Doug Stanhope Rules

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This doesn't necessarily pertain to the show, but I couldn't think of a better forum to put it.
StanhopeTV at YouTube.com said:
Published on Apr 8, 2013
On April 2, 2013 the Bisbee Arizona City Council held a vote to approve Civil Unions for gay couples. The meeting opened with an invocation by a local Pastor, Warren Griffen. Shortly thereafter, Doug Stanhope got up to speak.

The measure passed in a 5-2 vote approving civil unions in Bisbee.

0:00 - Mayor Adriana Badal opens the meeting
0:25 - Pastor Warren begins his invocation
2:57- Doug Stanhope speaks

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
Dec 18, 2012
Straya cunt
Doug's got to be the most underrated comic today.

His last appearance on O&A was great, too. He should always be fucked up.

Blotto

Jun 2, 2012
Stanhope is one of those 'comedians' that people become fans of because they agree with what he says, not because he's actually funny, because he isn't.

Lots of "I agree with your views" applauses and cheers from his crowds, very few actual laughs.

Last edited:

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
Stanhope is one of those "comedians" that people follow and applaud because they agree with what he says, not because he's actually funny, because he isn't.
I think Stanhope is brilliant and has a great take on most things, but I agree in that I don't really find him that funny.

His last appearance on O&A was great, too. He should always be fucked up.
He is always fucked up. That's his thing. And I though was getting really obnoxious during that appearance when he went after Jimmy about going to AA. I could tell Jim was getting fed up but Jim's not one to back down. I got tired of Stanhope blathering his single opinion incessantly for about half an hour.

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
Dec 18, 2012
Straya cunt
I think Stanhope is brilliant and has a great take on most things, but I agree in that I don't really find him that funny.

He is always fucked up. That's his thing. And I though was getting really obnoxious during that appearance when he went after Jimmy about going to AA. I could tell Jim was getting fed up but Jim's not one to back down. I got tired of Stanhope blathering his single opinion incessantly for about half an hour.
Every other time he's been on the show, it's a sober Doug, and I agree with his assessment of himself because he's not an outstanding guest unless he's pissed. I too, though, thought that he was uncomfortably arguing with Jim, although I let it slide because Jim himself sounds like he takes it too seriously.

I find him to be hilarious. I'm not a completist with artists unless I really like them, and I own everything he's put out including numerous bootlegs. It's unfortunate that he's not an interesting interview and he's clearly unmotivated in his craft, because at least then he'd be a cult hit.

Blotto

Jun 2, 2012
I think Stanhope is brilliant and has a great take on most things, but I agree in that I don't really find him that funny..
He's got some interesting views and develops some fairly original social commentary that he shares on stage.

But lets be honest, he really should just drop the word "Comedian" from his business cards and tour as "Spoken Word" artist Doug Stanhope.

The dude isn't up on stage and trying to make people laugh, that is clearly not his primary goal as a performer. He's up there lecturing and trying to challenge the audience on their cultural beliefs and assumptions about life. There's a few scattered laughs, but the cheering and clapping is the dominant audience reaction because this particular audience is receptive to his message, people are agreeing with him.

Last edited:

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
He's got some interesting views and develops some fairly original social commentary that he shares on stage.

But lets be honest, he really should just drop the word "Comedian" from his business cards and tour as "Spoken Word" artist Doug Stanhope.

The dude isn't up on stage and trying to make people laugh, that is clearly not his primary goal as a performer. He's up there lecturing and trying to challenge the audience on their cultural beliefs and assumptions about life. There's a few scattered laughs, but the cheering and clapping is the dominant audience reaction because this particular audience is receptive to his message, people are agreeing with him.

Ugh. Another 'not been to his show but watched youtube clips and heard him on the radio guy' opinion. Same thing happens with rich vos. I've been to both their shows several times. Laughed my ass off the whole way through and didn't hear people clapping like on the youtube dvd clip that didn't even look like his typical audience. The only comedian i've seen kill on and off-stage is jim jeffries. But good to see this turn into the typical snotty 'x is not that funny and here's a youtube clip to prove it' thread.

Blotto

Jun 2, 2012
Ugh. Another 'not been to his show but watched youtube clips and heard him on the radio guy' opinion. Same thing happens with rich vos. I've been to both their shows several times. Laughed my ass off the whole way through and didn't hear people clapping like on the youtube dvd clip that didn't even look like his typical audience. The only comedian i've seen kill on and off-stage is jim jeffries. But good to see this turn into the typical snotty 'x is not that funny and here's a youtube clip to prove it' thread.
Not to blow a hole in your theory, but I've seen him live twice.

He's super interesting to listen to because of the way he deconstructs things, but he's not really funny.

He's definitely more of a spoken word guy who happens to work the stand-up circuit than a true comedian. He's way more interested in challenging the audience to think outside of the box than in making people laugh, its exactly what he is.

Last edited:

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Not to blow a hole in your theory, but I've seen him live twice.

He's super interesting to listen to because of the way he deconstructs things, but he's not really funny.

He's definitely more of a spoken word guy who happens to work the stand-up circuit than a true comedian. He's way more interested in challenging the audience to think outside of the box than in making people laugh, its exactly what he is.
Fair enough, just make sure to go to his next taping to get your thought-provoking fix from a 20+ year career comic.

@DougStanhope: My next taping I want the only crowd shot to be of the one guy thats not laughing that comics always focus on.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
He sounds like a stand up philosopher.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Who the fuck says that Doug Stanhope isn't a comedian or isn't interested in making people laugh?