EA Getting Rid of Online Passes

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
It's My Birthday!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
Online Passes – the controversial attempt by many publishers to encourage new game sales by locking online-centric content for used copies – has become engrained in gaming culture over the last several years. But according to a report on VentureBeat, one major company is doing away with them.
Electronic Arts – the mega-publisher behind a litany of games including Madden, FIFA, Battlefield, Dead Space, Mass Effect and more – will be “discontinuing” its Online Pass initiative. In a statement provided to VentureBeat, EA’s John Reseburg said that “none of our new EA titles will include that feature.”
Reseburg admitted that Online Passes just don’t seem to be working. “Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn’t respond to the format. We’ve listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward.”
Many major publishers – including Sony and Ubisoft – continue to use Online Passes, though interestingly, Microsoft never seemed to go down that road. Will EA’s abolishment of this system coerce other publishers to follow suit?

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Good.

Sent from the USS Sulaco.

Dec 12, 2007
Is it just me or does anyone else feel suspicious of anything EA says? Even if it's helpful to fans of their games.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Is it just me or does anyone else feel suspicious of anything EA says? Even if it's helpful to fans of their games.
I saw someone theorize that this just means they are going always online with all their games so there won't be any second hand copies anyway.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
I saw someone theorize that this just means they are going always online with all their games so there won't be any second hand copies anyway.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't put it past them. I'm done with EA, though, after the way Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 wound up.

Dec 12, 2007
Unfortunately, I wouldn't put it past them. I'm done with EA, though, after the way Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 wound up.
I'm actually kinda curious as to how EA Bioware will react to whats happened to them with the last two games.

Dragon Age 2 panned for repeated environments and over simplification.

Mass Effect 3 panned for rushing the ending and skipping out on quality.

Both games have sequels planned and depending on how tight the leash EA has on them will see what kind of quality to expect from this point on.

After that I'll decide if I should ignore them or not. I still have CDProjekt (cyber punk and the witcher), Bethesda (elder scrolls and fall out) for RPGs if they crap out completely.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
I'm actually kinda curious as to how EA Bioware will react to whats happened to them with the last two games.

Dragon Age 2 panned for repeated environments and over simplification.

Mass Effect 3 panned for rushing the ending and skipping out on quality.

Both games have sequels planned and depending on how tight the leash EA has on them will see what kind of quality to expect from this point on.

After that I'll decide if I should ignore them or not. I still have CDProjekt (cyber punk and the witcher), Bethesda (elder scrolls and fall out) for RPGs if they crap out completely.
Unless they somehow work miracles, I can't expect anything good. EA also fucked over the Battlefield series. BF3 was a goatfuck, and they continued to shit on early adopters even after all the problems.

At this point, I'm down to about 3-4 game developers I like that I actually trust to make good games, and Bethesda is on the road to redemption after Skyrim. I was ready to be done with them after Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Dec 12, 2007
Unless they somehow work miracles, I can't expect anything good. EA also fucked over the Battlefield series. BF3 was a goatfuck, and they continued to shit on early adopters even after all the problems.

At this point, I'm down to about 3-4 game developers I like that I actually trust to make good games, and Bethesda is on the road to redemption after Skyrim. I was ready to be done with them after Oblivion and Fallout 3.
I heard about battlefield but I never experienced the shit storm I've seen people describe.

Skyrim was proof of what a good dev should do after they get bad feed back. They got MASSIVE complaints about oblivion and fixed as many of them as they could. They said people hated that they only had about 8 voice actors for oblivion so they hired 70 for skyrim. They also put in many many things (music enemies, ect) from morrowind as a "I'm sorry". They're forgiven in my eyes. I still think they should work on the writing and story aspect of their games but then again elder scrolls has always had a heavy action focus.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
I heard about battlefield but I never experienced the shit storm I've seen people describe.

Skyrim was proof of what a good dev should do after they get bad feed back. They got MASSIVE complaints about oblivion and fixed as many of them as they could. They said people hated that they only had about 8 voice actors for oblivion so they hired 70 for skyrim. They also put in many many things (music enemies, ect) from morrowind as a "I'm sorry". They're forgiven in my eyes. I still think they should work on the writing and story aspect of their games but then again elder scrolls has always had a heavy action focus.
They should also work out bug issues before they release games. I don't pay $60 to be a beta tester. Fuck Bethesda right in their assholes.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005

The constant balance issues and very limited action to stop rampant cheating was what really pissed me off. The final straw was a combination of A) Selling the "premium" upgrade for another $60 past the original price, then B) including it for FREE in new copies of the game just a few months later. If you bought BF3 the day of release, you get Karkand for free. If you bought it 6-8 months later, you got every expansion pack (even the ones not released at the time), plus a bunch of other shit for free included with the game for $60. I looked earlier tonight, and Wal-Mart had BF3 with Back to Karkand for $20 or so, and the "premium" copy with everything for $40.

Last I looked, it was still $60 to get the "premium" upgrade for my existing copy.

On top of that, Origin is a steaming pile of shit.

Dec 12, 2007
The constant balance issues and very limited action to stop rampant cheating was what really pissed me off. The final straw was a combination of A) Selling the "premium" upgrade for another $60 past the original price, then B) including it for FREE in new copies of the game just a few months later. If you bought BF3 the day of release, you get Karkand for free. If you bought it 6-8 months later, you got every expansion pack (even the ones not released at the time), plus a bunch of other shit for free included with the game for $60. I looked earlier tonight, and Wal-Mart had BF3 with Back to Karkand for $20 or so, and the "premium" copy with everything for $40.

Last I looked, it was still $60 to get the "premium" upgrade for my existing copy.

On top of that, Origin is a steaming pile of shit.
WTF is a premium upgrade? Fucking revolting how EA abuses the DLC thing.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
WTF is a premium upgrade? Fucking revolting how EA abuses the DLC thing.
The premium upgrade is all of the expansion packs, extra unlocks, etc. This is the same company that sold an "upgrade" that gave you half of the unlocks (or maybe it was all of them - Edit: it wss every fucking unlock) instantly.

You know, shit the rest of us played for months to get, and 4 months in you can buy it for like $15 (Edit: It was $40 when they first introduced it.)

Fuck EA.

Dec 12, 2007
The premium upgrade is all of the expansion packs, extra unlocks, etc. This is the same company that sold an "upgrade" that gave you half of the unlocks (or maybe it was all of them - Edit: it wss every fucking unlock) instantly.

You know, shit the rest of us played for months to get, and 4 months in you can buy it for like $15 (Edit: It was $40 when they first introduced it.)

Fuck EA.
EA is a prime example of why I love the PC. Buy the game, torrent the DLC.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
EA is a prime example of why I love the PC. Buy the game, torrent the DLC.
Unfortunately, you can't do that with BF3, since everything is bound to your Origin account.

Trust me, I didn't pay for any of the Fallout 3 or New Vegas DLC. I did actually pay for some Skyrim DLC, though, but I got Dawnguard for half price.

Make it easy and cheap to buy DLC, and I will.

Dec 12, 2007
Unfortunately, you can't do that with BF3, since everything is bound to your Origin account.

Trust me, I didn't pay for any of the Fallout 3 or New Vegas DLC. I did actually pay for some Skyrim DLC, though, but I got Dawnguard for half price.

Make it easy and cheap to buy DLC, and I will.
Steam sales are when I load up on games old DLC that I feel was worth it. I still use my stolen copy because it's easier and offline but I want to pay the money to the company if it deserves it.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Steam sales are when I load up on games old DLC that I feel was worth it. I still use my stolen copy because it's easier and offline but I want to pay the money to the company if it deserves it.
This is my attitude, too. I pirated Skyrim after hearing it was good, but I was far too skeptical to buy it. After playing it, I realized it actually was as good as I heard, and bought both Skyrim and Dawnguard off GMG for $60 combined.

Dec 12, 2007
This is my attitude, too. I pirated Skyrim after hearing it was good, but I was far too skeptical to buy it. After playing it, I realized it actually was as good as I heard, and bought both Skyrim and Dawnguard off GMG for $60 combined.
I own skyrim on steam for 30$ but have never played it there. I still like my pirated copy :p

Plug in my external harddrive and 3 minutes later it's ready to load up.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
I bought all of the EA BF3 expansions for like $10 on some special a bit ago..it's to the point now that you just play the games a year later and get them cheap...The DLC crap is out of control though...It really caused me to start to hate games...

The last GTA was ridiculous too on the pc...you had to run it and a 2nd program to stay connected to the online verification servers...very fuktarded

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
I bought all of the EA BF3 expansions for like $10 on some special a bit ago..it's to the point now that you just play the games a year later and get them cheap...The DLC crap is out of control though...It really caused me to start to hate games...

The last GTA was ridiculous too on the pc...you had to run it and a 2nd program to stay connected to the online verification servers...very fuktarded
I never bothered with 4 on the PC, even though I played 3, VC and SA religiously on the PC. By the time the PC version released, I was already done with the 360 version, and didn't see a compelling reason to buy it again.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
As said before, Fuck EA. Fuck every game that comes out from under their umbrella, fuck every statement they make. They're a cancer in gaming.

VicVinegar

Oct 5, 2012
Yes. It is only a matter of time before their next anti - consumer "feature" hits the streets.