Dune - Film/TV/Books thread

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I thought I should just make this a generic thread, although it's inspired by my just discovering that there was a new film planned that was killed off about 11 months ago. Damn me for being out of the loop.

With the new move towards low-cost films, I suppose this will be on the backshelf for just as long as it's been since the Lynch film. Depressing.

By the way....I actually loved Lynch's film (despite DeLaurentiis' interference). Perhaps I'm the only one who saw it's good side.

Oh, more proof I'm out of the loop: Has SyFy gave any indication they want to continue their mini-series' with the books after Children Of Dune?

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I didn't mind the original Dune movie.

It has been 9 years since the last Sci Fi Dune movie. I doubt that they will produce a new one since they are producing shitty movies and low-rent shows nowadays.

How are the new Dune books?

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
I read the first book and some of the others like the Dune Messiah and I think Children of Dune. The David Lynch film is pretty good. Nothing amazing but worth watching.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I read the books, but didn't care for the movie or scifi channel min-series. The mini-series was a little better, but too much backstory always gets left out compressing the book into one production. Maybe if they took a Game Of Thrones approach, but chopped up the book into three seasons.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I was bored to tears by the movie. I've always considered reading the ridiculous books though. I hear it's unparalleled in size and scope.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
IIRC, the post-Herbert sequel books go a little BSG/Matrix-y with a war against AI's and resurrected characters from the first novel.

I'm glad to see some who like the Lynch film. For all it's flaws, I think it was great, and it still saddens me that there were no sequels to it.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
I didn't mind the original Dune movie.

It has been 9 years since the last Sci Fi Dune movie. I doubt that they will produce a new one since they are producing shitty movies and low-rent shows nowadays.

How are the new Dune books?
i've heard nothing but bad things about the new Dune books.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The movie has some inspired visuals but is basically a giant disaster. The TV show suffers from being overly sci-fi channel-style generic. I'm amazed that this isn't a franchise that's at the top of the reboot discussion list.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
The movie has some inspired visuals but is basically a giant disaster. The TV show suffers from being overly sci-fi channel-style generic. I'm amazed that this isn't a franchise that's at the top of the reboot discussion list.
a few years ago they tired doing it again but it never got off the ground.