Dumb Science Question Thread

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
I'm drunk. Forgive me for stupid question.

I figured other people had stupid science questions too, so here's the thread to do it.

Anyway, I just held my shot glass of Jack Daniels up to the screen and all the text was reversed. Fucking light, how does it work?

But seriously, I would like to know what makes that happen. I find it more interesting than I should at the moment.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath

I figured other people had stupid science questions too, so here's the thread to do it.

Anyway, I just held my shot glass of Jack Daniels up to the screen and all the text was reversed. Fucking light, how does it work?

But seriously, I would like to know what makes that happen. I find it more interesting than I should at the moment.
The curvature of the shot glass bends the light such that the image is reversed on the other side.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator

Just to fuck with your head even more... what actually happened was that the shot glass reversed the image left-to-right, and then your eye turned the image upside down, and then your brain flipped it back upright again when it processed the image.

Science is dark magic.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Just to fuck with your head even more... what actually happened was that the shot glass reversed the image left-to-right, and then your eye turned the image upside down, and then your brain flipped it back upright again when it processed the image.

Science is dark magic.
Left is Right! Up is Down!

Dark matter, in laymans terms please.
Fried chicken?

Basically dark matter is a hypothesis right now. Essentially, it's matter that we know is there, is matter, and we can't really observe that it's there, but our calculations tell us it is. Think of it as a theoretical place-holder for matter that we know is there, but can't account for.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Dark matter, in laymans terms please.
On a basic level it's pretty much matter in the universe (making up most of the universe I believe) that you simply cannot see because it doesn't reflect or scatter light. Without reflecting/scattering light, you can't tell it's even there (without calculations regarding gravity and such), so it's invisible.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Haha, I completely forgot about that ICP song.

[video=youtube;evfUTmx0uh8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evfUTmx0uh8[/video]

Now how does Magma work?

Why is it coming out of the ground yo???

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini

Hey Stevie...Nobody likes a snobby cripple.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
You put bread in the toaster, and then toast comes out. So where did the bread go?

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
When you take a crumb, then cut it in half, you don't have 2 half-crumbs...you have 2 crumbs. A mind is a terrible thing to be blown. Or sumpin'.

When you take a crumb, then cut it in half, you don't have 2 half-crumbs...you have 2 crumbs. A mind is a terrible thing to be blown. Or sumpin'.
A mind is a terrible thing , and it must be stopped!