Empire Of Man series by John Ringo

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
So Johnny Ringo has this scifi series, set way in the future. The scion of the human empire gets dumped onto a shithole planet in an assassination attempt, does some badass killing with his bodyguards to get away, only to discover that the assassins succeeded in killing his older siblings and have control of his mother, the Empress.

The author, Ringo, is snippeting pieces on his Facebook page right now. Kind of a fantasy of how you'd like to fix government if you got handed massive power.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Prince Roger books continued, but without David Weber?

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Why Johnny Ringo you like someone just walked over your manuscript

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Great Series. I have all four if you need to "borrow" it. It's also all over the internet, legally.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Looking forward to it. One of my favorite series ever, any genre.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Looking forward to it. One of my favorite series ever, any genre.
From the snippets so far, there's a lot of "how does the Empire work?" stuff at first. Which I dig, but some people won't

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
"And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The best sci-fi author since Philip K. Dick, they say."
Darling Should I hate em?
You never read em
But there is something about his prose that reminds me of.....of me
Thats it I hate em

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
So, is this a new series or a spin off of something older? I've read some of his stuff but not enough to have it as canon. :)

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
So, is this a new series or a spin off of something older? I've read some of his stuff but not enough to have it as canon. :)
Well, it's not canon yet. Ringo is just starting on the sequel to "We Few", it hasn't gotten rewritten by Weber yet, and he's still on the first couple of chapters. But he's writing it, which is the important thing. Ringo writes *fast*, when the muse strikes him. He cranked out all (four?) of his zombie books in just a year, for instance. Even if the first if tgen hasn't been officially published yet. There's the tail-end stuff like editing and the like, but the actual meat of the books is written. So the We Few sequel will likely be available in less than a year, at least in eARC form. Baen's good about that. Then again, Weber might slow things down. He's apparently not able to type and has to use voice recognition software for his writing, so that slows things down quite a bit.

The snippets Ringo has put up so far are of Roger in the throne room backing down the Empire's House of Commons and House of Lords. He's basically telling them that he's going to follow the precedent of Miranda the Great, not of the politicians Emperors/Empresses of the recent past. He's going to be a dictator who pays a little attention to the Commons and Lords, but he's there to win a fucking civil war so shut the fuck up and just do as you're told.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
So to answer your question, Kug, it's an old series. The Empire of Man series is the official title for "The March Upcountry", "March To the Sea", "March To The Stars", and "We Few" series about Prince Roger. It's among Ringo's earlier work.

Baen has this practice of pairing newer authors (which Ringo was at the time) with veteran authors. Ringo and David Weber were paired for this series. Or this could have just been a collaboration. I'm never quite sure which category a pair up is in.

It's fun stuff. At this point, I think we're looking at Ringo's version of Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders", if you follow. Ringo likes to get into politics and play "how do you build a better society" stuff. If you really want to see his POV on government and society, check out "The Last Centurion" by Ringo. That's almost all political service. It's pure right-wing, good society stuff.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Darling Should I hate em?
You never read em
But there is something about his prose that reminds me of.....of me
Thats it I hate em
"This happens to be sci-fi."
"Which?"
"You know, science fucking fiction?"

VMS

Apr 26, 2006

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
"This happens to be sci-fi."
"Which?"
"You know, science fucking fiction?"
Look its the drunk science fiction writer. Youre so drunk I bet youre seeing double

I got 2 novels....one for each of ya

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Look its the drunk science fiction writer. Youre so drunk I bet youre seeing double

I got 2 novels....one for each of ya
"A man like Ringo has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never write enough, or publish enough, or inflict enough pain on his characters to ever fill it."

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
"A man like Ringo has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never write enough, or publish enough, or inflict enough pain on his characters to ever fill it."
That Pride and Prejudice darling. Ringo here is a well read man. Now I really hate em

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That Pride and Prejudice darling. Ringo here is a well read man. Now I really hate em
"Why, Ed... does this mean you're not my editor anymore? You know, Ed, if I thought you weren't my editor... I just don't think I could bear it."

Last edited:

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Were the zombie books any good?
I think they are. Not literature, but a damn good time. The first book is going to be published next month in hardcover. I think you can get it for $5-$6 as an ebook right now. I got it a few months ago as an eARC for $15.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Under a Graveyard Sky is the title of the first of his zombie books.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I already have it, just got to reading another series, and haven't got around to it yet. I liked those one books, but when the dude started his compound in eastern Europe and had sex slaves, it went off the tracks a bit, sorta like the old Gor novels.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
I already have it, just got to reading another series, and haven't got around to it yet. I liked those one books, but when the dude started his compound in eastern Europe and had sex slaves, it went off the tracks a bit, sorta like the old Gor novels.
The Ghost stuff? Pure male fantasy shit. Yes, rather Gorean, but fun. Pure dude stuff. Bang hot chicks, shoot badass guns, save the world. What's more fun than that?