Movie Ender's Game ☼ 11.1.13

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I heard Orson Scott Card talk about the process of making this a movie, and left the lecture convinced that this would be a very faithful-to-the-book project. But the director of Wolverine??? Uh oh...

The Enders Game movie puts out casting calls for 10 characters — including Ender!

It looks like the Ender's Game movie is really moving forward, with Gavin Hood (Wolverine) as director. The film put out a ton of casting calls a couple weeks ago, including all the major characters.

The casting calls appear to be from a draft of the script, written by Star Trek's Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, and they give a pretty good idea of just how closely this film will stick to the book's story. Here's our exclusive look at the Ender's Game casting calls.
Way more about the characters and shit at the link.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I think I read somewhere that Justin Bieber is probably going to be cast as Ender.

:trollol:

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I think I read somewhere that Justin Bieber is probably going to be cast as Ender.

:trollol:
I know you're joking, but he's too old. One of the things OSC said was that he refused to let them make Ender older. He needs to be a pre-teen kid. It's actually very important to the plot.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I just hope that this doesnt spawn a trilogy, Speaker for the Dead would be a nightmare to create and honestly probably wouldnt translate to film in any way.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I just hope that this doesnt spawn a trilogy, Speaker for the Dead would be a nightmare to create and honestly probably wouldnt translate to film in any way.
I agree. The Pequininos would just be cutesy Ewok creatures, and the severity of the whole situation will just get completely lost.

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
That story was such a departure from the original I couldn't even believe it.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
You know they're gonna fagify this and turn it into Twilight in space.
I said this in another thread but it is worth repeating: I went to an OSC lecture, and he was telling the story of the first time he tried to sell the rights to an Ender's Game movie. He was about to sign it, and the studio guy said: "You do know we're making Ender 16 and introducing a love interest, right?" and Card ripped up the contract in front of the guy. He said he'd rather not sell the rights at all than get some abomination that is nothing like his book. Good for him. I hope this works out.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Release date and Orson Scott Card comments:

For those of you have been anxiously waiting for Ender's Game like we have, you now have a date to look forward to. Summit Entertainment will release the Gavin Hood directed big screen adaptation on March 15th, 2013!

The author of the book and screenwriter Orson Scott Card recent reached out to us and gave us some details and insight on what we have to look forward to from the movie. Here's what he had to say...

The problem with the book, as a movie, is that all the important information about ender's motives comes from internal monologue - his thoughts. Since voiceovers are loathsome, Ender's actions would remain unexplained, and he would appear to be little more than a violent kid.

Also, the book would make a movie that was at least four hours long. Much has to be cut - including all of Peter's and Valentine's online exploits, the mind game, and much of the incidental material before Ender gets into Bonzo's army.

In short, much will be omitted. But I remain confident that as long as the character of Ender himself, with his relationships with other kids, is in the movie, it will still be Ender's Game to my own satisfaction and the satisfaction of the fans.

...Whoever plays Ender will almost certainly be an actor you haven't seen before, and with any luck, a child who has not gone through the soul-numbing process of being cute on camera. In other words, I hope it is a child who never had an agent, but who is very, very intelligent and therefore can take direction.

Here is my own source of greatest confidence: The movie will not erase a single word of the book! That's how I endure knowing that Peter Jackson committed the repulsive crime of removing the Scouring of the Shire from the Lord of the Rings movie, which is akin to removing the last chapter from EG. THAT, at least, I know will not happen in the EG movie - all the producers understand that the point of the story is finding out that the very thing that allowed Ender to defeat the formics (loving his enemy in order to defeat them) makes his discovery all the more galling to him.

Interesting...

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
He says a lot has to be cut for his movie, and then slams Peter Jackson for cutting something?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
He says a lot has to be cut for his movie, and then slams Peter Jackson for cutting something?
I think he's talking about trimming the fat vs. an entire event. I don't know if you've read LOTR, but the Scouring of the Shire is a pretty big deal that they just sort of ignored.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I read the wikipedia entry on it before I made my post in here. It does seem like it would have been a better way to end everything.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
First image

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Interesting. I always imagined that place to be less "clean" but whatevs. I'm still massively excited.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Interesting. I always imagined that place to be less "clean" but whatevs. I'm still massively excited.
Really? I always imagined it to be almost painfully sterile.

Kids are too old *grumble* (I know, no way to do it right with younger kids. Kid actors suck.)

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
I would have been fine if this had never been made. I am more scared of it being fucked up than wanting to see it.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Downside is they are way too old but the upside is the white girl already sticking out them titties and Hailee Steinfeld.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
My problem is that the girl in yellow doesn't know how to fall in properly.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Really? I always imagined it to be almost painfully sterile.
That is interesting. I always pictured it way more industrial looking, like something from the alien universe. Something like that.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
That is interesting. I always pictured it way more industrial looking, like something from the alien universe. Something like that.
That is interesting. I went just the opposite, kinda 2001-ish, or like a hospital. White walls, floors so shiny you can see your face. Rooms all looking the same except for the contents, that sort of thing.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm scared. This is going to be very different from the book. OSC's comments were not encouraging despite their polite tone.