OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

EA Getting Rid of Online Passes

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by Frankie_b, May 15, 2013.

1. Frankie_b

Frankie_b Talk softly and drive a big tank!

2. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

Good.

Sent from the USS Sulaco.

3. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel suspicious of anything EA says? Even if it's helpful to fans of their games.

4. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I saw someone theorize that this just means they are going always online with all their games so there won't be any second hand copies anyway.

VicVinegar and SOS like this.
  5. Hate & Discontent

Unfortunately, I wouldn't put it past them. I'm done with EA, though, after the way Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 wound up.

6. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

EA has a talent for fucking up shit.

Lord Zero likes this.
  7. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I'm actually kinda curious as to how EA Bioware will react to whats happened to them with the last two games.

Dragon Age 2 panned for repeated environments and over simplification.

Mass Effect 3 panned for rushing the ending and skipping out on quality.

Both games have sequels planned and depending on how tight the leash EA has on them will see what kind of quality to expect from this point on.

After that I'll decide if I should ignore them or not. I still have CDProjekt (cyber punk and the witcher), Bethesda (elder scrolls and fall out) for RPGs if they crap out completely.

8. Hate & Discontent

Unless they somehow work miracles, I can't expect anything good. EA also fucked over the Battlefield series. BF3 was a goatfuck, and they continued to shit on early adopters even after all the problems.

At this point, I'm down to about 3-4 game developers I like that I actually trust to make good games, and Bethesda is on the road to redemption after Skyrim. I was ready to be done with them after Oblivion and Fallout 3.

9. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I heard about battlefield but I never experienced the shit storm I've seen people describe.

Skyrim was proof of what a good dev should do after they get bad feed back. They got MASSIVE complaints about oblivion and fixed as many of them as they could. They said people hated that they only had about 8 voice actors for oblivion so they hired 70 for skyrim. They also put in many many things (music enemies, ect) from morrowind as a "I'm sorry". They're forgiven in my eyes. I still think they should work on the writing and story aspect of their games but then again elder scrolls has always had a heavy action focus.

10. CM Mark

CM Mark The East is Ours!

They should also work out bug issues before they release games. I don't pay $60 to be a beta tester. Fuck Bethesda right in their assholes.

11. Hate & Discontent

The constant balance issues and very limited action to stop rampant cheating was what really pissed me off. The final straw was a combination of A) Selling the "premium" upgrade for another $60 past the original price, then B) including it for FREE in new copies of the game just a few months later. If you bought BF3 the day of release, you get Karkand for free. If you bought it 6-8 months later, you got every expansion pack (even the ones not released at the time), plus a bunch of other shit for free included with the game for $60. I looked earlier tonight, and Wal-Mart had BF3 with Back to Karkand for $20 or so, and the "premium" copy with everything for $40.

Last I looked, it was still $60 to get the "premium" upgrade for my existing copy.

On top of that, Origin is a steaming pile of shit.

12. DR. Jimcy M.E.

WTF is a premium upgrade? Fucking revolting how EA abuses the DLC thing.

13. Hate & Discontent

The premium upgrade is all of the expansion packs, extra unlocks, etc. This is the same company that sold an "upgrade" that gave you half of the unlocks (or maybe it was all of them - Edit: it wss every fucking unlock) instantly.

You know, shit the rest of us played for months to get, and 4 months in you can buy it for like $15 (Edit: It was $40 when they first introduced it.)

Fuck EA.

14. DR. Jimcy M.E.

EA is a prime example of why I love the PC. Buy the game, torrent the DLC.

15. Hate & Discontent

Unfortunately, you can't do that with BF3, since everything is bound to your Origin account.

Trust me, I didn't pay for any of the Fallout 3 or New Vegas DLC. I did actually pay for some Skyrim DLC, though, but I got Dawnguard for half price.

Make it easy and cheap to buy DLC, and I will.

16. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Steam sales are when I load up on games old DLC that I feel was worth it. I still use my stolen copy because it's easier and offline but I want to pay the money to the company if it deserves it.

17. Hate & Discontent

This is my attitude, too. I pirated Skyrim after hearing it was good, but I was far too skeptical to buy it. After playing it, I realized it actually was as good as I heard, and bought both Skyrim and Dawnguard off GMG for $60 combined.

18. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I own skyrim on steam for 30$ but have never played it there. I still like my pirated copy :p

Plug in my external harddrive and 3 minutes later it's ready to load up.

Hate & Discontent likes this.
  19. TreeFortRichard

I bought all of the EA BF3 expansions for like $10 on some special a bit ago..it's to the point now that you just play the games a year later and get them cheap...The DLC crap is out of control though...It really caused me to start to hate games...

The last GTA was ridiculous too on the pc...you had to run it and a 2nd program to stay connected to the online verification servers...very fuktarded

20. Hate & Discontent

I never bothered with 4 on the PC, even though I played 3, VC and SA religiously on the PC. By the time the PC version released, I was already done with the 360 version, and didn't see a compelling reason to buy it again.

21. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

As said before, Fuck EA. Fuck every game that comes out from under their umbrella, fuck every statement they make. They're a cancer in gaming.

22. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Registered User

Yes. It is only a matter of time before their next anti - consumer "feature" hits the streets.