ESPN Hockey Analyst had to apologize for comments about the Devils Crack Den Arena

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
A hockey analyst for ESPN has apologized for describing the area around the new $375 million Prudential Center in Newark as "awful" and unsafe during a webcast last week.

Barry Melrose, the network's lead ice hockey analyst, angered city officials and the Devils owner by saying of the new arena, "It looks great on the inside but don't go outside, especially if you got a wallet or anything else because the area around the building is awful."

"It's so different the inside and the outside where its built, it's pretty humorous," said Melrose, a former NHL player and coach.

Those comments drew a rebuke today from Mayor Cory Booker, City Council President Mildred Crump, Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek and Newark police director Garry McCarthy.

Reached by telephone later in the day, Melrose offered the apology city officials wanted.

"I was trying to be funny. That's how I talk and use my humor for entertainment. It obviously didn't come across that way," Melrose said. "I certainly don't want to offend anyone."

Melrose said he called Booker to apologize and said he'd love to come visit the city.

"I don't think the area is unsafe. I would walk around downtown Newark anytime," he said. "I certainly never meant malice toward New Jersey or the New Jersey Devils."

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said the company considered the matter closed and that there likely won't be any disciplinary actions taken.

"He understand his words can have an impact. He is remorseful about that," said Krulewitz.

The 18,500-seat Prudential Center, which opened Oct. 25 with a concert by Jersey rocker Bon Jovi, is the center of an effort to revitalize downtown Newark.

"The biggest challenge that Newark has is not the reality, which is dynamic, it's the ignorance that individuals have about what's going on in Newark," Booker said while discussing Melrose's comments.

Police Director Garry McCarthy said not one visitor to the arena has been the victim of a crime.

"The security was so tight around the arena you would have thought George W. Bush was in town," said Crump, who called Melrose's comments "disgusting."

Vanderbeek offered to give Melrose a tour of the arena and the area around it.

"I think its an incredibly uneducated statement for someone who hasn't been here," said Vanderbeek. "It's like me saying I know what it's like to wear a mullet," Vanderbeek said of Melrose's trademark hairstyle.

$30,000.00 in Police Overtime for an event, it should be safe. Oh and because there is not a CO on the building yet, they take Fire Engines out of service to patrol the place

JC510

Mar 3, 2006
That area looks like 28 Days/Weeks Later meets The Wire. At the Broad Street train station I've seen people shooting heroin in the bathroom and one guy with bandages all over his face sat down next to me and said: "I could cut you but I'm just gonna ask for money instead of doing that." Eventually he just walked away though.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Those comments drew a rebuke today from Mayor Cory Booker, City Council President Mildred Crump, Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek and Newark police director Garry McCarthy.
What's the over/under on Mildred Crump's age? I say 77.5.

Barry was stupid for saying that before he actually visited the arena. We all know it's true, but he should have had some first-hand experience before sounding off.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
How do we know Melrose never visited Newark?

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
How do we know Melrose never visited Newark?
I think in his apology he said he based his comments on a story he saw on TSN and now that the mayor has invited him, he'll be making the trip.

Cromwell

Sep 28, 2004
Westbury, Long Island
While were at it - Al Trautpig should apologize to Rick DiPietro. Who bested the "great" rags goalie last night.

It was Trautie who went on record saying how much better "Hank" was.

Not last night, big boy.

DiPietro (America's finest) was huge.

LETS GO ISLANDERS!

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
While were at it - Al Trautpig should apologize to Rick DiPietro. Who bested the "great" rags goalie last night.

It was Trautie who went on record saying how much better "Hank" was.

Not last night, big boy.

LETS GO ISLANDERS!

Not every team can have 4 games in 3 weeks instead of 3 games in 4 days.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
goddamned shame he sucked a big black cock during the Olympics :icon_evil:

that's the only time I'll root for him to do well on the ice..for team USA

Cromwell

Sep 28, 2004
Westbury, Long Island
Not every team can have 4 games in 3 weeks instead of 3 games in 4 days.
Are you serious?!?

Nobody has complained more about this ridiculous hockey shedule than Islander fans.

I didn't hear any peep out of you (or anyone else) after the first time the Isles beat the rangers this season - then immediately had to get on a plane and fly to Toronto. They had played like 4 games that week. Of course it didn't turn out well.

Selective memory on your part.

Mod Edit : Jeez Croms.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Who cares, its hockey. I used to play 5 days a week but its just become so irrelevant anymore.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Crom, why is this shit in the Melrose thread?

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
Melrose rules, Newark blows, Crowmell's a clown, DiPi sucks.

Cromwell

Sep 28, 2004
Westbury, Long Island
Mod Edit : Jeez Croms.

oh, excuse me anonymous rags fan mod :rolleyes:

there's soooo much activity here - yes, we better stamp out this unnecessary posting immediately.

will there be continuous "melrose talk" here? ha, ha.

let it die on the vine, I don't care . . .

oh, yeah Faz - if your feathers are so ruffled

your entire team of rags suck big black moose cock.

ok?

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
oh, excuse me anonymous rags fan mod :rolleyes:

there's soooo much activity here - yes, we better stamp out this unnecessary posting immediately.

will there be continuous "melrose talk" here? ha, ha.

let it die on the vine, I don't care . . .
I think the point is that it's off the topic. There's a reason why threads have titles. So people can post on the topic of the thread. The Ranger bashing should be kept to the appropriate threads.

Cromwell

Sep 28, 2004
Westbury, Long Island
The ranger bashing should be kept to the appropriate threads.
fair enough. looking forward to feeding and growing the "rangers suck" topic.

Because that's the way some of their classess asshole fans want to play it.

By the way Hoagie - does this mean you are copping to the "mod edit"?

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
I've never been to the sun but I know it's hot and I doubt many people would argue with me over it and I certainly won't apologize about it.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I've been a Devils fan since 1988. I've never been to a game, and now I definately won't be going to one.

Cromwell

Sep 28, 2004
Westbury, Long Island
"The security was so tight around the arena you would have thought George W. Bush was in town," said Crump, who called Melrose's comments "disgusting."
"I think its an incredibly uneducated statement for someone who hasn't been here," said Vanderbeek. "It's like me saying I know what it's like to wear a mullet," Vanderbeek said of Melrose's trademark hairstyle.
Well, I went to "The Rock/Prudential Center" last night - and unlike that mullet-headed douchebag - I have true first hand experience from the place.

In short - it was an excellent experience. I only have some minor nit-picks, but overall it was decent, no-worry night out.

First off - getting there by car was a breeze. Simple and easy to navigate. Yeah - they ripped you off on parking - but tell me where they don't? Try parking around Madison Square Toilet. It will easily cost you more.

There were more cops and white people than a KKK convention. The only black people I saw were doing what they were supposed to - serving the white man :icon_mrgr

The arena itself is gorgeous. Here's some pictures:

Looking right at it from where I parked. I couldn't have been closer.

No one tried to "mug" me :rolleyes:

Great historical stuff about the Devils franchise inside. It truly is "the Devils building"

Plus they have a great hockey theme throughout. Jerseys of all the local college and hockey teams are on display. This is a real nice touch.

The various historical wall murals are extremely well done.

The only other minor negative I'd have to say about the place was (at least for this UFC event) that the ventilation and air distribution could be better in the upper levels, as well as the public address sound system.

One of the real nice touches of this venue was the fact that after you ordered your tickets - you got an email with links to the area - where to part info - and full directions.

Today I got a follow-up "thank you" email. When's the last time a venue did that?

On this thank you email is a link to provide feedback. I will definitely let them know about the air/sound issues.

In a nutshell, the place is great, and Barry Melrose is an asshole.