Drive (2011)

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Couldn't find a thread for this movie.

[video=youtube;n_IzySJDFDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_IzySJDFDg[/video]

Didn't really know much about the movie other than the trailer. Looked good, but questionable. However on RT right now it has a 98%.

A hyper-stylized blend of striking imagery and violence, Drive represents a fully realized vision of arthouse action.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/drive_2011/

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Glad to hear it's getting good reviews. You can never know with the fucking trailers these days. Everything looks awesome, but most of it stinks. I'll probably check it out.

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
yeah I also heard about this on Ron and Hicks...(Fez doesn't exist anymore) heard nothing but great things about it, cannot wait to see it!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I've wanted to see this from when I first heard about it. I was sold on the director and Albert Brooks as the villain. Gosling and Cranston didn't hurt either.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I plan on seeing this next week as part of my "Double Feature my Wife couldn't care less about" along with Warrior.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I tried to see it tonight but arrived late. Will attempt to catch it this week.

justifyyourgarb

You drab South Bend cocksuckers are all the same.
Mar 15, 2007
I caught the last show Friday night. I love Nicolas Winding Refn, so I already wanted to see it.
It was fucking great. I really enjoyed it. There's not a lot of talking. People in the theater openly thought it sucked. It was the same kind of people that thought No Country For Old Men sucked.

But I loved everything about it. The cast, the cheesy 80's soundtrack, and of course, the brutal violence. Fucking great. Gosling is getting tons of praise, but he really didn't do much. Albert Brooks like a mother fucker though. He was perfect.

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
There's not a lot of talking. People in the theater openly thought it sucked. It was the same kind of people that thought No Country For Old Men sucked.
That's a brilliant comparison. People these days need things to be moving at 100 mph at all times or they get bored. Meanwhile my chick and I were loving the tension watching three people riding in an elevator or just look at each other down a hallway. It was amazing. I loved the total lack of unnecessary dialogue, and the fact that every character didn't fit into a neat little box. Albert Brooks was fantastic.

When seeing Ron Perlman and Brian Cranston sitting at a table together all I could think was "Hey, what are Walter White and Clay Morrow doing together?"

justifyyourgarb

Mar 15, 2007
Meanwhile my chick and I were loving the tension watching three people riding in an elevator or just look at each other down a hallway. It was amazing. I loved the total lack of unnecessary dialogue, and the fact that every character didn't fit into a neat little box. Albert Brooks was fantastic.
One scene was just Gosling and Carey Mulligan staring at each other for like, two minutes. People were fucking pissed. I loved it.
No eyebrows.
Coincidence........

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
One scene was just Gosling and Carey Mulligan staring at each other for like, two minutes. People were fucking pissed. I loved it.
People are stupid. They can't wrap their head around the idea that the film is supposed to generate feelings, not plot points to drive a story. You're supposed to watch those scenes and feel what the characters are feeling, not listen to what they are saying or watch what they are doing. And maybe what you feel and what I feel is different, but that's what's supposed to happen. The problem is you have to actually use your mind while watching the film, and people don't want to bother with that.

**EDIT** I just re-watched that trailer and I partly blame the marketing. That ad makes it look like it's gonna be an action filled heist movie, which is pretty far from accurate.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I really liked it. Zero dumb action movie cliches, a genuine concept, interesting characters, no overexplaining. Overall a really good flick.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
That movie would be cool and remain cool no matter what decade it came out in. I am very glad I watched movies like Two Lane Blacktop and Vanishing Point a couple of months ago.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
I liked it for the most part, but people going expecting a car-chase movie will be a little disappointed. There's only two chase scenes, one right at the beginning. And the directing was different from a regular film, many lingering long shots of Ryan Gostling just standing or sitting around expressionless. I'll have to admit, it got a little annoying after awhile. I wanted to scream "somebody fucking DO something!!" at one point when it went on a bit too long.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
That movie would be cool and remain cool no matter what decade it came out in. I am very glad I watched movies like Two Lane Blacktop and Vanishing Point a couple of months ago.
I agree. It did have a timeless sort of quality.

justifyyourgarb

Mar 15, 2007
I'll have to admit, it got a little annoying after awhile. I wanted to scream "somebody fucking DO something!!" at one point when it went on a bit too long.
I saw it the day it came out in a pretty crowded theater, and people were saying that.

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
I don't like this Gosling guy. He fucking comes out of nowhere and everybody pretends he's been famous all along.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I don't like this Gosling guy. He fucking comes out of nowhere and everybody pretends he's been famous all along.
I remember him from Young Hercules, which was in like 1998, and he did a bunch of stuff even before that.

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
Gosling has been around for a while.

wow, what an awesome movie....I liked it a lot.

Tetro

Feb 1, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed the shit outta this movie