easy netwoking/cpu certifications

Capt.Caveman

Totally unlikeable
Jan 13, 2005
closer to a playground then allowed by law
I know a lot of you are cpu guys. I will be in the job market again in a few months and I was wondering if there are any quick and easy certifications I could get. I have plenty of experience and cabling certs. Also I have network + and avaya ip office. I was gonna do A+ and security+. I figured a+ would be pretty easy. I'm a cabling tech/data center engineer.I work in a data center now and would like to stay in a similar career path. Any ideas?

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
CCNA is a huge get for a networking guy.

Also anything with network security would be a big plus.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
CCNA, Security + (now required for most DoD work), MCP, and A+ would all be good choices. Maybe not easy (or cheap) but would certainly build on what you have now.

foyb

Mar 18, 2007
Crawfordsville, IN
All I have the the A+, it was enough to get me in the IT department here, and now I am the head of the IT department. Granted, it's just me and a couple of part time analysts.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
All I have the the A+, it was enough to get me in the IT department here, and now I am the head of the IT department. Granted, it's just me and a couple of part time analysts.
I can't get an interview anywhere. Maybe it's just Jersey.

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ
I can't get an interview anywhere. Maybe it's just Jersey.
ive told you for years, you dont live in jersey. you live in philly. just because you live in south jersey, you are not in jersey. north jersey/nyc is where all the jobs are. you can easily get a job with your certs up here but you refuse to move or commute up here.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
ive told you for years, you dont live in jersey. you live in philly. just because you live in south jersey, you are not in jersey. north jersey/nyc is where all the jobs are. you can easily get a job with your certs up here but you refuse to move or commute up here.
I'll commute to Princeton but after that it's not worth it.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Dice.com is a good IT job site.

And A+ is completely worthless. Dont even waste your time. If a company requires an A+ cert, they are assholes.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Dice.com is a good IT job site.

And A+ is completely worthless. Dont even waste your time. If a company requires an A+ cert, they are assholes.
I got myself some CCNA info. I want to see if that is worth learning.

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ
oh, and caveman, dont go into an interview and say "i haz CPU certs". you sound like Vos. they are not cpu certs.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Try indeed.com, also do you have any experience in the field? maybe take a cabling/help desk job just to get your foot in the door
Yes I have experience. I'm trying to get a helpdesk position just to be in the field when I go back to college.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
MCSA isn't worth shit. Go for CCNA or Juniper certifications.
Also - don't expect to find some mid-tier job right off the bat, especially in the current market.
You can get your foot in the door with minimal experience in a helpdesk, then you'll have to keep your eyes open for positions elsewhere.
Dice is OK, but LinkedIN is a much better resource. Dice has too much filler and fluff from 3rd party headhunters to be of much use right now.