Dry ice question

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Ok, going camping for the weekend and wanted to keep some food and booze chilled in a Coleman type cooler. I know that it has to be handled with gloves, but I was wondering if it's really work spending the money on vs just getting regular ice.

Thanks

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
The trouble with it is, your hot dogs and soda pop will freeze rock hard if you leave them too close to it. You don't need kid gloves, any kind of glove works. Chip off a piece the size of your little finger and stick it in an empty 2 liter bottle, cap, set on ground, get away. It gives a fine blast.

I use it when I have to haul meat or fish for several days and don't care if it freezes. For regular camping, I use ice.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I've always just used regular ice. Never had a problem.

Having a good, well insulated cooler is the biggest part of it.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
For just a weekend, regular ice will do the trick. Dry ice is more for long hauls. I've shipped seafood cross country before and had to use dry ice as the transit time was 6 days. The packaging had to be so well insulated as to not freeze the seafood but only keep it below 45 degrees.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Thanks everyone. Yeah, between here and not being lazy and using google I'm just going to fill some soda bottles of water and throw them in the coolers.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Ice & water. Seal everything, and don't use a shitty cooler as BB1 said.

Totally unnecessary for a weekend trip.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Why don't you do what civilized people do and stay in a hotel that has a fridge in the room? What are you, savages?

Failing that, a Honda generator and a dorm fridge on wheels works too.

icculus1284

May 16, 2007
Fort Collins
My folks have an Igloo cooler on wheels that will keep ice for a couple days. You could just buy a new cooler.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
what i always do is go to wally world and buy a case of bottled water then freeze it, all so you not only have nice "dry" ice you have water to drink also, but... throw a couple non frozen but cold bottles in so you have stuff to drink right away it takes a while for the bottles to thaw out. oh and get a new cooler.... that old green piece of shit coleman that you inherited from your dad is junk... new coolers will keep ice frozen for days if you dont open the cooler more than you have to.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Why don't you do what civilized people do and stay in a hotel that has a fridge in the room? What are you, savages?

Failing that, a Honda generator and a dorm fridge on wheels works too.
You're not going to last long in the apocalypse.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
what i always do is go to wally world and buy a case of bottled water then freeze it, all so you not only have nice "dry" ice you have water to drink also, but... throw a couple non frozen but cold bottles in so you have stuff to drink right away it takes a while for the bottles to thaw out.
That's fucking genius.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I bought like 5 new coolers when I got married to use at the (outdoor) reception we had. These keep shit cold for days. We had a weekend party once and the leftover beer was still cold Thursday.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Yeah, we do a lot of out door stuff during the 110+ summers here in Texas and I got one of these:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=6262A748&categoryid=8581&brand=

Couple that with FEZ MAN's frozen water bottles, you're golden for 5+ days.

Also, if you put salt in the water bottles, also some ice in the loose ice in the cooler, it keeps the temp roughly 20 C lower, so it can actually freeze your beer, but if you stack the water first, and the beer above it, it shouldn't freeze, but it'll make the ice last for a few days longer in a good cooler. This is especially good if you're putting liquor in there for shots. ;)

Aug 11, 2005
Yeah, we do a lot of out door stuff during the 110+ summers here in Texas and I got one of these:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=6262A748&categoryid=8581&brand=

Couple that with FEZ MAN's frozen water bottles, you're golden for 5+ days.

Also, if you put salt in the water bottles, also some ice in the loose ice in the cooler, it keeps the temp roughly 20 C lower, so it can actually freeze your beer, but if you stack the water first, and the beer above it, it shouldn't freeze, but it'll make the ice last for a few days longer in a good cooler. This is especially good if you're putting liquor in there for shots. ;)
I have this

and why salt the ice? we're not making ice cream, get a hold of yourself

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
and why salt the ice? we're not making ice cream, get a hold of yourself
Just a suggestion for someone who's doing a longer trip, 4-5 days +, especially with food.

It works well with beer too if you layer it properly. a 5 day cooler can easily last 7-8 days if you salt and layer it properly.

Aug 11, 2005
Just a suggestion for someone who's doing a longer trip, 4-5 days +, especially with food.

It works well with beer too if you layer it properly. a 5 day cooler can easily last 7-8 days if you salt and layer it properly.
salt kills the ice like a slug , don't you know anything???

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
salt kills the ice like a slug , don't you know anything???
Not if you prepare it right dude. The key is using what FEZ MAN said with salt water in the bottles. A freezer will super freeze the bottles and it'll be WAY colder than normal ice and last a lot longer.

Aug 11, 2005
whatever, do what you do, you'll find out later

Aug 11, 2005
You realize I've been doing this for years, and my specialty in the Navy was chemistry, right?
Well I know salt makes ice melt and then you have to go to the store to buy fucking more.

What's you're beliefs on cold fusion?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Well I know salt makes ice melt and then you have to go to the store to buy fucking more.

What's you're beliefs on cold fusion?
Salt only melts ice if you don't remove heat from there. If you do the water bottles filled with salt water thing and put them in the freezer a couple says before you do it, it'll hold a temperature of roughly -25 C. The extra 25 degrees below 0 will drop the temperature in the cooler, and provided the concentration of salt in the water bottles is higher than the ice that's loose in the cooler, it will hold the ice in the cooler at a completely frozen state for usually a day or 2 before it even starts to melt -- provided you only open as needed and you don't over-load the loose ice with salt.