Elliot Spitzer Tackles the Big Issues

PunchYourself187

I, The Operator
Apr 24, 2004
Isn't the U.S. in the middle of a war?

From Ultimate Guitar.com

FAKE BANDS BANNED
New York lawmakers have tackled the most important issue of modern times, no it's not falling wages and rising cost of living, predatory lending or even illegal immigration. They have bigger fish to fry and they have targeted the biggest threat to western civilization: fake cover bands!

New York Governor Eliot Spitzer has signed the Truth In Music law which outlaws bogus bands from performing in the state under the name of established artists. The hairbands traveling the country with just their original bass player need not worry, this law only outlaws performing under a band name if the group playing does not feature any original members and if they get caught it could cost them a cool $15,000.

"Music artists work for years to build names for themselves in the entertainment industry," Spitzer said in a statement. "We should not allow others to impersonate their work and profit from that deception."

50s bands like the Coasters, the Drifters and Sha Na Na lobbied for the bill which takes effect next month. Here's hoping they outlaw emo clone bands next.

fishkiller

West Coast Douche
Jan 14, 2006
Mckinleyville, CA
Isn't that what lawyers are for? protecting intellectual property. Wow they might take a negative stance on smoking next.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
this is no business of the govt. they have roadies to fight this over and get it resolved.

PunchYourself187

I, The Operator
Apr 24, 2004
"I don't care how many soldiers have to die - the intellectual property rights of Sha Na Na WILL be protected."

So, what country is everybody moving to when all of this nonsense catches up to us? O&A has a decent following in the U.K., The Netherlands, and Australia.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
So, what country is everybody moving to when all of this nonsense catches up to us? O&A has a decent following in the U.K., The Netherlands, and Australia.
I've been to Oz, lovely country...would go there in a heartbeat. I'd better hurry up and go tho before my passport expires next year since it's taking AGES to get them renewed now.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Well what do you expect? Elliot Spitzer has to do something with his free time when he's not harassing his political opponents or illegally using state resources.

I don't give a shit. As long as the fucker doesn't spearhead raising my taxes like the last cunt we had as Governor he can go after as many rat haired makeup wearing jizzbags he wants.

And I hope he sends the real fucking KISS to Guantanamo.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Well what do you expect? Elliot Spitzer has to do something with his free time when he's not harassing his political opponents or illegally using state resources.
Spitzer is an asshole like ALL politician's, the only thing they care about is themselves and the people who got them where they are today.

The only good politician is a DEAD ONE! :icon_mrgr

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i feel so much safer now

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I don't give a shit. As long as the fucker doesn't spearhead raising my taxes like the last cunt we had as Governor he can go after as many rat haired makeup wearing jizzbags he wants.

And I hope he sends the real fucking KISS to Guantanamo.
What happened to your love for people who don't abuse power?

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Just lawyers being lawyers. They can't help themselves.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Spitzer is an asshole like ALL politician's, the only thing they care about is themselves and the people who got them where they are today.

The only good politician is a DEAD ONE! :icon_mrgr

Actually he's forgetting about a lot of the people who got him there...our lobbyist tells us that he's forgotten just about everyone who endorsed him. Pisses me off since my getting more than a 1% raise with 2 zeros on either end of a three year contract all hinge on him (that's actually what wacky pataki wanted to give us three years ago)

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
I don't understand why everyone is mentioning Iraq. What does this have to do with Iraq? Elliot Spitzer isn't the district attorney of Faluja and he isn't in command of any decision making on anything dealing with Iraq.

If your friend went to a bar Saturday you don't say to him "How can you go to a bar when people are dying in Iraq?" If you go to your 9-5 people don't say "How can you show up for work at a time when people are dying in Iraq?"

Enough with this bullshit. Yeah, I know you all are doing it because Anthony throws this fallacy around all the time but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Oh yeah, and 11,111 posts.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Enough with this bullshit. Yeah, I know you all are doing it because Anthony throws this fallacy around all the time but that doesn't make it any less stupid.
Isn't he usually referring to the media though?

PunchYourself187

I, The Operator
Apr 24, 2004
I don't understand why everyone is mentioning Iraq. What does this have to do with Iraq? Elliot Spitzer isn't the district attorney of Faluja and he isn't in command of any decision making on anything dealing with Iraq.

If your friend went to a bar Saturday you don't say to him "How can you go to a bar when people are dying in Iraq?" If you go to your 9-5 people don't say "How can you show up for work at a time when people are dying in Iraq?"

Actually, I don't rely on O&A to do my thinking for me. To answer your question, the reason why it matters that Elliot Spitzer is concentrating on this nonsense is because it is indicative of present U.S. politicians - they are concentrating on nonsense and avoiding the pressing issues. This is a "safe" issue; that's why Spitzer went for it. No one here expects everyone to drop what they are doing because there is a war going on, but we do expect our politicians to address important matters and they just aren't doing that.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be

Oh yeah, and 11,111 posts.

Not a lemming, I do my own thinking, thank you very much. Maybe using the war as an example but the general idea is that NYS has bigger problems than fake cover bands and that's what he should be concentrating on. The judiciary hasn't had raises in 10 years, there's political infighting, campaign reform, Homeland Security cut some of the funding to New York City which in case anyone has forgotten was one of the targets of September 11. The City's infrastructure needs repairing & I'm sure there are issues that need to be addressed Upstate.

But instead - he's worried about protecting artists.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Then mention an important New York state issue. Talking about Iraq just looks silly. :action-sm

That being said this Spitzer does sound like an ass. Sounds like he keeps doing stuff to keep himself in the news. Run for governorship / senate?

Bill

Aug 11, 2004
Huntington Station
The New York legislature passed a bill and the Governor signed it. How much of his time and concentration did it take to pass a bill that was debated and passed by the legislature?

Wouldn't it have taken more time & effort for him to have vetoed this bill?

PunchYourself187

I, The Operator
Apr 24, 2004
That being said this Spitzer does sound like an ass. Sounds like he keeps doing stuff to keep himself in the news. Run for governorship / senate?
He reminds of the kid in class that would tell the teacher when she forgot to give us homework.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Pennsylvania passed a similar law last year:

February 22, 2006: Pennsylvania Governor Edward G. Rendell signed his state's version of the "Truth in Music Advertising Act" into law. The bill, introduced by Senator Bob Robbins (R - Mercer), prohibits anyone from either advertising or conducting "a live musical performance in Pennsylvania through the use of false, deceptive or misleading affiliation, connection or association between a performing group and a recording group." If such fraud is discovered, Attorney General Tom Corbett is empowered to stop said performances and impose fines of $5,000 to $15,000.
About 16 states have similar laws on the books.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
The New York legislature passed a bill and the Governor signed it. How much of his time and concentration did it take to pass a bill that was debated and passed by the legislature?

Wouldn't it have taken more time & effort for him to have vetoed this bill?
a veto is a 4-step process...pick up "Veto" stamp, ink said stamp, stamp "Veto" on paper, replace stamp.

signing a bill is a 3-step process...pick up pen, sign name, put pen down.

Eureka! You've solved the mystery ... it took less time to sign it than veto it :action-sm

turdfrgsn

it's a funny name
Mar 7, 2005
North Beach, MD
ny'ers really are the most self-hating people on the planet

exhibit a: chuck schumer

exhibit b: hillary clinton

exhibit c: eliot spitzer

class dismissed