Dozens fall ill after eating guinea pig at Minnesota festival

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Eighty-one people have been hospitalized after eating guinea pig meat at an Ecuadorean festival in Minneapolis this month.

According to WCCO in Minnesota, officials with the city’s Department of Health said many of the sick have tested positive for salmonella poisoning.

The Ecuadorean Independence Festival was held Aug. 11 at the New York Plaza Produce store on East Lake Street.

Meanwhile, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the festival’s host – one Nieves Riera – could face fines and other sanctions for, “selling unapproved and mishandled food.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/...esota-festival/?test=latestnews#ixzz2czWEpSD8
Do they taste like chicken or rabbit?

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
This is what happens when you shut down Ellis Island, folks.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Silly Minnesotans , one does not stick a Guinea pig down one's mouth hole...

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
My friend's wife is from Peru and that's one of her favorite dishes. There are "underground" grocery stores in the Bay Area that specialize in selling guinea pig and other animals most of us would find sickening.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
There are "underground" grocery stores in the Bay Area that specialize in selling guinea pig and other animals most of us would find sickening.
Yeah, those are called pet shops.

Anyway, people in the US are known to eat squirrels and rabbits that don't look any better than guinea pigs. I had some Canucks laugh at me once because I hunt doves. Up there they are songbirds, down here they are dinner.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Yeah, those are called pet shops.

Anyway, people in the US are known to eat squirrels and rabbits that don't look any better than guinea pigs. I had some Canucks laugh at me once because I hunt doves. Up there they are songbirds, down here they are dinner.
I haven't seen then firsthand, but my friend was telling me, they run them out of storage lockers and have freezers full of bizarre meat. Apparently they are only open at certain times and you need to know someone who knows someone to find out when and where.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I haven't seen then firsthand, but my friend was telling me, they run them out of storage lockers and have freezers full of bizarre meat. Apparently they are only open at certain times and you need to know someone who knows someone to find out when and where.
Actually, I saw a series, maybe called Wild Justice, and it is about the California Fish and Game and Fish harassing people. They had a team who raided one of those stores like you mention. Of course they couldn't find anyone who speak da English but they took out tanks and coolers full of living critters that are not allowed alive because they can breed and become invasive species. The people smiled and waved as they left, then the 5 p.m. delivery truck arrived in the alley and they restocked, more than likely.

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
Actually, I saw a series, maybe called Wild Justice, and it is about the California Fish and Game and Fish harassing people. They had a team who raided one of those stores like you mention. Of course they couldn't find anyone who speak da English but they took out tanks and coolers full of living critters that are not allowed alive because they can breed and become invasive species. The people smiled and waved as they left, then the 5 p.m. delivery truck arrived in the alley and they restocked, more than likely.
I'm pretty sure I saw that same thing. A lot of Abalone related violations. I didn't know what Abalone was until I saw that show.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Yeah, South America is all about eating the guinea pig. Parts of Aisa too, but they both have much different varieties from us. The guinea pigs in Ecuador are massive.

Bourdain said they were great.