Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
It was Scooter Libby!

Attorney general names prosecutors to probe leaks

By Alexandra Alper

WASHINGTON | Fri Jun 8, 2012 9:13pm EDT

(Reuters) - Attorney General Eric Holder on Friday appointed two chief federal prosecutors to spearhead an investigation into suspected leaks of classified information amid allegations that the White House made the disclosures to boost President Barack Obama's election chances.

Holder said the investigation would be headed by U.S. Attorneys Ronald Machen Jr. of Washington, D.C., and Rod Rosenstein of Maryland, who would be "fully authorized to prosecute criminal violations discovered as a result of their investigation."

"The unauthorized disclosure of classified information can compromise the security of this country and all Americans and it will not be tolerated," Holder said in a statement.

The secrets, revealed in media stories, have included reports on U.S. cyber warfare against Iran, procedures for targeting militants with drones and the existence of a double agent who penetrated a militant group in Yemen.

The issue has spilled into the presidential campaign, with some Republicans charging the leaks appear calculated to boost the Democratic president's re-election prospects.

But Obama brushed off the allegations at a news conference on Friday where he told reporters he was offended by the charges and would not "play" with security issues.

"The notion that my White House would purposely release classified national security information is offensive," he said. "It's wrong and people I think need to have a better sense of how I approach this office."

CONGRESSIONAL, CAMPAIGN FINGER POINTING

U.S. lawmakers from both political parties have been unnerved by the publication of sensitive information and are planning legislation to toughen penalties for leakers.

One lawmaker said there were indications a high-level individual was involved in the media disclosures.

"Someone from a very senior clearance level has provided information, that's very clear in the preliminary review," Representative Mike Rogers, the Republican chairman of the House of Representatives intelligence committee, told Reuters.

But both Democrats and Republicans welcomed Holder's announcement.

"I am pleased he has picked strong, capable, independent prosecutors for the investigation," Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said in a statement.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican, said he hoped the Justice Department would bring "the full force of the law" against the leakers.

"We need to send a clear message to anyone who considers leaking sensitive information and putting Americans at risk: if you leak classified information, you will face jail time," he said.

The FBI also has opened investigations into some of the recent reports about sensitive national security matters.

ZERO TOLERANCE

Obama also said on Friday that he would root out those responsible for the revelations because "in some cases it's criminal - these are criminal acts when they release information like this. And we will conduct thorough investigations, as we have in the past.

"Since I've been in office my attitude has been zero tolerance for these kinds of leaks and speculation.

Obama's Justice Department has been criticized by media and civil liberties advocates for prosecuting low-level leakers.

But Senator John McCain, the Republican who lost the presidency to Obama in 2008, has accused the administration of apparently sanctioning leaks by senior administration officials for political purposes.

Democratic Representative C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger said on Friday there could be authorized releases of information by the president or his top advisers.

"The president can declassify issues, the National Security Council can declassify issues," he said. "Sometimes you want to declassify because it's important for your investigation, or its important to send messages. This is part of what we need to look at."

Democrats had not joined Republican calls for a special counsel to look into the release of sensitive information. Ruppersberger said one reason a special prosecutor might be sought would be if there was "pushback" from the administration when investigators ask for documents and information.

"But from what I understand now, the administration has said they will fully cooperate," Ruppersberger said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012...=Feed:+reuters/topNews+(News+/+US+/+Top+News)

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I will believe it when I see people getting cuffed for it.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Investigations already over, no leaks here!

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Holder is the same cunt who charged a squad of Navy SEAL's with assault on the word of an Afghan prisoner. fuck him.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Holder is the same cunt who charged a squad of Navy SEAL's with assault on the word of an Afghan prisoner. fuck him.
Holder is a cunt but glad this major shit is getting heat. And i don't remember any Navy SEAL squad getting charged with assault on the word of an Afghan prisoner, is this recent?

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
They were all found innocent btw.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Yeah just looked like bullshit pc 'charges' they were trying to sell to libs.
There has been an unwritten rule that you don't do that to special operators. This administration has continued to show contempt to the military. Just look how the Bin Laden raid was handeled. Years of inteligences iis now worthless because Obama needed to make it public the DEVGRU killed Bin laden.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
You guys are all wrong. When I brought up concerns that the White House was releasing too much info from the bin Laden raid, Mayr assured us all that this was a brilliant misinformation campaign by President Obama's White House to confuse AQ and to bring them down.

This is all part of the maskirovka, I'm sure.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Holder said the investigation would be headed by U.S. Attorneys Ronald Machen Jr. of Washington, D.C., and Rod Rosenstein of Maryland, who would be "fully authorized to prosecute criminal violations discovered as a result of their investigation."
When Valerie Plame had her cover blown, the Justice Department withdrew from the case and left an independent prosecutor in charge as soon as suspicion was cast on members of the Bush administration.

Why can't this scumbag do the same?

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
at this point, I'm thinking that Holder is going to be "asked" to step down before too much is made of his current contempt of Congress troubles. The Obama-loving media is going to find it harder and harder to ignore this story and some others

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Issa has been rattling the "contempt" charges saber for years.

The media is hardly ignoring it... how did you hear about it? Smoke signals?

its kind of the kid that cried wolf one too many times. Issa threatens contempt charges all the time... makes it not that big of a story when he does it yet again.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Why can't this scumbag do the same?
Because he's the guy that covers shit up.

at this point, I'm thinking that Holder is going to be "asked" to step down before too much is made of his current contempt of Congress troubles. The Obama-loving media is going to find it harder and harder to ignore this story and some others
Four years of constantly breaking the law isn't going to end with a little contempt of Congress citation. Holder is the professional "fixer" for the regime. Anytime someone gets close to sticking a charge on him, he just cries "racism" and goes back to breaking the law.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
It's courts martial, you illiterate fat fuck.
fuck off shit dick.

whooopdie doo edith... its the internet spelling patrol!!! Look out!!!!!!! why let my spell check self correct any more, it upsets DumbTheTruck so I have to mis-spelll more :D

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Four years of constantly breaking the law isn't going to end with a little contempt of Congress citation. Holder is the professional "fixer" for the regime. Anytime someone gets close to sticking a charge on him, he just cries "racism" and goes back to breaking the law.
yeah cuz that stops charges from being brought against him... or perhaps Issa is a right wing taint licker looking to score points with the Koch Bros (to throw in some random hyperbolic partisan accusations) and throws around the threat of charges (which can do with absolutely no accountability or basis in reality) at the drop of a campaign contribution (to throw in some random hyperbolic partisan accusations)

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
fuck off shit dick.

whooopdie doo edith... its the internet spelling patrol!!! Look out!!!!!!! why let my spell check self correct any more, it upsets DumbTheTruck so I have to mis-spelll more :D
Oh, MagicSlob, you're such a cunt.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Wasn't Magic Bob the one that claimed to be a professional journalist? And he doesn't know the correct usage of court martial? That's not a typo. That's ignorance. And not knowing to pluralize the first word of a compound noun is illiteracy.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
tell us all again how Holder brought the charges against the SEAL's... I LOVE that one. Idiot.
You do realize that the administration put pressure on the Dept of the Navy to force the SEAL's to be tried, right? The SEAL's then requested a Courts Martial.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
tell us all again how Holder brought the charges against the SEAL's... I LOVE that one. Idiot.
Tell us again how court martial is spelled court marshal, and the plural is court marshals. Is that a discount clothing store or something? Then you can tell us how you're a journalist with advanced English degrees. I'd make a Condescending Wonka meme for you, but you're not worth the effort, fatso.