Sources: Earnhardt Jr. to drive for Hendrick in '08
By Marty Smith
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: June 12, 2007, 5:29 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Wednesday will announce his intent to move to Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet in 2008, multiple sources with intimate knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com Tuesday on condition of anonymity.

AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster

Dale Earnhardt Jr. likely won't be Driver 8 anymore, but will he still pilot the Budweiser Chevrolet?
Hendrick Motorsports declined comment, and e-mails and calls sent to Earnhardt's representation were not returned. A news conference was scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday to officially announce the deal.
Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, who has handled contract negotiations for her brother, declined to comment on the report.

There was some speculation that the wheels are already in motion to plant Earnhardt in the No. 5 now driven by Kyle Busch before season's end, but Dale Earnhardt Inc. president Max Siegel, contacted by phone Tuesday, discounted that scenario, saying Earnhardt would remain in the No. 8 through season's end.

Sources said there are indications that Busch may not finish the year in the No. 5. Busch is under contract with HMS through the end of next season, and Hendrick had been working to sign the 22-year old driver to an extension.

Jeff Dickerson, an attorney for Busch, told ESPN.com that "a lot of things may or may not occur. Out of respect for Hendrick Motorsports, we're not really sure what's going on yet. But we're trying. I don't think anything's changed yet. I cannot tell you that Kyle is out of the No. 5 for 2008."

Geoff Burke-US PRESSWIRE

Dale Earnhardt Jr. got a taste of driving a Hendrick Chevy when he climbed into Kyle Busch's ride for a few laps during the Samsung 500 at Texas Motor Speedway.
Meanwhile, one potential scenario would be Casey Mears moving to the No. 5 and Earnhardt moving to the No. 25 currently being driven by Mears.

Earnhardt announced last month he was leaving Dale Earnhardt Inc. at season's end to compete for a more competitive organization.

"Although we haven't had conversations with Kyle Busch, if speculation is correct that he may become available he's certainly somebody we'd be interested in talking with," Siegel told ESPN.com's David Newton.

DEI has a short list of top Nextel drivers that it is considering to replace Earnhardt. It's also conceivable that Busch could move over to DEI and replace Earnhardt in the No. 8 car if Busch can get out of his contract at Hendrick, which runs through 2008.

Joe Gibbs Racing and Ginn Racing, both considered contenders to land Earnhardt, said Tuesday they are not part of the press conference. Richard Childress, whose team was also thought to have an opportunity to sign Earnhardt, is out of the country.

It is unknown whether sponsor Budweiser will follow Earnhardt to Hendrick. Budweiser officials are expected to release a statement Wednesday saying the company wishes Earnhardt well and that it will begin exploring its relationship with Earnhardt after the announcement. Hendrick Motorsports does have a history with Budweiser as a sponsor in the 1990s with Ricky Craven and Wally Dallenbach Jr.

Check out the 2007 Nascar thread.
We may have hit on this news
a few weeks ago.:icon_wink
Maybe we'll find out wed. :icon_bigg

hangoverbuffet

Pissing People Off since 1983
it looks like he turned his back on all his fans and went to drive for the devil himself

i like the attitude... if you can't beat them... go help them beat your daddys records and piss on everything that is black

Beeman99

if they just swap drivers, let Jr take the 8 with him, the points aren't attached to the number, just the team.

hangoverbuffet

the number is the points most of the time.. you can transfer the points to another number but if you buy the number most of the time you buy the points... waltrip did it last season with the old 77 points

Teresa would not give him 51 percent there is no way in hell she would give up that number. besides i have read where he might drive the 25 since bud worked with them for so many years but either way he will be in a hendrick number and they have not said for sure if bud is going to hendrick... i mean they would be stupid not to go over there

but i just can't no matter how much i deep down like jr i can't pull for him when his teammate is the man who is trying to break his fathers records.

Beeman99

the number is the points most of the time.. you can transfer the points to another number but if you buy the number most of the time you buy the points... waltrip did it last season with the old 77 points

Teresa would not give him 51 percent there is no way in hell she would give up that number. besides i have read where he might drive the 25 since bud worked with them for so many years but either way he will be in a hendrick number and they have not said for sure if bud is going to hendrick... i mean they would be stupid not to go over there

but i just can't no matter how much i deep down like jr i can't pull for him when his teammate is the man who is trying to break his fathers records.

you'd hope the cunt would have a heart, it was his grandpa's number, Sr bought the number specifically for Jr.

And if this is true, why is HMS giving up on Busch, that one surprises me. And how the hell will two prim and proper faggots like JG and JJ be good teammates to a good ol' boy from the south? It'll be interesting.

Sutsu

O&A Po'ty ROCK!
I could almost see Jr driving well with JJ and JG. It'll piss a LOT of his fans (and really, his daddy's fans that just defaulted to him) to see the 8-to-be and the 24 running together, and I'm sure that JG would have no problem doing to Jr what he's done to other teammates in the past, but it would make for a powerhouse team. Kyle's a real prick, runs in the Busch family genes I think, so I don't think it would be that big a leap to see Hendrick drop the shrub in favor of Jr.

Question: Is this definitely that he's running for Hendrick or just a Hendrick powered team (IE Ginn Racing?)

ginaf20697

Yeah why give up on Busch when Mears is just a big fat loser coasting on his family's name.

Ballbuster1

Cute I am.
Wackbag Staff
Yeah why give up on Busch when Mears is just a big fat loser coasting on his family's name.
Busch comes with too much baggage. He's always getting into trouble and Mears
was a really good friend of Ricky Jr's. I think Rick Sr would rather give Kyle
the boot and give Casey a shot at getting better. The Busch bros are just
total asswipes.

hangoverbuffet

I could almost see Jr driving well with JJ and JG. It'll piss a LOT of his fans (and really, his daddy's fans that just defaulted to him) to see the 8-to-be and the 24 running together, and I'm sure that JG would have no problem doing to Jr what he's done to other teammates in the past, but it would make for a powerhouse team. Kyle's a real prick, runs in the Busch family genes I think, so I don't think it would be that big a leap to see Hendrick drop the shrub in favor of Jr.

Question: Is this definitely that he's running for Hendrick or just a Hendrick powered team (IE Ginn Racing?)

according to all the sources and every rumor site which is not always right.... he will drive the 5 car next season, and kyle is going to be fired i think that is because he is a cunt and showed that at the all star race and Rick Hendrick was not happy about that deal at all.

Beeman99

Busch comes with too much baggage. He's always getting into trouble and Mears
was a really good friend of Ricky Jr's. I think Rick Sr would rather give Kyle
the boot and give Casey a shot at getting better. The Busch bros are just
total asswipes.
I heard that Jr is dating Ricky Jr's baby momma as well.

Sutsu

O&A Po'ty ROCK!
I heard that Jr is dating Ricky Jr's baby momma as well.
I remember hearing that too... I just don't think it's a good idea to go to work for your girlfriend's baby-granddaddy. Jr. dumps Mrs. RickyJr, RickSr gets a little miffed, next thing you know Jr. is relegated to the stuff that even Mears wouldn't drive.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
Ok its official.

MOORESVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. said Wednesday he is joining Hendrick Motorsports, moving him one step closer toward the championship that has eluded him while driving for his late father's company.

Rick Hendrick said Earnhardt will replace Kyle Busch on his star-studded roster of drivers. The decision ends five weeks of recruiting for NASCAR's most popular driver, who became a free agent May 10 when he said he would leave DEI at the end of this season.

His criteria for a new team included finding a place he could win championships, and Hendrick is the perfect fit. Hendrick has won six championships, and has 10 wins through 14 points races this season.

``It became apparent to me the man I wanted to drive for,'' Earnhardt said. ``He competes with integrity and most importantly, he wins races.''

It was not immediately clear what number car Earnhardt will drive, and who will sponsor the car. Since starting in NASCAR, Earnhardt has driven the No. 8 Chevrolet, and he has long-standing ties to Budweiser.

Hendrick also has longtime ties to Earnhardt's family. He fielded a car in 1983 for Dale Earnhardt Sr., who drove it to a Busch Series win at Lowe's Motor Speedway. That entry was co-owned by Robert Gee, who is Junior's maternal grandfather.

Joining Hendrick's stable could anger Earnhardt's followers because it will team him with Jeff Gordon, a driver generally despised by his rabid fans. Following several of his recent wins, Earnhardt's fans have thrown beer cans at Gordon, most notably after career win No. 76 -- in April at Talladega Superspeedway. The win tied Gordon with the elder Earnhardt on NASCAR's victory list.

ezstevey

hoarding tender sentiments
It'll be good to see Jr. get a better shot at competing for the championship, but it'll be annoying to see a hendrick car win just about every weekend

Bunny™

The mod who didn't
Staff member
Dear Dale Jr,
Congrats on joining the best team in racing, Hendrick Motorsports. Please do not ever get on the company jet.

Thank you,
Your fans.

rottwielerinpa

I need a new bawx of wine.......
Dear Dale Jr,
Congrats on joining the best team in racing, Hendrick Motorsports. Please do not ever get on the company jet.

Thank you,
Your fans.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Dear Dale Jr,

Thank you,
Your fans.
Welcome to the world of winners Jr., I hope you like being the number three driver in the stable. Try not to fuck up our mojo, oh, and no right turns.