E-Z Pass Data Used To Catch Cheaters

Jul 26, 2005
Central PA
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_222140553.html

Not So Fast: E-Z Pass Data Used To Catch Cheaters
Divorce Lawyers Find Toll Records, Prove Spouses Lied About Whereabouts

(CBS/AP) TRENTON, N.J. There's some potentially troubling and telling news for all you motorists out there who may be taking the Turnpike for the worst crime in marriage: cheating on your significant other.

E-ZPass and other electronic toll collection systems are emerging as a powerful means of proving infidelity. That's because when your spouse doesn't know where you've been, E-ZPass does.

"E-ZPass is an E-ZPass to go directly to divorce court, because it's an easy way to show you took the off-ramp to adultery," said Jacalyn Barnett, a New York divorce lawyer who has used E-ZPass records a few times.

Lynne Gold-Bikin, a Pennsylvania divorce lawyer, said E-ZPass helped prove a client's husband was being unfaithful: "He claimed he was in a business meeting in Pennsylvania. And I had records to show he went to New Jersey that night."

Generally mounted inside a vehicle's windshield behind the rearview mirror, E-ZPass devices communicate with antennas at toll plazas, automatically deducting money from the motorist's prepaid account.

Of the 12 states in the Northeast and Midwest that are part of the E-ZPass system, agencies in seven states provide electronic toll information in response to court orders in criminal and civil cases, including divorces, according to an Associated Press survey.

In four of the 12 states, including New Jersey and Pennsylvania, highway authorities release E-ZPass records only in criminal cases. West Virginia parkways authority has no policy. (Divorce attorneys in some cases can still obtain toll records from the other spouse rather than a highway agency.)

The Illinois Tollway, which hands over toll records, received more than 30 such subpoenas the first half of this year, with about half coming from civil cases, including divorces, according to Joelle McGinnis, an agency spokeswoman.

The New Jersey Turnpike Authority said it turns down about 30 subpoenas in civil cases every year, about half of them divorces.

Electronic toll records have also proved useful in criminal cases.

They played a role in the murder case against Melanie McGuire, a New Jersey nurse convicted in April of killing her husband and tossing his cut-up remains into the Chesapeake Bay in three matching suitcases in 2004. Prosecutors used toll records to reconstruct her movements.

Davy Levy, a Chicago divorce lawyer for more than 30 years, said toll records from I-Pass (part of the E-ZPass system) are useful in catching a spouse in a lie.

"You bring up the I-Pass records and it destroys credibility," said Levy, who has used such records two or three times for such purposes.

The E-ZPass network covers about half the East Coast and part of the Midwest, with about 2 billion charges per year. That can mean a lot of records. One of the busiest toll plazas in New Jersey, the Garden State Parkway's southbound Raritan plaza, gets about 90,000 E-ZPass hits per day.

Some worry that using those records for other purposes is a violation of drivers' privacy.

"When you're marketed for this new convenience, you may not realize there are these types of costs," said Nicole Ozer of the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California.

Bob Barr, a former Republican congressman from Georgia turned Libertarian and privacy rights advocate, said people who want to protect their privacy shouldn't use electronic toll systems.

"People are foolish to buy into these systems without thinking, just because they want to save 20 seconds of time going through a toll booth," he said.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Next home made terrorist group will be blowing up toll roads, just watch. Even here in Texas they're popping up everywhere.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Could someone who uses EZ-Pass answer something, do you get a statement or can you check your own records in an online account?

If so, I'm thinking the wife just printed out the info and gave it to the lawyer.
If it came from the company, that's a different thing, but I have a feeling this is a non-issue as far as EZ-Pass.
Might be nothing more than finding an 'outcall' charge on a credit card statement and using that in court.

Always use cash for your strange.. Including getting there.

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
May 21, 2005
Philadelphia
Could someone who uses EZ-Pass answer something, do you get a statement or can you check your own records in an online account?

If so, I'm thinking the wife just printed out the info and gave it to the lawyer.
If it came from the company, that's a different thing, but I have a feeling this is a non-issue as far as EZ-Pass.
Might be nothing more than finding an 'outcall' charge on a credit card statement and using that in court.

Always use cash for your strange.. Including getting there.
PA EZ Pass usage can be monitored online, providing you set it up. You need your account number, create a pass code, etc. When my balance gets below $10, my debit card gets hit with a $50 replenishment charge. The only thing is, you can't monitor day-to-day activity until that month is up. If I wanted to see where I went yesterday, I can't, I have to wait until the beginning the next month to view the previous months statement.

And I agree - use cash for your extra extracurricular activities. Paying .50 for a toll can save you a lot of headaches later.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I would NEVER do that EZPass thing. I can't subscribe to any of that shit where it would constantly track me. I'd rather not take toll roads.

And down in Texas where they are trying out those RFID chips in the registration tags wouldn't fly with me either. If I lived in Texas I'd take the fucking tag off of the sticker and just deal with it if I was caught.

Fuck big brother shit.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
The only thing is, you can't monitor day-to-day activity until that month is up. If I wanted to see where I went yesterday, I can't, I have to wait until the beginning the next month to view the previous months statement.

Interesting. Day to day of current month isn't going to be an issue for a divorce case, I'm sure they are looking at old records.
So, another question, how far back can you see your old statements?

It's reasonable to believe the wife had access to the account.

The guy's an idiot.

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
May 21, 2005
Philadelphia
So, another question, how far back can you see your old statements?

It's reasonable to believe the wife had access to the account.

The guy's an idiot.
Online records will go back 90 days.

Something else was going on to spark her interest in the EZ pass records. No doubt he had some questionable cell phone bills and hokey alibis.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
I suppose it is possible someone would be dumb enough to use their regular cell phone to call the side pussy with, but it's hard to believe.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I would NEVER do that EZPass thing. I can't subscribe to any of that shit where it would constantly track me. I'd rather not take toll roads.
I felt the same way until I sat in line for 45 fucking minutes to get thru the
Holland Tunnel into Manhatten. They had 1 cash lane open and a bunch of
e-z pass lanes that had no lines at all. They are doing that more and more
around here. You're really forced to get it or your trip is now way longer.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
I felt the same way until I sat in line for 45 fucking minutes to get thru the
Holland Tunnel into Manhatten. They had 1 cash lane open and a bunch of
e-z pass lanes that had no lines at all. They are doing that more and more
around here. You're really forced to get it or your trip is now way longer.

45 minutes? Can't be, you have to be lying. Are you saying we should take your word over that of someone who was a republican congressman?
He was a CONGRESSMAN, for christs sakes, he practically ran the country. He would have no reason to state any statistics that are other than fact.
No, sir, I think he knows better than you.

Bob Barr, a former Republican congressman from Georgia turned Libertarian and privacy rights advocate, said people who want to protect their privacy shouldn't use electronic toll systems.

"People are foolish to buy into these systems without thinking, just because they want to save 20 seconds of time going through a toll booth," he said.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
45 minutes? Can't be, you have to be lying. Are you saying we should take your word over that of someone who was a republican congressman?
He was a CONGRESSMAN, for christs sakes, he practically ran the country. He would have no reason to state any statistics that are other than fact.
No, sir, I think he knows better than you.

Ballbuster's right - if you don't have E-Z Pass, you are totally effed, not just going through the tunnel but over bridges & even through tolls on the NJ Turnpike. The first year I drove to Virginia with a friend, I didn't have E-Z Pass and left late on a Saturday (I'm usually on the road by 4:30-5 AM, but for some reason we didn't leave until 11 AM this one trip). We got stuck on the Verrazano for about 15 minutes, the Outerbridge Crossing for about 10 minutes and then for almost an hour on the Turnpike down around Exit 1, I think. I didn't even wait until I got home - soon as I got to the timeshare, I logged onto a computer & signed up. Traveling is much better now.

And I'm not so sure about having to wait until your statement comes to see your activity. I had to change the expiration date on my credit card and my last 3 transactions, which were from last weekend, were listed. Maybe it was the end of my billing cycle, but they were definitely there.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Ballbuster's right - if you don't have E-Z Pass, you are totally effed
not you too..
Look, the congressman says it only saves you 20 seconds at the toll booth.
He's been entrusted with governing our country, so he would know.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
why do i feel like somebodys watching me wo wo woooo ooooooo I aint got not privacy. woo woo ooooooo

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
not you too..
Look, the congressman says it only saves you 20 seconds at the toll booth.
He's been entrusted with governing our country, so he would know.
Yes, I drank the kool-aid and saw it....the images of happy people speeding through the E-Z Pass lanes staring at the frustrated people waiting "20 seconds". I also saw the images of those happy motorists not having to say 'have a nice day' to some shwoogie toll collector whose face would break if it attempted even half a smile.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
so then why is a camera pointed right at my face when i go thru a toll? oh i know cause they need the 300.00 camera to catch the guy stealing the .50 toll yea thats it they would have to catch 150 going thru the toll to pay for 1 camera plus electric plus some one to monitor plus plus plus do these cameras ever pay off

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
You probably drive through the ezpass line so fast you don't realize the other people are only waiting 20 seconds longer than you to get through.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
You probably drive through the ezpass line so fast you don't realize the other people are only waiting 20 seconds longer than you to get through.
Maybe using E-Z Pass in his state of Georgia only has a 20-second difference, but definitely not here. And I'm thinking I've actually spent more than 20-seconds at the tolls in Florida because I don't have a SunPass. I'm coming down in December, I'm going to have to take notice of the time I wait at the tolls onto the Bee (I think it's the Bee) heading to Daytona from Orlando Airport

SchillingsSock

Jul 31, 2005
Rumford, Maine
Up here in Maine I think it is fair to say that a 20 second wait is about average. That is unless it is a holiday weekend with all the flatlanders coming up here. An EZ Pass definitly pays off on those days.

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
It gives me SO much pleasure to soar by those cheap/paranoid bastards on the GW Bridge, NJ Tpke, GSP, etc. I drive for work and get really impatient, so it wasn't even a question to me.

I just drove up to Maine last weekend, I drove to MA and then we switched drivers and cars for the 2nd half. Which do you think was more pleasant?

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
This is all bullshit. We shouldn't have to be dealing with this shit. Paying money to move after we already paid taxes, having RFID implanted everywhere, cameras, traffic caused by these "traffic fighting" toll roads. This is all bullshit.

The government started playing pro-toll road propaganda on the radio here in Texas last year, they're using blues music to do it. Upbeat blues music! Made me sick.

I hope the guy sues them. I hope someone starts killing toll collectors one by one, a sniper slug to one brain each night. Toll roads may be acceptable in your neck of the woods, but down here these fuckers need a painful insurrection.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
The government started playing pro-toll road propaganda on the radio here in Texas last year, they're using blues music to do it. Upbeat blues music! Made me sick.
They haven't tried the music angle here in Fl yet, but they have been pushing the idea that the non-federal highways be run by private companies.

As I speculate, that'd mean new construction would be private and toll.
As people get used to it, old roads would be sold for profit.
People are getting used to transponders just taking money from their account as they drive, so why not take advantage and do more of it?

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I still get paper statements mailed to me monthly, so yes, a wife could also just get it from the mail. The couple might even keep old copies for record keeping (maybe work related, tax deductions, etc.). And not all men are smart enough to ditch the bills with evidence of cheating. A family member confirmed her husband's infidelity when she reviewed the cell phone bills & found numerous calls to the mistress's phone.

ROONT

scatological & scurrilous
Apr 22, 2005
censorship america
I still get paper statements mailed to me monthly, so yes, a wife could also just get it from the mail. The couple might even keep old copies for record keeping (maybe work related, tax deductions, etc.). And not all men are smart enough to ditch the bills with evidence of cheating. A family member confirmed her husband's infidelity when she reviewed the cell phone bills & found numerous calls to the mistress's phone.
...pay the $60/year for a fuckin p.o. box and you won't have to worry about any of those problems...not that i condone cheating or anything;)

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Up here in Maine I think it is fair to say that a 20 second wait is about average. That is unless it is a holiday weekend with all the flatlanders coming up here. An EZ Pass definitly pays off on those days.
Sure, and I have also had short waits on the Jersey turnpike when paying with cash. I time my infrequent trips through there so it works out that way most times.
But it's not the norm. Especially if you don't have any choice about when you make the commute. I was trying to be as sarcastic about the 20 second guy.