OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

E-Cigs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by icculus1284, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icculus1284

icculus1284 Registered User

Did a search and didn't see a thread dedicated to it.

I received an email for a "free trial"(just pay $9.99 shipping) of them. I've been wanting to quit smoking, so I figured "what the hell", and ordered them.

The testimonials and factoids on the website leads me to believe that it's almost as good or the same as smoking a real cigarette. I figure it's probably bullshit, so I decided to come here and ask some questions.

Is it truly as good as smoking? Does it curb the nicotine cravings? Do you walk around stores or other public places like an asshole smoking them?

2. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

I worked with a guy who used e-cigs. He's still a pack plus per day smoker after three months or so puffing on that glow stick.

3. icculus1284

Did he buy them to help quit or just so he could smoke at work/other public places?

4. Dikbag

Dikbag Registered User

reading the websites for these things you'd think they are too good to be true, but everyone says they suck and just make you want a real cigarette more.

5. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

my chick's ex roommate had one, i hated him too much to ask if it worked. but ive heard that they are not that great and as stated above it just makes you want a real smoke even more

6. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Buy a bag of Jolly Ranchers. Cheaper and works better.

7. icculus1284

I didn't realize there were so many different brands. The email I received is from http://ecigsbrand.com/webstore/default.aspx . I dunno the credibility of that particular company, but there are a lot of people on another board praising the Volcano brand.

I smoke a pack a day or so, and quit for about 3 months using the gum. I eventually got sick of chewing gum all the time and went back to smoking.

8. icculus1284

I don't like sugary treats.

Someone at work took to sucking on lollipops to quit smoking...now his teeth look terrible.

9. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

That's fine but the theory still holds up. Eat celery stalks, mini carrots,
    something to just chew on.
    I quit smoking after over 30 years, cold turkey by going that route.

10. icculus1284

Like I said in an above post, I tried the gum. I just got sick of chewing the gum and went back to the real thing.

I applaud you for quitting cold turkey, my mom did also. Couple bouts of severe ER causing bronchitis got her to quit.

11. SkinnyNaraAsses

SkinnyNaraAsses I'm a diva!

I got my first e-cig kit in July 2009, and the day it arrived was the last time I had an "analog." Your success rate depends on the reliability of the device you pick, the flavors you like, and your willingness to change. I didn't *want* to quit smoking, but I found the alternative that allowed me to get all the nicotine of a cigarette with none (well, almost none - no proof that nicotine by itself doesn't have any long-term health effects) of the health risks. I definitely recommend going with the Joye 510 model, or even better, the eGo or eGo-T. The eGo-T has a 2-mL tank that usually lasts me 2+ days, and it's easier to refill the tank than to refill a traditional wick cartridge. If you smoked full-strength cigarettes, start at the 24mg strength...if you smoked lights, start at 18mg.

Good luck!

12. icculus1284

Thanks for the info, SNA.

How much were you smoking before you moved to the e-cigs? I've bookmarked the Joye eGo pages.

Right now I'm smoking Camel Lights about a pack a day. Been smoking for 10 years.

13. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

I ate a couple of bags of Halls cough drops when I first quit, but that crutch didn't last long. After that, it was sheer will power. So far, so good. 6 months & counting.

14. icculus1284

Good job, Joey.

The whole candy, cough drops, etc. thing works to keep the mouth busy. But I still feel like I have to do something with my hands while I'm chewing gum.

[insert witty cock sucking comment here]

15. SkinnyNaraAsses

I was smoking a pack of Marlboro Lights per day. I started with the 18-mg "MLB" flavor, then moved on to Vanilla and Cherry. Now I'm down to 6-mg (lowest I can get without going to nicotine-free) and I plan to stay there...well, forever, since I have no intention of quitting! :)

16. icculus1284

This is certainly comforting. How much would you say you are saving, as opposed to buying a pack every day?

The odd assortment of flavors I've seen at http://www.mstsbakery.com/ is intriguing.

I don't necessarily want to quit the nicotine, but I'm sick of being congested, clothes stinking, and all the other bullshit that comes with smoking.

I drive for a living, so I smoke a lot. What would you suggest as something that I can grab on the go when it comes to the Joye brand? Volcano has a starter kit of e-cigs that allows me to both use them on the go, as well as just enjoy them at home leisurely.

17. icculus1284

Also, do you drink quite a bit? I'm a bit of an alcoholic, and my smoking only goes up more when I'm drinking. Will this also provide a pleasurable experience that is similar to smoking a cig while also boozing?

18. WhiteHonkyDevil

WhiteHonkyDevil El hombre de los moleculos!

I swore there was thread about this. I bought a set from SmokingAnywhere about a year and a half ago, and I VERY rarely touched "analog" cigarettes for a long time. Right up until a dunce I know tried to light it and fucking melted it, and then my second one "went missing" (I think the same person stole it).

I fucking loved having one. Could use anywhere, was cheaper for cartridges, and I liked having flavor options. I had mine for about 9 or 10 months. Now I'm back to Winstons, wishing the fucking ecigarettes were easier to get in Michigan.

19. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

There was.

These things are not without their own risks, but I think it's probably better than real cigarettes if you have to ingest nicotine.

20. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

So which one is the best one to use out there? The Joye eGo-T?

21. SkinnyNaraAsses

A 15-mL bottle that lasts me 3 weeks costs $6.50. My eGo-T starter kit was about $60, and extended batteries are around $20 a pop. I haven't done the math lately, but I've easily saved thousands since I switched in 2009. Definitely grab the eGo-T starter kit. This is the supplier I use: http://www.electronicstix.com - flat-rate USPS shipping, so stuff a box full of the kit, extra cartridges, and a lot of flavors for a flat $6 shipping. Definitely check out the forums at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com to get reviews, helpful hints, and coupon codes for the different suppliers. Most of the hardware is made in China, but definitely stick with USA-made juice. It's much safer.

I'm not a heavy drinker, but when I do drink I find myself using it more heavily. The best secret is to ALWAYS carry spares of all components. I won't leave the house without a spare atomizer, battery, cartridge, and e-juice bottle. I don't want to put myself in the situation where I want to buy a pack. Quick story - I was on TDY down in Norfolk, about 4 hours from home, and I ended up staying a lot longer than I'd planned. I couldn't find any good suppliers locally down there, so I actually drove 4 hours home, then 4 hours right back, just to get some more juice and another battery charger. The alternative was to be without nicotine for another week, or to smoke analogs again.

Definitely go with the eGo-T -- it's the lowest maintenance and easiest to use.

22. kloraferm

kloraferm Humor is reason gone mad

I've heard they suck compared to real cigarettes. I've never tried them though. I just stopped smoking (although I slip occasionally).

23. icculus1284

Thanks again for the information SNA. I'm thinking of canceling my order with the email people and just picking up an eGo-T starter kit.

Are the 2.4% and 1.8% the 24 and 18mg you were referring to? How much juice should I buy?

Also, I drive for a living 5 days a week, for ~40 hours. Will the eGo-T allow me to vape on the go and the juice will last me all day, or will I have to set up my tank(?) somewhere in the store?

24. SkinnyNaraAsses

Go for it with the eGo-T -- it's got the best feedback and reviews for a reason. Yeah, they've changed how they label the concentration -- 2.4% is equivalent to 24mg of nicotine per milliliter of fluid. I recommend getting one bottle each of a few flavors you might like, then once you find one you do like, get a bunch at a time for the flat-rate shipping. I tend to order 10-20 bottles at a time. The eGo-T tank holds something like 2.5 mL of fluid, which is enough for 2 days of moderate vaping for me (in the car to/from work, as well as at my desk all day), or one day of heavy vaping. You should get a full day on a full eGo-T tank. If not, it takes all of 2 minutes to re-fill the tank, so it's no big deal -- do it during gas stops!

25. icculus1284

I'm torn right now between the eGo-T and the Volcano Inferno.

Someone is also heavily suggesting this(I'll probably get the dual kit if I choose this one):

http://www.volcanoecigs.com/inferno-kit.html

Which seems like it might be more suited for me since I'm on the move all day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.