Door bell camera / security cameras

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
I'm going to throw up some POEs: one at the front door and one at the side gate.

I'd like to get a doorbell cam/audio later when it's less buggy. I'd love to be able to (remotely) tell people to fuck off.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
it will require some effort in getting everything to play nice.

Cliff note, fezman will never get it to work right and he should pay for the service.
Perfect I will pay, thanks for the advice ;)

THE FEZ MAN

Well the camera is up and running, it's a little laggy when using live view and of course I have to update firmware to make it work.... ugggg fucking nerds and there goddamn softwear nonsense, so if it works well I'm going to buy another one for the back door

I'm going to throw up some POEs: one at the front door and one at the side gate.

I'd like to get a doorbell cam/audio later when it's less buggy. I'd love to be able to (remotely) tell people to fuck off.
My dogs throat spitting on the windows do that for me...

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Taken me the better part of a year to make the least expensive equipment with mid-pack reviews rock solid reliable (updated router, software updates, etc.) It still saved me a thousands of $$$ over having it done for me though, and I'm one of them idiots that just plods along a project until it's what I want.

If you're doing it yourself, I don't believe "foolproof" is an option with ANY equipment...

THE FEZ MAN

That was part of the reason I bought mine, it has a two way intercom built in that I can access from my phone from where ever, I messed with it today and like I said although a little laggy it works, only thing was it did miss my sister in law leaving, but. It did catch the school bus dropping kids off. I showed it to her and she didn't relize it was a camera which was perfect, so, I'm probably going to buy another one

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I looked hard at the Kuna but needed one that mounts overhead. Six months ago they told me that we're developing an overhead model. I got tired of waiting and bought three Nest cameras.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Blue Iris gurus:

I just got a new HD and connected it to the router for storing all the recorder camera clips.

When I had BI using my laptop storage, the right column would just list the videos the cameras had recorded.

Now the recordings are showing up on the network drive OK, but so are a fuck load of jpgs. The video clips are designated "bvr h264", but anything else designated jpg or "motion a", etc. are unreadable stills.

The only thing I changed was the location of the new storage - any ideas what else I did to start getting all these stills too?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
Reviving this thread. I believe I'm in need of a security camera/monitor to watch my son while I'm at work in shower room. Can anyone recommend a decent camera with a dedicated screen? I don't be able to watch him on a computer screen while I work. Thanks.

That baby monitor setup has some nice features.

If you already have a TV with a composite input (yellow RCA connector) then you can connect a nearly endless amount of inexpensive wired analog CCTV cameras. If you don't have a TV a small car monitor that you use for DVD players would be pretty cheap. This is assuming running the wire to camera, of course there are wireless options here too, but wireless can be a pain depending on what wireless signals are running in the house.

Also no batteries to charge.

THE FEZ MAN

So, I bought and installed another Kuna, the bugaboo, there was no power where I needed to install the light, so I had to tap off an existing outdoor outlet, I ended up running the power up the service line from the street to the house meter then put up a piece of pressure treated as a nailer right under where my gable meets the stucco, I ran the wire along the nailer than down to where I wanted to mount the light/camera, because I didn’t have an existing junction box, I had to build something to enclose the junction box, it kind of looks like a bird house but it works I covered the wire on the nailer with the same cedar that I built the light holder out of, the only thing that I haven’t done a is stayed one wire but I ran out of daylight.
And as expected, I turned the power on opened the app and bingo, worked like a charm

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I noticed Kuna makes floodlight cameras now. This has me interested. I got the three Nest cameras outdoor and two Amcrest cameras inside. But, the sides of the house aren't covered - just front and back. Granted, you can't easily to the sides of the house without being seen by the front/back cameras. I'd consider replacing the Nest stuff with the Kunda floodlight cameras. It would be a much cleaner solution.

THE FEZ MAN

I’m actually really happy with the amount of light that it’s putting out, our side door, is our main entry, I had been relying on a few cheep solar lights to illuminate the two steps up to the door but that wasn’t working, and the other night I almost broke my fucking neck tripping on the step, the camera angle isn’t perfect but it’s effective, honestly the quality of the night recording isn’t that great with the led that comes with the camera but, it is doing what I want it to do which is providing light a both entry ways and the camera is a plus.
I would like to get one more either one attached to my garage pointing out to replace an existing motion light that is no longer working, or, replace my back door light which would look towards the garage, I’m not a huge fan of a camera pointed into my garage, just because the idea of being watched all the time bothers me.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
There is something incredibly wonderful about being in West Carolina and telling a shifty-looking rat fuck selling magazine subscriptions on my front porch in Indiana to fuck directly off.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I would like to get one more either one attached to my garage pointing out to replace an existing motion light that is no longer working, or, replace my back door light which would look towards the garage, I’m not a huge fan of a camera pointed into my garage, just because the idea of being watched all the time bothers me.
I am the only one with access to my cameras, so it doesn't bother me. The Nest camera footage is stored in their cloud, so I know it's not secure but they are outside so I really don't care. My indoor cameras record locally to my Synology NAS, and I can look at them real-time from my sail foam if needed for some reason.

THE FEZ MAN

I’m a little disappointed with the camera angles but they are effective in catching both drive way entrances, the side door light is more to provide illumination the camera was just a plus, the wire running to the light is irritating to me so I’m probably going to make another piece of trim out of cedar to cover it, I installed a junction box above the other window In case I needed to install another lamp, which I might do but haven’t decided yet. From a distance you can’t tell I ran the wire up the service line.

Yes I’m white trash and left my Christmas lights up, and they will stay up till they burn out. I’m also a little disappointed by my lamp holder box, it’s about 6” too low, actually the junction box for the lamp is too low and that is just were I had to put it. Also on the short list is having all the clapboards replaced on the gables/dormers, with cedar, there is also some rot under the bathroom window that has to be addressed , ahhh the joys of owning a 100 year old house.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
There's some really nice composite materials out there that look just like various species of wood without the maintenance and headaches....

THE FEZ MAN

There's some really nice composite materials out there that look just like various species of wood without the maintenance and headaches....
Yea.... no. It’s getting the cedar we (the Mrs) and I had an extensive discussion about what to do with it, the general consensus is that the existing materials have lasted close to 100 years replacing the existing materials with a composite would devalue the house considerably not to mention make it look less “charming” the house across the street from ours has had extensive remodeling done since we have moved in (I swear the Frenchman’s wife is having an affair with the carpenters) they have basically destroyed a 100+ year old stone farm house with vinyl siding and replacement windows, same with next door, I think the house directly next door is newer (1950’s) but built in the Center hall colonial style of the time, with stone accents and facade, but they also went with the cheep vinyl siding and replacement windows, while this is appealing to some, my wife and I completely despise it, we are actually contemplating having the stucco stripped from the side in the photo to see what’s under it, it is kind of difficult to see in the photo but there is a bricked up door in the middle of that wall, you can clearly see the patch job in person, I think, that that wall is old time “cinder block” which is actually black not the light grey we have now days, depending on what we find, we would then have that wall and the front part re stuccoed Depending on what’s underneath.
I’m probably going to have another stain glass window put in the mud room/main entrance (the tree pane window by the door)
The other “when we decide to shit money” is look into either a real slate roof, or a Tesla slate roof https://www.tesla.com/solarroof . If the Tesla one looks nearly as nice in person as in the photos I absolutely will do it, since the cost will be about the same as a real slate roof (100 year roof)

And yes, I’m puttin in a New side entry door and re trimming it

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Picked up a Ring 2 doorbell last week to add to the other cameras. Not sure what people see in them... mine was a POS. Laggy as hell, constant disconnects, and being cloud based is the worst.

My porch is well sheltered so I grabbed a Foscam on an Amazon lightening deal for $45. Works perfectly with the Blue Iris software I'm using for the other cams. Still have the mic and speaker, and this is very clear, zoomable/PTZ steerable.

Much happier.