Dragon and Magic Fantasy

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Since Fantasy is so broad, I thought I'd be specific.

Aaaaaaaand I didn't want to start a separate thread for this.

The reason I actually started this thread, though, was I am wondering about Turtledove's "Into the Darkness: A Novel of the World At War" It looks completely compelling.

When the Duke of Bari suddenly dies, the neighboring nation of Algarve, long seething over its defeat a generation ago in the Six Years' War, sees its chance to bring Bari into the fold...an action which the other countries surrounding Algarve cannot, by treaty, tolerate. As nation after nation declares war, a chain of treaties are invoked, ultimately bringing almost all the Powers of Derlavai into a war of unprecedented destructiveness.

For modern magic is deadlier than in ears past. Trained flocks of dragons rain explosive fire down on defenseless cities. Massed infantry race from place to place along a network of ley-lines. Rival powers harness sea leviathans to help sabotage one another's ships. The lights are going out all across Derlavai, and will not come back on in this lifetime.

Against this tapestry Harry Turtledove tells the story of an enormous cast of characters: soldiers and generals, washerwomen and scholars, peasants and diplomats. For all the world, highborn and low, is being plunged by world war...into the darkness.

At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.
Six books in this series, apparently.

Anybody read it?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I read one of his "if the South won the Civil War" books. He's a decent writer.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Never read that, but my all time favorite fantasy series falls into this category, Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn

I honestly like this series better than anything else I have ever read in the fantasy genre

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dragonbone-Chair-Memory-ebook/dp/B00316UMPS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356577638&sr=8-2&keywords=dragonbone chair

A war fueled by the dark powers of sorcery is about to engulf the peaceful land of Osten Ard--for Prester John, the High King, slayer of the dread dragon Shurakai, lies dying. And with his death, an ancient evil will at last be unleashed, as the Storm King, undead ruler of the elvishlike Siti, seeks to regain his lost realm through a pact with one of human royal blood. Then, driven by spell-inspired jealousy and hate, prince will fight prince, while around them the very land begins to die.
Only a small scattered group, the League of the Scroll, recognizes the true danger awaiting Osten Ard. And to Simon--a castle scullion unknowingly apprenticed to a member of this League--will go the task of spearheading the quest for the solution to a riddle of long-lost swords of power...and a quest that will see him fleeing and facing enemies straight out of a legend-maker's worst nighmares!

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Since Fantasy is so broad, I thought I'd be specific.

Aaaaaaaand I didn't want to start a separate thread for this.

The reason I actually started this thread, though, was I am wondering about Turtledove's "Into the Darkness: A Novel of the World At War" It looks completely compelling.

Six books in this series, apparently.

Anybody read it?
I only read the first book. Basically it is like WW2 but with dragons and politics. The magic is minimal that instead of electricity they use some sort of gaian energy that moves on certain paths.

Temeraire (series) : Napoleon with dragons

Song of Ice and Fire : Dragons have disappeared?

eragon & eldest - boy finds a dragon

Dragonvarld Trilogy

Dragonriders of Pern - fight devastating conditions.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Are there dragons in the Wheel of Time series? I saw the final volume is coming out this year. I have them all on the Nook but not really ready to dive in to a 15,000 page story.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever/White Gold Wielder series.....I have to go back and reread them and get the newer trilogy.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Come on. It's a anime vs. fantasy. It's a Queer Fight.

Now tell me more about books with magical swords!
Hey, it's no Christian dancing movie, but it gets the job done.

EDIT: Seriously, if you don't think this is awesome, there is something seriously wrong with you.

Bonus: Swords AND anime.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Also, let the record show that I rarely bring up anime on my own accord. It's usually you guys who bring up the topic. Just sayin'.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Hey, it's no Christian dancing movie, but it gets the job done.
Hey. She had to fight the devil, super cancer, secularism, a lecherous janitor, a 33-year-old high school rapist, magical dreams, an incredibly fat father, network executives, dancing, rock bands, and a dead mother all in less than 90 minutes.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Hey. She had to fight the devil, super cancer, secularism, a lecherous janitor, a 33-year-old high school rapist, magical dreams, an incredibly fat father, network executives, dancing, rock bands, and a dead mother all in less than 90 minutes.
Speaking of which, we should do Left Behind on HitW.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Speaking of which, we should do Left Behind on HitW.
I'd be okay with that, even if I do want more people to experience the joy of C Me Dance.

Also, they're remaking Left Behind with Nicholas Cage, Chad Michael Murray, and slutty Ashley Tisdale as his daughter.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'd be okay with that, even if I do want more people to experience the joy of C Me Dance.

Also, they're remaking Left Behind with Nicholas Cage, Chad Michael Murray, and slutty Ashley Tisdale as his daughter.
Really? Are they dechristianizing it for wider appeal or are they doing it Kirk Cameron style?