E3: Killzone 2 Impressions

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
IGN just released a lengthy article detailing their impressions of Killzone 2. Sounds awesome.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/803/803129p1.html

Tonight's demo opened very similarly to what we saw two years ago. Clouds canvassed the screen until a soldier's head crept into view. He and others on his "cargo" vessel converse in short and abrupt sentences about how they're on their way to certain death. The scene is extremely similar to the lead-up to the invasion on Normandy Beach - certain hell is ahead, and the soldiers can't help but hold on to their helmets and hope to make it to the war zone intact and actually have a fighting chance.

A couple more vessels come into view, engines kicking below their flat surface while soldiers can only crouch and hold on to the thin railing. There's no protection here, nor even seats. Just as the clouds begin to part, one of the vessels is hit by incoming fire and begins plummeting to the very expansive city below. After falling for what seems like an eternity, it finally lands in a ball of flame as soldiers on the other vessels talk about how they're certain to die. Their commander tells everyone to lock and load...

The opening was once again fantastic, but we couldn't help but sit there and think, "When are we finally going to see some in-game footage?" The only thing was that we had been looking at in-game footage. As soon as our soldier hits the ground and his gun comes into view, very much like what we saw with the opening to Resistance, we couldn't help but think, "Holy hell, all of that was in-game?"

Indeed, it's quickly apparent that Guerilla has come much closer to the original trailer than most anyone thought possible. It's not 100% identical to be sure, but there are times (quite often) when it's really, really damn close.
End of the article also mentioned a Killzone 2 trailer will be ready on the PSN Store at 3pm PST.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
E3? I thought they killed that? Are those screen caps of a ps3 game? it looks like shit.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
Looks are textureless as Resistance. Sony is really shitting the bed here.

Take a look at Call of Duty 4 in motion for some wow factor.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
Here is the new REALTIME trailer :

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21490.html

Also remember that the game is still an Alpha build so it will look loads better when released.

The only thing that needs some work is the textures everything else is fucking amazing.
In motion it's slightly better, but I'm not at all impressed. And they REALLY under delivered from the promised footage.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
The game is a ALPHA BUILD, The Halo 3 BETA looked like shit, but now it looks nice. The game doesnt come out until 2008, there is plenty of time to improve the textures.

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
This is a short interview from one of the developers.
Hey folks.
I'm a little busy at the moment, but I have to say something!

First of all. WHAT DID I SAY? Did I lied? Am I a jackass, because I could not say anything about KILLZONE "2"? I could not. It IS one of our most important games, in the history of SONY Computer Entertainment. And I hope you like it!

And I am not finished yet:

- Don't forget one thing: This game is PRE-pre-alpha! So, not PRE-Alpha, PRE-PRE! So, please don't start some "Hey, can you see that texture poppin' up! PLEASE, stop it, ok?
There will be much more details, effects and so on. Give us some time.

- Second: Half of the animations are still NOT in the game so, it will look MUCH MUCH better in the final game. Yes, we said it: The animations are matching the target render. Maybe it looks even better in the final game.

- third: Is there already a video out? I get no info here, because the conference is killing us (with joy). If so, enjoy it! If not, playstation storewill have it. You have to see it in HD to believe it.
And finally: mckmas8808, Bad_Boy, Busty, I said it, and we delivered!

So, wait for the conference for more info.
You saw NOTHING yet!

bye

(oh and, .... did I say "KILLZONEwillSHOCK")
Sorry, I could not resist

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
It looks good so far. Needs a little more smoothness to te rendering but I can see the potential.

BelatedAbortion

Jun 12, 2007
Spaceshuttle Endeaverrrrrrrrr
The last game was decent on graphics but horribly repetitive and weak on controls and gameplay. Gameplay is key, graphics are just par for the course on next-gen systems.

The only true next-gen game that I've seen previewed so far, is Assassin's Creed. That shit looks real. The characters move like real people. Check out IGN's newest "lonely souls" teaser and fill up your pants with joy.

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
Heres some more info,

The evening ended with a few brief comments on the tech specs of the PS3 exclusive. The game will feature (warning: technical terms follow) deferred rendering with ambient occlusion and multiple shadow casting lights. The effects used include "depth based color grading, motion blur, and full screen anti aliasing" with "proprietary lighting techniques to create a vivid and living world."

Aurally, the game will offer 7.1 surround sound, audio occlusion with wave tracing. We're assuming the game is running in 1080p, as we sat in the first row of a massive screen ... and it still looked stunning. The developers noted that they were "grateful for Blu-ray" as a single level has already taken 2GB of space. "The PlayStation 3 allows us to do so much ... [it] would not be possible on any other platform."

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
I didnt expect ms to really do anything spectacular, but nothing really huge from nintendo was a letdown, i hope sony's tonights will be more interesting

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
After two years of intense skepticism (see our next post for a more thorough airing of the backstory), Tuesday night's first showings of Sony Computer Entertainment and Guerrilla Games' Killzone 2 to journalists have generally produced extremely positive reactions. But having cleared that first high hurdle, the next question everyone wants to know is: how does it play? We were fortunate enough to be the first to play Killzone outside of the folks at SCE and Guerrilla, so allow us to give you our hands-on impressions of Killzone 2's gameplay elements; our close-up look at the game's visuals, along with some exclusive first details on the title's design choices and story elements, will follow shortly.
Once our intruder landing vehicle hit the ground, it was time to go to work on what we were informed was the third level of Killzone 2. We immediately took refuge behind a berm, hit L1 to drop into a crouch, shouldered our standard-issue ISA assault rifle and started shooting at our Helghast opponents. Pushing in R3 on the right analog stick gave us the iron sight view through the assault rifle's scope--which, when we informed our Sony and Guerrilla hosts was the aspect of the demo which had most impressed us, gave them a bit of pause, followed by minor hilarity, until we explained ourselves further. It's not that there aren't several other impressive aspects of the game. It's just that the focus blur on the outside of the rifle scope, the scope's green tint and curved glass feel, and the green laser dot that indicates where your bursts of ammo should land--all combine for a wonderfully immersive view of the game that sucked us in both as spectators and active participants.

As we cautiously picked our way through the ground combat's opening moments, game director Mathijs de Jonge gave us the first official explanation of the game's cover system, which many of our observant peers picked up on during the Tuesday evening previews. You can always simply crouch behind obstacles, as you would in any other shooter, but Guerrilla has added something extra. When you hit L2 near cover, the game puts you into cover mode. Once you're in cover, you can use the left analog stick to pop up, lean left or lean right to take precise aim at your Helghan enemies. Alternatively, you can blindfire by simply pulling the trigger (R2) on your weapon. You're completely safe behind non-erodable cover as long as the enemy is on the same plane as you; if they've got the high ground, they can hit you if they have the right angle. We didn't ask Guerrilla directly whether the use of cover would be all-but-mandatory, as with Gears of War, or optional; regardless, it adds a tactical element to the game that fits seamlessly with the Killzone mythos. Overall, the cover mechanic works extremely well, without ever having to switch the gamer into a third-person view as does Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Vegas, and we won't be surprised when we see a number of Guerrilla's peers paying homage to borrowing stealing this idea after they get their hands on it.

We also appreciated Guerrilla's decision to go with a minimal amount of screen clutter. Right now, all you'll see onscreen is the aiming reticule and an ammo counter. Don't expect to see the ammo counter in the final product, however. Guerrilla wants to eliminate the HUD entirely by putting the ammo readout on the weapons themselves, as certain other games do with some of their weapons. (One thing we missed from the first Killzone was the visual countdown system that let you see how long your grenade had been "cooked" before you threw it--right now, hitting R1 just throws the grenades with a not-particularly-interesting animation--so we're crossing our fingers hoping that they'll bring the Killzone 1 grenades back.) The health system is similar to games like King Kong and Gears of War: you can take a few shots without any problem, but once you start taking a significant amount of damage, the screen shifts to a striking black and white filter, warning you to take cover. It's simple, it's distinctive, and it works.

The other moment worth highlighting from our hands-on time was our confrontation with the level's mini-boss, an armored Helghan heavy gunner who shares a passing resemblance--and an equally high intimidation factor--with the Big Daddy enemies in Irrational Games' BioShock. Like the mini-bosses of old, there's a trick to killing him, which is to shoot the energy pack on his back until it explodes. You can try to flank him while your AI-controlled squadmate Rico engages him from the front, or you can shoot his visor, which causes him to turn around, briefly exposing his energy pack to the rat-tat-tat of your assault rifle. We couldn't kill him to save our lives, but it was a pulse-quickening enough firefight that we gave it a good ten or so consecutive attempts before finally asking de Jonge to take care of him so that we could continue on with the demo. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get much further than that before our hands-on time came to an end.

If we have a single reservation right now, it's about the level of recoil that Guerrilla has implemented on the weapons. We know that Guerrilla has months to go before they have to bear down and properly tune the game; still, we found ourselves babying the aiming reticule in order to compensate for the amount of drift from each burst of fire. We know from the time that we've spent with the folks from Guerrilla in the past that they're interested in a sense of heightened realism when it comes to their weapons--that's why there aren't any laser guns or energy blades--and we're certainly willing to attribute this to our poor aim or easily panicked demeanor when confronted by waves of armed Helghast. But we suspect that Halo-weaned masses will want to be able to hold down their triggers just a wee bit longer before the reticule starts rising. Nevertheless, we were thoroughly impressed with our single-player hands-on time with Killzone, particularly the first-person cover mechanic, which we provides an excellent tactical option for more deliberate gamers like ourselves, who prefer to hang back rather than rush ahead. If the company continues to design enemy encounters around the optional use of cover, it bodes well for Killzone 2's future depth and replayability.
I like the idea of having no HUD at all, should make it more immersive.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
and we won't be surprised when we see a number of Guerrilla's peers paying homage to borrowing stealing this idea after they get their hands on it.
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow had the exact same cover system. Blind fire and all. If you neared the edge and leaned over your shoulder would edge utwards and a shooting reticle would come up. Then when you'd hit the fire button your character would lean out and shoot. Worked great against enemies and timing your shots.

May 27, 2005
Marlton, NJ
The last game was decent on graphics but horribly repetitive and weak on controls and gameplay. Gameplay is key, graphics are just par for the course on next-gen system.
Yes, thank you, Killzone gameplay was shit on the ps2. It looked cool, thats all. Unless they make the gameplay more interesting, it won't convince me to buy a ps3.

There's a better chance of me buying a ps3 to play the new Ratchet and Clank game.

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
Is Gears of War still generally considered the best looking console game to date?

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Is Gears of War still generally considered the best looking console game to date?
To date, I'd say that Gears visually is the game that sets the new standard. The only complaint the game really gets is that it's too short. But it is a gorgeous game to look at for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Killzone 2 team is using Gears as the game they have to beat when they put their finishing touches/textures/effects on the final product.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Here's the Video of the actual Killzone 2 gameplay that's been described in the various articles covering the E3 event:

[yt]G3Z2_5rLYIw[/yt]

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
I know that the original Killzone 2 trailer was prescrpited/prerendered etc etc, but it was damn impressive.

The pace, the mood, everything about the new footage just doesn't have the same kinda kick. I think in theory it should be possible to get a game that looks a lot closer to the original trailer than this new stuff does.

I think I actually liked the audio the most from the old Kilzone 2 trailer. Still, graphics will always be a big focus for people.

Anyhow, as far as pure visuals, nothing comes close to Crysis. That game looked good in early footage and it has gotten that much better every time they release new videos. Closest thing to photo realism seen in gameplay footage to date.

Garyisajoke

I created FRED, fuckface. Show some respect.
Nov 20, 2005
D.C.
Even though I get what your trying to say(And disagree with it) Unreal tournament 3 looks better than GOW.
No need to get snippy... plus I said "to date," which doesn't include console games without concrete release dates.

I had no agenda and wasn't trying to say anything, my friend. I don't keep up with gaming aside from the few I can afford and was curious what PS3 had out... at this moment... you know, to date. God bless Pete Doherty, by the way.