[Drummers!] Bernard "Pretty" Purdie Appreciation Thread

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
The Absolute Genious behind the "Purdie Shuffle" the infectious Half timey shuffely back beat featured most prominently on Steely Dan tracks "Home at Last" and "Babylon Sisters" I know alot of you youngsters don't know who he is but please look him up.

Here's a quote from Jeff Pocaro who incidentally was no slouch when it came to drumming.

"I did a clinic a couple or years ago at the Dick Grove School. The students brought CD of my stuff to play and ask me questions about. I knew what would happen; they'd ask about the 'Rosanna' beat, which is probably the most unoriginal thing I've ever done, yet I got all this credit for it. Stupid. So I brought along the CDs of the records I stole the beat from--"Fool In The Rain" from Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door, and Bernard Purdie's 'Home At Last' and 'Babylon Sisters' with Steely. Without saying anything, I put on the CD and played 'Babylon Sisters.' Half the class knew the song, but none of them knew who the drummer was. This is a class of 18 to 33-year-olds. Then I played 'Home At Last,' which I copped all the shit for 'Rosanna' from. Once again, no one knew the drummer. I said, 'Guys, it's Bernard Purdie. Who in this room has heard of Steve Gadd?' All the hands went up. 'Aja?' All hands up. 'I'm sure you all know Steve won Performance Of The Year for that in Modern Drummer. Well. you're all fucked up! I just played you 'Home At Last' with Bernard Purdie, and that's on the same record. What do you do, listen to 'Aja' and then take the needle off? As musicians you should know everything I just played for you. Some of the best drum shit ever is on that record. Each track has subtleties."
Here's Bernard at work.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NQ08V37g8c&feature=related[/MEDIA]

Here's some of the famous Shuffle...

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pclpe8dT7cY&feature=related[/MEDIA]

It's about the groove kids. It's about the pocket. Every drummer should seek to be just a little like Bernard Purdie whatever style of music they play.

BCH

Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Uggh you're all hopeless :)

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
[noparse]BERNARD "PRETTY" PURDIE RULES!!!![/noparse]

youre welcome :action-sm

wetandstickyjim

Drop dead retard!
May 25, 2005
Congers, NY
Purdie has a pocket as deep as the ocean. I tapped out the 1/4 notes and he didn't miss a beat even when changing tempos. There's no music without the feel. Drummers are too often discounted. People joke about Toto, But Jeff was one of a kind and I miss him. I was just asked last night what my dessert Island disc would be and I said Steely Dan...not sure of which one, but can I take the boxed set?

Where was that quote from?

BCH

Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Purdie has a pocket as deep as the ocean. I tapped out the 1/4 notes and he didn't miss a beat even when changing tempos. There's no music without the feel. Drummers are too often discounted. People joke about Toto, But Jeff was one of a kind and I miss him. I was just asked last night what my dessert Island disc would be and I said Steely Dan...not sure of which one, but can I take the boxed set?

Where was that quote from?

Yay! Someone replied!

THe quote's from a 1992 modern drummer article about the drummers of steely dan. I love the way Bernard inverts the rack toms having the lower one first. I've played this configuration some and it's pretty cool. I also tune my toms in 1/3 intervals like that...

I also play Sonors like him however it was Steve Smith who sold me on them.

wetandstickyjim

Drop dead retard!
May 25, 2005
Congers, NY
Kenny Aronoff (sp?) set his toms up all wacky to. I have a single 13" on my 1965 blue sparkle Ludwigs. They're as old and better looking than me. Steve Smith is also underrated. I'd to buy another kit. Maybe someday. It's tough with 3 AWESOME kids though to even find time to play.

I take it you have Burnin' for Buddy?

Who else do you like? You see Peart in my sig? I put him there after Vinnie Caliauta and Jeff. People kept asking who they were so I threw Neil in there and have been to lazy to switch him out. He was one of my first influences along with Carl Palmer then I got into the studio guys.

Thanks for the link!

BCH

Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
I like all the understated guys who do alot by not doing too much.

Russ Kunkel
Rick and Jerry Marotta
Abe Laboriel Jr. <-- Talk about deep pockets... Click to see a one take recording session. :icon_eek:

So many people will watch that video and see "nothing" to it. Fucking guy's solid as a rock and has the touch of a butterfly. Not my favorite song but the drum track is seeping with feel.

wetandstickyjim

Drop dead retard!
May 25, 2005
Congers, NY
Nice! Peter Erskine is another one. Jim Keltner too. You do know Abe's dad is a famous session / jazz bass player, yes? Of course you do, ya goose.

Chad Smith is a ghost note nut too.

Have you checked out Burnin' for Buddy? There are a lot of nice surprises on there. Funny, I got turned on to alot of studio drummers who have played on less than "cool" stuff. Vinnie on Gino Vanelli, Steve on Al Jerriou (sp?) Jeff on Toto (check out "99")

Come on, Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees"? Shit, that album is all groove.

Anyhooo. I'm glad to know there are studio musician appreciators out there.

Ever hear of Gary Chester?