Don’t spring forward to set clocks back just yet

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
Don’t fall behind just yet. Lest you forgot, Congress voted in 2005 to delay the autumnal change from daylight savings to standard time by one week, from the last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in November, starting in 2007.

So the date to set your clock an hour earlier is Nov. 4, not tomorrow.

Confusion is inevitable: For the first time, trick-or-treaters will begin their rounds Wednesday in fading sunlight instead of creeping darkness — certainly a bummer for costumed Draculas, Darth Vaders, ghosts, Day- Glo skeletons and such.

On the other hand, most of us won’t wake up in total darkness quite as soon as we did a year ago.

The change from standard time to daylight savings last March — three weeks earlier than had been the norm for two decades — caught lots of folks off guard. Adults drove to work and youngsters waited for buses without dawn’s early light. Electronic calendars, hand-held computers and networks that run airports and college campuses had to be programmed to recognize the switch. It cost the University at Buffalo more than $200,000 to realign its three-campus system.

Messing with nature’s clock, which follows the rather dependable movements of the sun and moon, has always been controversial.

Standardtime.com, part of a vocal minority opposed to setting time by fiat, disputes Congress’s assertion that the latest change will result in energy savings.

It cost U.S. companies “billions” to reset automated equipment, “put us further out of sync with Asia and Africa time-wise, inconvenienced most of the country, all in the name of unproven studies that claim we save energy,” the organization fumes on its Web site. “If we are saving energy, let’s go year round with daylight savings time. If we are not saving energy, let’s drop daylight savings time!” standardtime.com urges.

Further fueling the flap, German researchers claim in this week’s Current Biology that while daylight savings time may give people an extra hour of sunlight, their internal body clocks never really adjust.

Circadian rhythm — the internal clock — follows the sun and changes depending on where you live, said lead researcher Till Roenneberg of Ludwig-Maximilians University in Munich. That clock actually changes in four-minute intervals, precisely the time it takes for the sun to cross one line of longitude, he points out.

Worse, seasonal disruptions caused by daylight savings time might have other effects on our bodies. “We forget that there is a biological clock that is as old as living organisms, a clock that cannot be fooled,” Roenneberg said.
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/193314.html

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I have always thought this whole concept of setting clocks forward/back was just plain stupid.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I like standard time & so does my internal clock. The change of seasons from summer to fall messes me up and then when the time changes it gets even worse. By the time we go from fall to winter, I'm pretty much a basket case.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
The whole time thing is fucking stupid. They should just leave the fucker at the same time all year.

Changing ONE fucking hour on the clock doesn't save energy or money.

The only thing that should change should be when you go do shit, on your own if you are wanting more daylight.

When I worked for the state not only did the time change but our hours changed between summer and winter. So we'd just show up to work earlier and get off earlier or we would show up later and leave later depending on what transition.

I don't worry with changing my clocks, they are atomic clocks that set themselves and change when NORAD switches over for daylight savings.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I like standard time & so does my internal clock. The change of seasons from summer to fall messes me up and then when the time changes it gets even worse. By the time we go from fall to winter, I'm pretty much a basket case.
I prefer the hours for the Winter. It fucks me up swtiching back during the Spring because I have my sleep patterns down and it also fucks with bowel movements because you've got that on a schedule as well and everything is thrown off. I don't fucking like it.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
We're basically the same Sam, except I'm more of a summer person. I had a shrink once tell me to move to Australia for the winter since our winter is their summer. Not the brightest of shrinks which is why I found another.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
But guys, WE GET AN EXTRA HOUR OF SLEEP!!!!:rolleyes:
Do we?

It's on a fucking weekend. I go to bed when I want on the weekend, and get up when I want. Honestly, that's not much different than during the week - but I digress, it's still a bunch of bunk.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
But guys, WE GET AN EXTRA HOUR OF SLEEP!!!!:rolleyes:
I don't consider it an extra hour of sleep, more of an extra hour of darkness to sleep in. That's one of the things that bugs me about summer. Coming home late and going to bed at 4 a.m., then damn before you know it, there's the sun coming up. If I remember the whole daylight savings time, was started I believe during the First World War. So yeah, I think its time to retire it.

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
http://www.wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=62850

This shit has gone too far.

Wintertime means less daylight hours and more night hours. Summertime means more daylight hours and less night hours. This is the natural way.

Right before winter starts we move our clocks back. On the day we do that if it's 5pm, it's now 4pm and darker earlier, even though it would naturally be darker because winter is upon us.

Right before spring starts we move our clocks ahead. On the day we do that if it's 5pm, its now 6pm and lighter earlier even though it would naturally be lighter because spring is upon us.

Am I the only one that realizes that if we didn't fuck with the clocks, then during winter it would be lighter later without changing the clocks, and in the summer it would be darker earlier without changing the clocks, but it would not be so drastic as it is when we change the time we keep?

WHY do we make it darker earlier in the winter when it would normally be darker earlier in the winter and vice versa? WHAT THE FUCK? CAN WE NOT JUST LEAVE TIME ALONE? "spring AHEAD and fall BACK" or just fucking DO NOTHING. It's like turning a light switch that's off, ON, then turning it back off 5 seconds later. If you just left it off it would remain OFF. It wouldn't go MORE OFF as time went on, it would just stay OFF. Fast forward a DVD movie 10 minutes, then rewind it 10 minutes - you are AT THE SAME SPOT. You didn't fuck up time, you just went forward then back. Same with time and sunlight and seasons. :icon_conf

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I'm a night-owl. Therefore, anything that makes daylight go away faster is alright with me.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
Do you mean you like daylight savings time better? After the clocks are turned back, it'll be standard time.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
I cant stand this time of year before the time changes how much energy are you saving when you have to turn on you lights in the morning. By the time you get home you have to use the lights either way. Street lights are alway on so there is no saving there.

queeby

Irrelevant Liberal
Jun 12, 2004
Columbus OH
My work hours change from 10-7 to 9-6 during the winter. That is kind of nice, for a little bit, but I definatley prefer the summer time change.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Good thing I noticed . . . my alarm clock, which is supposedly set by the atomic clock signal, set itself back an hour this morning. If I hadn't noticed, I'd have been an hour late for work tomorrow.