Duncan Hunter abandons White House bid

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hEsu9Sy-NCf91rXwQs39E95Lno3Q

WASHINGTON (AFP) — Republican long-shot candidate Duncan Hunter on Saturday dropped out of the race for his party's presidential nomination after a poor showing in the Nevada caucuses, his campaign said in a statement on Saturday.
"Today we end this campaign," the California lawmaker said in the statement.
"I ran the campaign exactly the way I wanted to, and at this point not being able to gain traction in conservative states of Nevada and South Carolina, it's time to allow our volunteers and supporters to focus on the campaigns that remain viable," he said.
With all votes counted in Saturday's contest in Nevada, Hunter won only two percent support and in South Carolina, with 94 percent of precincts reporting, he trailed far behind with less than one percent of the vote. He also failed to make his mark in previous contests this month in Iowa and New Hampshire.
Hunter did not endorse any of the remaining candidates in the Republican nomination race.
He had recently expressed anger at television executives for not being invited to participate in debates before the New Hampshire primary vote.
Hunter, who launched his candidacy a year ago, had emphasized a strong national defense and immigration in his campaign but his bid never caught fire in a crowded Republican field.
But Hunter said he had helped influence the debate among Republican presidential hopefuls by urging the construction of an elaborate border fence with Mexico to counter illegal immigration and by warning of the threat posed by China's military and economic power.
"The failure of our campaign to gain traction is mine and mine alone. But we have driven the issues of national security, the border fence, the emergence of China and the need to reverse bad trade policy," he said.

Sorry Ant!

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
what's going to happen to the Jimmy Tide/Duncan Hunter ticket?

I heard that Fred Thompson might drop out if he doesn't do well in Florida.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
I wish he would drop out already. As much as I like him, realistically he doesn't stand a chance and I think he's taking votes from Huck.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
what's going to happen to the Jimmy Tide/Duncan Hunter ticket?

Giuliani too (talk about putting all your eggs in one basket)

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
What!? But he was so close.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I wish Romney would do the same.
I'd rather see Huckabee drop out. I like a lot of Romney's ideas.

LiddyRules

Giuliani too (talk about putting all your eggs in one basket)
DeltaPin said:
What!? But he was so close.
Rudy's lost a lot of ground. According to MSNBC he's even behind McCain by double digits in New York.

As of 1-19 the delegate count for the republicans is as follows:

Romney = 59
Huckabee = 39
McCain = 36
Thompson = 5
Paul = 4
Hunter = 2
Giuliani = 1

A candidate needs 1191 delegates to win

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I wish he would drop out already. As much as I like him, realistically he doesn't stand a chance and I think he's taking votes from Huck.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

As for Hunter: oh well, there's still the chance as a V.P. nominee with Jimmy Tide!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Fair enough, but I dont like his religion.
If you like his policies, why should religion matter? Besides, I want to coin the term "First Sister-Wife"