"Ecstacy Of Gold" - stay or go?

"Ecstacy Of Gold" - Stay or go?

• Total voters

hotshot70

Dec 29, 2006
Iowa USA
Do you think this classic cool song that is the "intermission" between the FM and XM shows should be removed from play or left in? I personally want it to stay. After hearing it was the last time, I got upset. SAVE THE SONG!

Little Chuckie

Jul 21, 2005
It would be as if Geoge Lucas changed the opening music for the Star Wars movies; EOG means O&A for me, nothing will change that. 30 years from now if I hear EOG, I'm sure that I'll think of O&A.

We just have to wait and see what they do, you can always have your iPod with you and play EOG for yourself if you just can't handle change.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I'll reserve judgement until I hear what they replace it with. EOG has only been used since the XM show started, and they've gone through other theme songs over the years. No sense getting hung up on this one.

aahpandasrun

No longer endangered
Oct 18, 2006
Farmingdale, NY
Since the XM master computer picks up the show at 6 no matter what, why not just delay the show from starting by a few minutes on the FM side so XM can pick up Ecstasy of Gold at the beginning of the show?

That way, both FMers and XMers here the song.

hotshot70

Dec 29, 2006
Iowa USA
well, why not play variations of Ecstacy Of Gold. How about that one that sounded like muppets singing.

PMB917

Black Earl fan since day one
Oct 4, 2004
Peabody MA
I must say, I'm very surprised that Opie wants to change the music associated with the show. For a guy that likes to associate things with a brand name, this just doesn't seem like him. Why not change out Street Fighting Man as well? I just don't see the upside of this.

Baggy Spandex

This stinks and I don't like it.
Apr 5, 2007
Love it. Keep it.

vinman3

May 11, 2007
Love EoG as well. Keep it.

Tryaluckystrike

Feb 19, 2007
Enough of EoG. Once a day at 6 a.m. is fine. The XM side deserves it's own intro, the same way it had one for the first few months of the O&A on FM deal.

When EoG comes on at 9:15 a.m., I tune out and cringe because I know they can do so much time with the 2 minutes leading into the XM side.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Change frightens me.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
If they're going to start the show 3 minutes earlier, ditch it. Otherwise, keep it.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
I like different intros, so if you take away EOG you open up an opportunity for a new 'disposable' intro that you can swap out often.

I like change.... and turtles.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I like different intros, so if you take away EOG you open up an opportunity for a new 'disposable' intro that you can swap out often.

I like change.... and turtles.
Wouldn't that require someone to do some work?

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
If you remember, they started putting EOG in the slot between FM and XM because of the elevator ride after the walkover. For a while after the walkover finished and they were heading up to the XM studios they played the Street Fighting Man loop FOREVER. They switched to EOG to break up the monotony. Now that the walkover isn't a daily thing, that time can be filled with worst of clips. That being said, I I still say keep it. It makes the show sound much more important than it is.

Xtra Krispy

Feb 19, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I like EOG but being on the west coast I have to record the show from 3AM to 630AM (the time I have to leave for work) and so I miss what feels like a huge chunk of show for a song instead.

I remember when they stopped playing it a while back and got right into show and I liked that because it gave me a little more show to listen to during the day (I have it recorded, edit out commercials and listen in my work truck). So to me, I wouldn't mind having more show.

Ciarin

Loves her Mini Cooper
Oct 15, 2007
Lynn, MA
I'm usually asleep by then, but I still love it.

MikeMcDouchebag

I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years.
May 14, 2007
I really, really like EOG and I'm not sure why. I have pretty vivid memories of it from when I discovered O & A a couple of years ago on XM. I think it sets the tone of the show very well. I’d hate to see the boys drop it because I think it’s actually an effective branding device, from a quasi-marketing standpoint. Many entertainers have enjoyed a very tight identification with their theme music (i.e. Johnny Carson), and I think EOG works in a similar way for the boys, for better or worse. They may not have intended this effect when they started playing the song, but now that they have some sort of identification with it, I think it would be a mistake to drop it.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
i rarely listen to the show live

i FF thru the song usually anyway
so i don't care either way