a woodland critter and the prairie was almost entirely devoid of trees until the 1900s. Riverbottoms were about the only place trees could be found prior to then. When trees were planted on the prairies the whitetails moved in and thrived.

NotSoFast

No farming down here. A good buck weighs about 140 around here.

Haeder

South Dakota
Nice buck. That corn field looks pretty wet, was the corn taken down recently? Where I hunt in Wisconsin there's still a lot corn up due to the wet conditions. Plus are they starting to rut in your area? Should be any day for us.
I think that field was cut for silage over a month ago. Recent rains have made some of the fields muddy and slowed the combine crews a bit. About 50-75% of the corn around here has been harvested.

The rut is just starting here. Bucks are checking on does but not sexually harassing them - yet.