Drywall Fixing

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
So, I may or may not have thrown an unopened soda bottle at the wall the other day.
Spoiler: I did.

I don't even know if this is drywall, there's something behind it. It just kind of dented an area, and then chipped this "wall" off on another part.
It's like a 3inX3in area...

Let's say I wanted to somehow fix this, how would one go about doing such a thing?
And don't be afraid to explain it as if you were talking to a retarded person.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
That doesn't look like drywall.

Looks more like plaster.

Watch Wally. He's pretty good at this shit:
[video=youtube;A-94BuF1AOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-94BuF1AOw[/video]

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Ugh, that seems like a lot of work and stuff I have no idea how to use/obtain.
I wonder if Wally will come over and help me.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
that is so hard to see...is it a corner of a ceiling? it might be a metal corner joint that's exposed there... [YT]VfHVSQ7AvFc[/YT]

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
If you can't do what he did in the video, you need to stop throwing bottles

that is pretty easy fixin there, even if you don't do as good of a job, it will be fixed and unnoticeable by the landlord

he does good work

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
it came apart just like plaster tho

looks funny in that picture from the angle he shot it

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
that is so hard to see...is it a corner of a ceiling? it might be a metal corner joint that's exposed there... [YT]VfHVSQ7AvFc[/YT]
It's like a little area that juts out, like 2 feet below the ceiling. There's no light in this room, so I dragged this shitty lamp in there you can kind of see.

If you can't do what he did in the video, you need to stop throwing bottles
This is true... but in that moment I wasn't thinking, "Will I be able to fix the mark this leaves on the wall?" I might from now on though.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Looks like a corner bead in the drywall exposed to me. Get a can of drywall patching mud (near the paint in Home depot) and a putty knife.

+

Apply the mud in a couple of thin coats and feather it in (smear it in gradually longer strokes). Let it dry and take some sandpaper to it. Smooth it out and repaint. Look good as new. Cost of materials = $10 and a day's worth of time

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Thanks. I just need to make sure I get the correct color paint I suppose

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Looks like a corner bead in the drywall exposed to me. Get a can of drywall patching mud (near the paint in Home depot) and a putty knife.

Apply the mud in a couple of thin coats and feather it in (smear it in gradually longer strokes). Let it dry and take some sandpaper to it. Smooth it out and repaint. Look good as new. Cost of materials = $10 and a day's worth of time
Yeah, with that new picture it definitely looks like a corner bead for drywall.

Way easier to fix than plaster walls.

Dicktator

Frozen Meatbals 4life
Feb 11, 2006
Michigan
How has nobody asked why you threw a bottle at your wall? Was you wall late with dinner again?

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
How has nobody asked why you threw a bottle at your wall? Was you wall late with dinner again?
The other day when the Cardinals blew a 4 run lead in the 9th inning, I was walking up the stairs with the soda and decided the best way to get over the loss was to throw it at the wall.

It did help, because then I was thinking, "Oh shit, now I have to fix this, how do I do that... what do I need"
So all in all it mission accomplished.

Thankfully it somehow hit the wall with the bottom directly and didn't explode soda everywhere, or I'd have a "How to get Sunkist out of carpet" thread.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
The other day when the Cardinals blew a 4 run lead in the 9th inning, I was walking up the stairs with the soda and decided the best way to get over the loss was to throw it at the wall.
Didn't ask because I figured that was the answer given the day he did it.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
So did you fix it Bob Villa?
Not yet [Insert stereotypical slow moving line of work here] when it comes to this stuff. The estimated time of fixing is December 1st, I wish there was something I could do to get it done faster...

I had to send a letter the other day, and it was a whole day event (Half joking)

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Not yet [Insert stereotypical slow moving line of work here] when it comes to this stuff. The estimated time of fixing is December 1st, I wish there was something I could do to get it done faster...

I had to send a letter the other day, and it was a whole day event (Half joking)
Dude you can fix that in 15 minutes over like three days. Spackle it the first day, sand and then maybe add the aerosol texture to it the next, sand again and paint the third day. You're out maybe $25.

Stop destroying your home. I lived with some idiots in college who always felt the need to punch the wall whenever whichever slut they were dating deciding to tell them they had a small cock. It took 4 sheets of drywall to ensure we didn't loose our entire deposit.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
Thanks. I just need to make sure I get the correct color paint I suppose
If you have a piece of the wall that broke off with paint on it, home depot can scan it and color match for you.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Another inch or two down and that damn bottle would have rocketed through the window and you'd be asking how to patch a hole in glass.

[yt]XG63OtsKC7k[/yt]

Call a drywall guy. Tell him your story and that you're willing to pay $25 cash for him to fix it. It'll only take fifteen minutes - in total - for a decent drywall guy to fix this.

A paint store should be able to match the color fairly well.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
If you have a piece of the wall that broke off with paint on it, home depot can scan it and color match for you.
While this is true in theory, I've never had very good luck with that process, whether it's Lowe's or Home Depot -- especially with the whiter shades.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
It's an easy fix, but don't use spackle or drywall compound for a thick repair. Use plaster.
Get some slow curing patching plaster. You can use plaster of paris, which is the easiest to find in any hardware store, but understand it cures very fast.
Take out all the loose pieces of broken drywall, mix small batches of plaster, fill as needed. scrape it level before it gets too hard. Finish with spackle or drywall compound.
Sand smooth, paint, and you're done.

Experiment with the plaster if you never used it before so you know how it cures before you apply it to the wall.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Or get something like Sheetrock 90... basically a chemical setting compound... like the name suggests it sets in 90 minutes. I does dry very hard so try not to put a shit ton on the wall other wise you will be sanding for ever.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
what we have here is the very last St. Louis Cardinals fan to really care about the team

I bet the players who blew the game cared even less

this is why we have the word "fan" short for "fanatic"

congrats, sir