eating "at the bar"

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
anyone else enjoy eating "at the bar" in a restaurant? i find it to be much more enjoyable than sitting in a booth or table the service is generally better and im convinced that the food is brought out quicker, also the entertainment is almost non stop, you can get a real feel about a place buy watching the staff interact with each other while they get there drink orders, ive seen so much funny shit between bartenders and incompetent waitresses also it seems that managers seem to love to drag people behind the bar in the soft drink station to yell at them. the people that are getting drunk is also funny to me (even though im one of them)
last night was a blast we went to a new sushi place in town and the town was having some kind of street festival, the restaurant must have hired a bunch of "temp" staff because it was a complete circus between the staff not understanding the menu and the chef getting pissed off because of it, we figure we saw at least two of them have there first and last night at that place, what i couldn't understand was the reason for the fiasco its not like they were insanely busy but i think the waitresses didn't understand that it takes forever to have sushi made the kept bitching that there orders weren't up and the chef kept telling them to go away with a wave of his knife...
i also really enjoy it when i go to a sushi place sitting at the sushi bar talking to the chef i find it easier to just sit there and tell him what i dont want easier than picking stuff off the menu

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Always. I never sit at a table in a restaurant. I don't drink, but, like you said, service is better and more prompt and there are usually televisions to watch or something like that. It's better than sitting alone at a table.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
really depends on whether or not there is a good game or something on the tv's

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I absolutely agree. Not only is the service better, but there's a very good chance that the bartender is a hot chick and if the place isn't very busy you can have a pretty constant conversation with them for the duration of your meal. I realize that 9/10 times they're being friendly to get a better tip, but I don't care as it's often more entertaining than bullshitting with whatever friends are with you.

The only thing is, I only do it if I plan on drinking also. I'll inevitably end up ordering at least a couple of drinks, regardless of what time of the day it is.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
really depends on whether or not there is a good game or something on the tv's
Nope. It depends on the # of people you came there with. 1 other person? 3 other people? If you come by yourself you'd look like a weirdo at a table. If you come 4+ you'd look like a pack of obnoxious faggots sitting at stools. Depending on the time of day and assuming it's happy hour.

And assuming of course that you aren't in a dive so shitty that it hardly ever gets busy.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
There's something about sitting up high that I don't like for eating. Don't like high tops, don't like the bar. I can deal if it's just finger foods, but nothing I have to use utensils on.

metallikat87

Dec 14, 2006
Oklahoma
i never really thought about it, but i always do it when im alone or at sushi places, maybe its just the ones i like but i know i get better food and faster if i cut out the waitress and get it right from the guy making it at the bar

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I gotta agree with Mills. If it's just the wife and I we don't mind, especially if there's
a long wait for a table. I wanna eat, not sit around waiting for a pager to go off.

4 or more though, gotta sit at a table. I hate trying to talk around others if
you're all sitting in a line at a bar. Tables are better suited for multiple conversations.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I'll only eat the bar if I'm by myself, there isn't a bunch of people sitting at the bar, and if I'm only ordering appetizers or sandwiches.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
i rarely eat with a lot of people mostly just one other so the bar suits me fine. but yea if im eating with more than 3 a table is in order

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
i rarely eat with a lot of people mostly just one other so the bar suits me fine. but yea if im eating with more than 3 a table is in order
Yeah, we were at Awful Arthur's in the OBX and there was a 2 hour wait for a table.
Walked right in, sat at the bar and ate the same food they serve at the tables.

On the plus side, the bartender was fantastic. Had great recommendations on food
and drinks for the meal. One of the better waiters I've ever had.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
When I travel and am eating alone, I always eat at the bar. Make friends with the bartender, he knows what food is good and what is not so good. Bartenders are usually pretty cool people and will treat you well if you take care of them.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, she eats you.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Depends on the place, too. Some places just have a nicer atmosphere in the bar, and it's usually just me and the wife so it's quite a bit. Since they're outlawing smoking everywhere, though, most places don't even have a real "bar" area any more.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
There's something about sitting up high that I don't like for eating. Don't like high tops, don't like the bar. I can deal if it's just finger foods, but nothing I have to use utensils on.
This.

Also, I eat at weird times of the day due to my work schedule. I'm often one of just a few people in the restaurant so service is not an issue. I'm also often killing time between a split shift so I often bring a book. I leave if it starts to get busy though.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
took the boy to iron hill thursday night as a treat for dinner, we both like the pizza, i sat down at the bar, the boy goes "is it ok i sit here" with a shocked look on his face, it was funny, that and the bar tenders all know me he thought that was a hoot. i think it made up for making him sweat in the shop all day.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
I don't want to get stabbed in the back. Give me a secluded booth in the corner.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I do it often, especially if I am by myself. Also, at alot of places the full menu is available at the bar so if they have a waiting list for tables - just bypass all those mooks waiting in line and go over to the bar. Another big plus is that you never sit there on empty waiting for the waiter/waitress to come back for a drink refill.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
I used to all the time before my son was born. However I do scope out the bar area where seating is first come first serve and get a seat in there with the wife and boy.

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
took the boy to iron hill thursday night as a treat for dinner, we both like the pizza, i sat down at the bar, the boy goes "is it ok i sit here" with a shocked look on his face, it was funny, that and the bar tenders all know me he thought that was a hoot. i think it made up for making him sweat in the shop all day.
I don't think I've ever not eaten at the bar at Iron Hill.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
only time i ever dont eat at the bar at iron hill is when im with a group of people. im a mug club member ;) ive only been out to west chester a few times but i know most of the staff and the brew masters in media.... its sad when you get three or four 20$ gift certificates a year... mug club money well spent, and i get that snazzy fancy mug.

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
Eating at the bar rules. I love it.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I used to do it all the time when I was out alone, but it's illegal to CCW while seated at the bar in FL. I'm too fucking lazy to do the walk of shame back to the car to drop the holster and gun, so I just get a table.