England is getting more stupid by the day

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
Banning samurai swords

LONDON (Reuters) - The government said Wednesday it would ban the sale of samurai swords because the weapons had been used in a number of serious, high-profile attacks.

The Home Office said the swords would be added to the Offensive Weapons Order from April next year, meaning they could not be imported, sold or hired.

However collectors of genuine Japanese swords and those used by martial arts enthusiasts would be exempt from the ban.

"In the wrong hands, samurai swords are dangerous weapons," Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said.

"We recognize it is the cheap, easily available samurai swords which are being used in crime and not the genuine more expensive samurai swords which are of interest to collectors and martial arts enthusiasts."

The Association of Chief Police Officers said the swords were not a common weapon but they had been used in a number of significant incidents.

In 2000, Robert Ashman murdered a Liberal Democrat councilor at the offices of Cheltenham MP Nigel Jones, who was also seriously hurt in the attack.

A year earlier, Eden Strang seriously wounded 11 people when he went on the rampage with a samurai sword at a Roman Catholic Church near his home in Thornton Heath, south London.

----

I shake my head in disgust. Give your cops guns already.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Banning samurai swords

LONDON (Reuters) - The government said Wednesday it would ban the sale of samurai swords because the weapons had been used in a number of serious, high-profile attacks.

The Home Office said the swords would be added to the Offensive Weapons Order from April next year, meaning they could not be imported, sold or hired.

However collectors of genuine Japanese swords and those used by martial arts enthusiasts would be exempt from the ban.

"In the wrong hands, samurai swords are dangerous weapons," Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said.

"We recognize it is the cheap, easily available samurai swords which are being used in crime and not the genuine more expensive samurai swords which are of interest to collectors and martial arts enthusiasts."

The Association of Chief Police Officers said the swords were not a common weapon but they had been used in a number of significant incidents.

In 2000, Robert Ashman murdered a Liberal Democrat councilor at the offices of Cheltenham MP Nigel Jones, who was also seriously hurt in the attack.

A year earlier, Eden Strang seriously wounded 11 people when he went on the rampage with a samurai sword at a Roman Catholic Church near his home in Thornton Heath, south London.

----

I shake my head in disgust. Give your cops guns already.

there stupid huh?

Why dont you compare their murder rate to ours Jack. One thing England will never be is stupider than us.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
And let us not forget that they have this CRAZY idea that all individuals, citizen or not, have a basic right to health care.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
there stupid huh?

Why dont you compare their murder rate to ours Jack. One thing England will never be is stupider than us.
Why don't you compare their violent crime rates to ours?

Assault is almost as high, burglary is double, robbery is right there with us, car theft is higher, overall crime is higher.

England is made up of a bunch of babies. It's illegal to even defend yourself using force over there.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
there stupid huh?

I didn't say they were stupider than us. I said they are simply becoming more stupid. I've been there, they do a lot of silly shit. Banning a katana, is silly. It's a close quarter weapon, it's easy to break if you don't know how to use it. In my opinion they should spend the time and effort on road signs and cuisine.

However like sbrainb stated below they do have a very good health care system and would like to see us have some kind of system like that.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
need to hammer out the dental though... apparently getting a dentist appontment is nearly impossible... most just go the cash route.

and trybal i dought those statistics... ill look em up later.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
need to hammer out the dental though... apparently getting a dentist appontment is nearly impossible... most just go the cash route.

and trybal i dought those statistics... ill look em up later.
I got quick ones from HERE - what's funny is that even though assault rates are slightly lower and :rap: is also lower, the percentage of the population that have been assaulted and :rap:ed in England is higher. So I don't know if only convictions count.

Grem

Enjoying life one T-Cell at a time.
Oct 4, 2006
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
It's illegal to even defend yourself using force over there.
If someone was to attack you, you can use whatever force is needed to stop them. so if a guy tried to stab you it would be perfectly legal to kill them if that was required to stop them.

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
Now on the topic of all cops having having guns, I'm not sure it would help anything. There is going to be a certain amount of gun crime in any country regardless of whether the general public have access to guns or not. At the moment if there is a guy with a gun, Armed Police are called out to deal with the situation. But if all cops had guns I think more criminals would also start to carry guns, and there would be more shootings.

But hey what do I know?

And let the discussion begin...

P.S. I think the banning of Samurai swords is retarded.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Why don't you compare their violent crime rates to ours?

Assault is almost as high, burglary is double, robbery is right there with us, car theft is higher, overall crime is higher.

England is made up of a bunch of babies. It's illegal to even defend yourself using force over there.
Back in about 2003 the United Nations put out a study comparing the violent crime rates of all of the modern industrial nations.

The top three nations that you're most likely to become a victim of voilent crime were all in the UK. Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

Just because they "ban" weapons doesn't mean shit gets any safer.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
If someone was to attack you, you can use whatever force is needed to stop them. so if a guy tried to stab you it would be perfectly legal to kill them if that was required to stop them.
Same here, but let me ask you a question. If a criminal is trying to kill you by stabbing how is it you're going to kill him? Are you going to whip out your imaginary pistol, knife or samurai sword? Or maybe you can take the knife away with your bare hands(which you will end up being wounded...always even if trained) and then kill him with it.

Good luck over there Big Brother.

Over here if someone tries to stab me they magically become corpses via the wonder of physics. 230grain copper-jacketed lead traveling at 850fps + 400ft lbs of energy = neutralized threat.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
Unfortunately I read more and more stories of people on your side of the pond being prosecuted for defending themselves against violent attackers.

I hope I am wrong, for the sake of the people living there.

TrybalRage

Aug 5, 2004
Kennesaw, GA
Back in about 2003 the United Nations put out a study comparing the violent crime rates of all of the modern industrial nations.

The top three nations that you're most likely to become a victim of voilent crime were all in the UK. Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

Just because they "ban" weapons doesn't mean shit gets any safer.

2005 - heres a BBC story - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4257966.stm

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
I'm not worried yet. Gordon Brown sucks so bad its funny, he was all right as the Countries financial guy but he is a shit Prime Minister, So it its pretty much guaranteed the the Conservatives will come into power and reverse a lot of the shit the labour party has done lately. Such as the prisoner early release scheme (I cannot possibly understand how they thought that was a good idea).

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
At the moment this is what our political process has come down to:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Ps7fJm7rk [/MEDIA]

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
there stupid huh?

Are you out of your mind? England is not some perfect fucking utopia. Their self-defense laws, in particular, are a fucking JOKE. Let me put it this way: if some savage attacks you, and you fight back and defend yourself, YOU are likely to get prosecuted and possibly get MORE jailtime than your attacker.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
And let us not forget that they have this CRAZY idea that all individuals, citizen or not, have a basic right to health care.
And they would be wrong. Pay for your own shit.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
There is no such thing as a British citizen. They are British SUBJECTs of the royal family and they will suspend the "rights" ofthe people when they feel like it. Kind of like the other month when Ant was talking about how they don't need evidence to hold you in jail, they can just hold you on the Queen's pleasure."

That's what happens when you have a constitutional monarchy.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
The whole world's getting more stupid by the day. I'm ashamed of my planet.

Grem

Oct 4, 2006
Don't you guys have 'the Queen's pleasure' too? isn't it called Guantanamo bay?

Oh and this is what 'at Her Majesty's pleasure' means:
My thinking is you can't just lock someone up without evidence, it just means that the prison sentence isn't set in stone.

Prisoners held at Her Majesty's pleasure are frequently reviewed to determine whether their sentence can be deemed complete; although this power traditionally rested with the monarch, such reviews are now made by the Home Secretary. Minimum terms are also set, before which the prisoner cannot be released; these were originally set by the Home Secretary, but since 30 November 2000 have been set by the trial judge. Prisoners' sentences are typically deemed to be complete when the reviewing body is "satisfied that there has been a significant change in the offender's attitude and behaviour."

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Don't you guys have 'the Queen's pleasure' too? isn't it called Guantanamo bay?
Um...no.
Not a U.S. Citizen = no U.S. Citizen rights.
Not a POW = no Geneva rights.

If I had my way, we'd treat illegal immigrants the same way.