Elderly new Jersey man dies after his car runs over him

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Saturday January 05, 2008, 1:40 PM
An elderly Pequannock man has died after being ejected and then run over by his car in a Kinnelon grocery store parking lot, officials said today.

William Peters, 81, was backing out of a handicapped parking spot at a Pathmark supermarket in Kinnelon Mall on Friday afternoon when he accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brakes, Kinnelon police Sgt. David McFadden said.

Peters left his door open when he put his Mercury Sedan in reverse so supermarket employee Christopher Walsh could put away a motorized shopping cart. But when Peters hit the gas, he backed up at a "high rate of speed" and ran over Walsh's foot, hit a parked 2003 Chrysler minivan and pushed that vehicle about five feet out of its parking space, McFadden said.

The impact ejected Peters from his partially open car and pinned him against a 2001 Ford SUV that was parked next to the minivan, police said. Peters then slipped beneath his own car, which ran him over before stopping.

Peters was airlifted to Morristown Memorial Hospital with severe chest, head and leg injuries. He died Friday night, McFadden said.

Walsh was treated at the scene, police said.

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

WaddleDoodle

Creepy? We're the CIA. It's what we do.
Mar 15, 2005
Arlington, VA
I guess I should make an old people driving joke here, but I'm too tired.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
William Peters, 81, was backing out of a handicapped parking spot at a Pathmark supermarket in Kinnelon Mall on Friday afternoon when he accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brakes, Kinnelon police Sgt. David McFadden said.
Always happens to the over 80 crowd.
Just God thinning the herd.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Always happens to the over 80 crowd.
Just God thinning the herd.
I think it's a neurological problem . . . it has something to do with the leg not responding to the brain's signal to move. The brain thinks the leg moved, but the leg just lifted off the ground a little bit and went right back down. My mom has the same problem sometimes, which results in her falling over a lot. The difference is, she's not dumb enough to keep driving.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
at least he didnt run off a baby carriage while he was at it, it seems that the elderly like to punish a few of the young when they decide its time to die