Don't call it "Ground Zero" anymore

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
‘Ground Zero’ is a term that no longer applies, according to NYC mayor

By Jess Wisloski | The Upshot – 21 hrs ago

The 9/11 Museum pavillion (Ben Fractenberg/DNAinfo.com)

Ten years after the terrorist attacks, and less than a week from the ribbon-cutting at the new World Trade Center, the New York City mayor says it's time to retire Ground Zero.
In a speech delivered this morning on Wall Street, Michael Bloomberg said the new construction and memorial on the site has made the name no longer fitting, news site DNAinfo.com reports.
"We will never forget the devastation of the area that came to be known as 'Ground Zero' -- never," Bloomberg told the Association for a Better New York at a breakfast appearance, adding that the "the time has come for us to call those 16 acres what they are: The World Trade Center and the National September 11th Memorial and Museum." (Read more and see photos of the memorial at DNAinfo.com)
His call for the name change isn't the first: For years Downtown residents have asked officials to stop calling the two rising skyscrapers and eight-acre memorial "Ground Zero," according to the article, saying that moniker recognizes only the past destruction rather than the promise of recovery.
The largest tower at the new World Trade Center will reach 1,776 feet, becoming the tallest building in the country when completed, while towers two, three, and four will each be successively shorter.
Despite the years of construction delays and cost overruns, Bloomberg says the half-finished office complex on the site of the former twin towers is the center of a growing and vibrant neighborhood, which boasts its highest population since the 1920s.
Bloomberg pointed out that Lower Manhattan gained 4,000 new school seats, 19 new hotels, $260 million in new parks, and more new residents in the past decade than Atlanta, Dallas, and Philadelphia combined, DNAinfo.com reports.
"New York has come roaring back faster than anyone thought possible," Bloomberg told his audience of community leaders.
In addition to the skyscrapers, the site's eight-acre memorial consists of two sunken foundations at the exact spots where the towers used to stand. Inside the foundations are reflecting pools, and bronze protective walls atop the pools are etched with victims' names. The memorial and the museum are set to open Sunday, on the 10th anniversary of the attacks.
"I believe the rebirth and revitalization of Lower Manhattan will be remembered as one of the greatest comeback stories in American history," Bloomberg told the group. "And I believe it will stand as our greatest monument to those we lost on 9/11."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/ground-zero-term-no-longer-applies-according-nyc-160024481.html

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Ground zero is the ground beneath Bloomberg's feet. Fucking zilch.

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Probably while shitting.

FellowTraveler

Frank Reynolds is my hero
Jul 24, 2005
I consider myself lucky that I do not live in a city that Bloomberg is in charge of.

Sep 28, 2010
I was pretty enraged on 9/11, and luckily everyone that i knew there got out safe.....but honestly I'm getting sick of the cheese dicketry surrounding anything to do with 9/11. Science channel has been playing the same commercial over and over about the special that is going to air showing the rebuilding of ground zero. and this one line makes me cringe every time, "the angels will come down from heaven and collect the souls"

"New York has come roaring back faster than anyone thought possible," Bloomberg told his audience of community leaders.
Oh shut up you limp wristed closet fruit.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I wouldn't have a problem if there was an effort to "rebrand" the sight to something more positive with the progress being made there but who the fuck does Bloomberg think he is to tell people they shouldn't use it anymore. If Rudy Giuliani came out with this speech I still don't think I'd agree but I wouldn't question him delivering it. Bloomberg had nothing to do with 9/11 or the aftermath. Fuck him for trying to tell us what we should call the site. Is there a more hate-able person than Bloomberg?

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
It's ground zero until the new one's done. Even then, it'll still be ground zero.

Sep 28, 2010
Is there a more hate-able person than Bloomberg?
No. The guy is a fucking queef. Every single time I hear him speak at a press conference, it sounds like he is whining. And if he doesn't get his way he finds another way to make people suffer for it (see East River Bridge Crossing toll plan) I love Jim Norton's hatred for him and I'm glad someone in the semi-spot light is calling out bloomberg.

If he doesn't get his way he throws tantrums.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
If you only knew....she's one of our listeners. I don't know why, to be honest. Every single one of our hosts despises her. She even called me an idiot once (on Twitter) for bashing the TSA. Who the hell defends the TSA?

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Why am I not surprised you'd name a hockey player?

If you only knew....she's one of our listeners. I don't know why, to be honest. Every single one of our hosts despises her. She even called me an idiot once (on Twitter) for bashing the TSA. Who the hell defends the TSA?
Trust me, I am WELL aware of how much of a fucking cunt she is.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I wouldn't have a problem if there was an effort to "rebrand" the sight to something more positive with the progress being made there but who the fuck does Bloomberg think he is to tell people they shouldn't use it anymore. If Rudy Giuliani came out with this speech I still don't think I'd agree but I wouldn't question him delivering it. Bloomberg had nothing to do with 9/11 or the aftermath. Fuck him for trying to tell us what we should call the site. Is there a more hate-able person than Bloomberg?
I was thinking the same thing. I get what he's going for, a "not letting them win" type mentality but he's such an utter fucktard nobody wants to hear it.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
New York has come roaring back faster than anyone thought possible," Bloomberg told his audience of community leaders.
He's right. The fact that they were able to start any meaningful construction after only a decade is pretty good... I didn't think it was possible.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
"the time has come for us to call those 16 acres what they are: The World Trade Center and the National September 11th Memorial and Museum."
The Pearl Harbor and National December 7th USS Arizona Memorial.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
As long as we all honor these fine people on Sunday, I don't give a fuck what it's called..

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
I dont care for semantics but I actually love the idea that the subway stops will have never stopped saying world trade center all this time. I think that is a good thing.

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
I hate our fucking mayor with a passion. That said, I agree with him on this. I have NEVER called it "Ground Zero." I've always referred to it as the World Trade Center.