eBay Hacked??

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m09/i25/s00

eBay shut down an entire discussion board devoted to Trust & Safety issues after someone began posting confidential user information. Someone using multiple User IDs began listing information purported to be eBay users' private and financial data on the Trust & Safety discussion board. Mark, a user who says he posts regularly on the board, said he noticed the problem at 8:50 am Eastern on Tuesday and called his eBay representative about 20 minutes later after he saw the posts remained. He said it took about an hour for the posts to be removed, and minutes later, the entire board was taken down.

The person posted using several IDs that look like they had been hijacked from legitimate users. The subject line of each thread began with the letters "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" followed by six numbers.

Mark said regular users who were posting on the board while the incident was taking place suspected that eBay may have been hacked, and he said some believed it was a scammer named Vladuz that has tormented eBay in the past. eBay has denied that Vladuz has ever hacked into its system (http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m02/i22/s03).

AuctionBytes was able to view the forum and several posts before they were removed. While most data looked like it could have been obtained through phishing campaigns, the posts also included fields labeled "Id verified" and "Store" along with a time-date stamp of the user registration. The accuracy of the information has not been verified by AuctionBytes.

NOTE: Please check back during the day as we will update this story as it develops.
This incident seems legit, people are talking about it on the eBay forums. I ran across the link to the story on another site and had to see for myself. According to the eBay forums, there were credit card numbers posted as well, close to 1000 of them.

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
I doubt ebay was hacked, more than likely a successful phishing scam.

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
The person posted using several IDs that look like they had been hijacked from legitimate users. The subject line of each thread began with the letters "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" followed by six numbers.
Friday, you naughty girl!!!