ESPN ranks the sports & Boxing is #1 & MMA #6

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

We sized them up. We measured them, top to bottom. We've done our own Tale of the Tape, and we've come to a surprising conclusion. Pound for pound, the toughest sport in the world is . . .

Boxing.

The Sweet Science.

That's the sport that demands the most from the athletes who compete in it. It's harder than football, harder than baseball, harder than basketball, harder than hockey or soccer or cycling or skiing or fishing or billiards or any other of the 60 sports we rated.

In Page 2's Ultimate Degree of Difficulty Grid, boxing scores higher than them all.

SPORTSNATION: DO YOU AGREE?
Vote: What's the toughest sport of all?

Debate sports' degree of difficulty with Page 2's writers and experts in The Show

Think boxing's not tough? Go toe-to-toe with former heavyweight champ Hasim Rahman in the SportsNation chat room.
But don't take our word for it. Take the word of our panel of experts, a group made up of sports scientists from the United States Olympic Committee, of academicians who study the science of muscles and movement, of a star two-sport athlete, and of journalists who spend their professional lives watching athletes succeed and fail.

They're the ones who told us that boxing is the most demanding sport -- and that fishing is the least demanding sport.

We identified 10 categories, or skills, that go into athleticism, and then asked our eight panelists to assign a number from 1 to 10 to the demands each sport makes of each of those 10 skills. By totalling and averaging their responses, we arrived at a degree-of-difficulty number for each sport on a 1 to 100 scale. That number places the difficulty of performing each sport in context with the other sports we rated.

On the grid below, click on each sortable category to find out how our 60 sports rank in each skill. A glossary key is included at the bottom of the grid that explains each category.

So put on the gloves, get in the ring and let the roundhouse hooks begin.

1. Boxing
  2. Ice Hockey
  3. Football
  4. Basketball
  5. Wrestling
  6. Martial Arts
  7. Tennis
  8. Gymnastics
  9. Baseball/Softball
  10. Soccer

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Well.... yeah. Don't most pro boxers start training at 3-4 years old? Shit has to be embedded in their life from practically birth.

In wrestling the top wrestlers I would wrestle were usually the ones that started at 5 and younger. You could see the growth in their conditioning and game of a lot of wrestlers year in and year out.

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
MMA is not number 6. Martial Arts is number 6.

Once again MMA is snubbed by ESPN.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I'm not sure what all goes in to Boxing or MMA, but based on their definition of "Tough", I'd put everything above MMA.
Tennis is hard as shit to be the best... Same with baseball and soccer.

Just as someone who sees MMA highlights online or on tv, I feel like someone like Kimbo Slice can go from beating up people in his backyard onto an MMA card.
Whereas if you're going to play on the Tennis tour, you've gotta be playing 5 hours a day at age 3

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
I'm not sure what all goes in to Boxing or MMA, but based on their definition of "Tough", I'd put everything above MMA.

Just as someone who sees MMA highlights online or on tv, I feel like someone like Kimbo Slice can go from beating up people in his backyard onto an MMA card.
Whereas if you're going to play on the Tennis tour, you've gotta be playing 5 hours a day at age 3
True. Someone with a year of training could get lucky and catch someone in a fight. you aren't going to beat a pro tennis player, not even a mediocre one, that fast.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ

Cannot argue that

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
X2 on boxing. A boxer will fuck up if they momentarily break from training during anytime between matches, even at the top of their game.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I would say cycling is the hardest to be champion in

have any of you ridden a bike since you got your license?

it ain't as easy as it was when you were a kid

must have gotten harder to peddle a bike ;)

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
I would say cycling is the hardest to be champion in

have any of you ridden a bike since you got your license?

it ain't as easy as it was when you were a kid

must have gotten harder to peddle a bike ;)

I think cycling you gain and lose the fastest.

I started riding about 3 years ago, it had been about 18 years since i'd rode. That first month I had to have a death grip on the handles and was lucky to go five miles. After that it was no hands not even to turn. After 2 months it was 20 miles 3 times a week.

Jacked up my knee, couldn't ride for 3 months, and it was like i'd never ridden a bike at all again. Couldn't even let go the handles to wave.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning."
George Carlin

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I'll go with cycling at nr. 1 by a landslide, then gymnastics, rowing, boxing, weightlifting, some forms of skiing, long distance running, triathlon and MMA as the toughest sports to practice professionally.

As for the toughest sport to become the best at, the ones with the most competitors are the toughest, obviously. So it's soccer at nr. 2, and the 100/200 meter dash at nr. 1. Sprinting isn't the most watched sport, but it's something pretty much every kid tries out, so it's pretty much guaranteed that anyone on Earth with real talent is going to compete for the nr 1 spot.

Soccer is nr. 2 because a majority of kids around the world also give it a shot early on. But not as many as sprinting.

UCJOE

Mar 7, 2009
NJ
what is with the use of "nr"?
"whaa"

:action-sm

fulldevilsoccer

Jul 2, 2009
I would have to say that boxing is up there with basketball and soccer. MMA is way down the list because it's a new sport. In 10 or 15 years MMA could be considered a competitive sport but right now it's one of the worst.

Hockey is just played in a few countries. I don't know what they're thinking?

swimming and cycling are white sports and middle class sports so they're no very competitive at all.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
I'd like to throw one out there... Skateboarding. It's a demanding sport that is tough as hell to get good at. Millions of kids can do a kickflip, but over a set of stairs is insane.