OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Eric Cantor - Hypocrite

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MayrMeninoCrash, Nov 1, 2011.

1. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Why do Tea Partiers fall for this crap? Big government is bad, my ass.

http://www.politicususa.com/en/eric-cantor-begged-obama-stimulus

Why doesn't Cantor just sit back and wait for Ayn Rand to build him some high speed railroads?

2. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Nice unbiased source.

This is a terrible argument. One can absolutely fight the stimulus, but once it's passed they have a responsibility to their constituents to try and get as much of THEIR TAX MONEY back. Also, no one argues that the government can create jobs. They can absolutely take $100k a year and put someone to work. The argument is the jobs are not as beneficial as they would be in the private sector, who can hire that same worker at the same compensation for less cost... and also ensure that productivity from that worker is sufficient. Not to mention for every job created in the private sector you have a net tax gain, while for every job created by the government you have a net tax loss.

3. MayrMeninoCrash

How many private enterprises do you have fighting to build new rail systems in the USA? And once built, what types of business and industry do you think they will facilitate?

4. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

Bingo.

You'd think these lefties learned their lesson when they started whining about Jindal's stimulus check picture last year.

5. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

So I guess in Mayr's world, anyone who opposed the Bush tax cuts should just ignore them and pay more taxes, otherwise they'd all be hypocrites, right?

6. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

Because I think she is dead

7. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

That'd be kind of cool if the next studio to offer Sean Penn or any of these other "Raise my taxes" losers a film said that they were just going to give the Government the check. Wonder how that would go over?

8. Hoagie

Hoagie I suggest you tread lightly
    Wackbag Staff

About 650 of them. Pretty much every private rail freight carrier would love to expand their rail network and branch out to new areas. It's just very difficult to get right of ways and often local governments hold these right of ways for hefty ransom. The railroads are one industry that has been mostly recession proof and are actually doing quite well. Amtrak, as always, would be able to piggy back off any new lines that are built and would help the traffic that piles up around Richmond.

Can't blame the guy for going after stimulus money after it was passed. To sit there and refuse to go after the money because you didn't agree with it would be acting like a petulant child. I would expect my elected official to do the same thing in that situation. If the federal government insists on throwing my tax money around then I expect my representative to fight tooth and nail to get as much of my tax money to be used to improve the area I live in as he or she can.

9. MayrMeninoCrash

Freight rail =/= High Speed Passenger Rail

You can blame him when his whole philosophy is based on government spending = bad!

10. whiskeyguy

No you can't. You're looking at this in an extremely limited way.

Government spending is bad. Work your ass off to prevent it. If you fail and that spending happens, your taxpaying constituents have to foot the bill, so now work your ass of to get them some of their money back. If there was an option where his constituents didn't have to pay the taxes because he didn't support the spending, then he would be a hypocrite for taking the money. However when Option A (no government spending) is removed, you go with Option B (getting as much value for your taxpaying constituents as possible). There's absolutely nothing wrong with that mentality.

11. MayrMeninoCrash

I'm looking at it the way the Conservative Stimulus Hater Brigade on Wackbag told me to look at it. You're missing the point I'm making. It's one thing if all Cantor did was earmark some money that was eventually provided to his district since it would be a "return" on tax money paid by his constituents. But Cantor ACTIVELY requested funding for a specific purpose, and he used the reasoning/justification for the earmarked project that spending the money in a stimulus fashion on his pet project would lead to an increase in jobs. This is a complete reversal of his quoted position that "Government spending doesn't increase revenue and doesn't increase jobs".

12. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

Fixed.

13. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Cantor's a Keynesian? :icon_eek:

14. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

To be fair, he said "doesn't," not "can't."

15. MayrMeninoCrash

Apparently it's OK to be Keynesian for your district, as long as you make it policy to not do it for the rest of the country.

16. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

Wow, now you're really reaching. Even if he believed that it could work, but it won't because of how it's being done, why accept money to do something that you believe won't happen?

17. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Well, I wasn't really arguing that point, but since Mayr quoted him, I figured it might be relevant. I agree with Whiskeyguy though. Just see my point about the Bush tax cuts. Every single rich person who opposed them is still silently reaping their benefits. Cantor's job is to help his district any way he can. He doesn't think that this method is good for creating jobs, but a high speed railway would be good for his district even if it didn't. He would be negligent to not use every method available to help his district. Is it shady behavior? Yes. But that's politics. At least he's trying to create a situation in which he couldn't ask for that money even if he wanted to.

18. whiskeyguy

Government doesn't create the right type of jobs. As I stated before, sure the government can take money and create a position. No one on earth will dispute it. However they are not the right type of jobs to build our economy. For one, government jobs take more money out of the budget then they put in. Most government positions are a negative cost to taxpayers. They don't create more wealth (value) than they spend. This includes both employees of the government and private sector jobs supported by taxpayer money.

Second, government jobs generally are extremely inefficient. For example, if you have an accountant for the government, and one for a private business, all other things being equal the accountant that works for the government probably costs more to employ for possibly less work received.

Finally, taxpayer supported jobs cannot usually last without further support. For example, you can spend $1 trillion to employ 2,000 people to build a 200 mile railroad... but what happens when that railroad is completed? Those jobs were not created in the natural market and thus cannot be sustained without artificial input in the form of taxpayer funds. Ideal employment is allowing pure growth with little or no outside influence, so that it can be sustained in the natural market... simply because it is meeting a real market demand rather than an artificial one.

19. MayrMeninoCrash

With any luck the railroad will connect two key points, maybe a port and a large distribution center, and spur private investment to increase shipments of goods, putting more people to work, and people will need housing and shopping and schools to live in. The only government spending that earns us zero return is the one Conservatives love the most and that is dropping bombs on countries. No one is saying build railroads just for the hell of it. There are plenty of opportunities for smart investments by the government, for works that are too risky or beyond the realm of a private investor, that will undoubtedly lead to more production and employment in the future.

I could think of a hundred examples, but let's start with one. Hoover Dam. Without it, would Las Vegas even be there? Did the Government spend millions on a concrete monolith and walk away, with no further return on that investment?

20. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

If you can think of a hundred examples, why did you use the same one communists always use when they claim that government can produce something of value? It's ALWAYS the Hoover Dam.

21. MayrMeninoCrash

Would you prefer the Tennesee Valley Authority?

22. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

So going by Cantor's philosophy, Solyndra was totally justified lobbying for tax dollars up for grabs that had already been appropriated.

:trollol:

23. whiskeyguy

Sure. It was the government who was in the wrong by actually giving it to them without any type of due diligence or protection clause attached.

24. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Wow. First, Whiskeyguy and NeonTaster are totally right. A representative has every obligation to return some of the funds that his district has payed out AFTER they have been appropriated. If he was just earmarking general funds for his district, that would be hypocrisy. About the alleged hypocrisy of applying for stimulus funds on the premise that this high speed rail project will create jobs, how the fuck else is he supposed to get the funds approved? By saying "please give us money for a project that we think will not really create any permanent jobs"? Sometimes you have to play the game and talk the talk.

Second, no one has mentioned that high speed rail is a terrible investment and the fact that THIS is what he was lobbying for is why he should be getting roasted.
    http://dailymail.com/Opinion/rsamuelson/201102130679?page=1&build=cache
    http://reason.com/blog/2011/11/01/breaking-california-high-speed
    http://stevenbirnspeaks.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/amtrak-high-speed-rail-a-giant-waste-of-money/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/19/california-high-speed-rail-lawsuits_n_970652.html

Nevermind, I figured out why he was trying to get high speed rail:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/polit...l-fast-way-waste-taxpayer-money#ixzz1cVwV5jpM

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/05/09/lahood.rail/index.html

25. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

-Ronald Reagan