OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

ESPN suspends Bill Simmons from Twitter for 3 days

Discussion in 'Sports' started by luckie1710, Mar 14, 2013.

1. luckie1710

luckie1710 Registered User

2. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Whatever you do, do not criticize the ESPN.

Im a little surprised that the asshole Skip Bayless hasnt had some sort of gag order placed on him yet.

Neckbeard likes this.
  3. somnarium

somnarium deftones or somefuckin' body

First Take is the finest example of what ESPN is to journalism and sports. Complete mockery.

4. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

He's a dummy. If Louis CK tweeted that people shouldn't watch Game of Thrones (and meant it seriously like this jackass did), I would expect HBO to do more than tell him to stop tweeting for three days. Pick your battles, stupid.

5. luckie1710

I didnt take it that way. It's the old. If you dont like what Stern or O & A are saying. Change the damn station and dont listen to them. Dont just complain about it for the sake of complaining.

And Stern has bitched constantly about Leno. He still works for Americas Got Talent and didnt get suspended for it

6. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

As long as that dummy keeps bringing the right kind of buzz to the network, ESPN will keep letting him talk.

Speaking of which, I guess people calling them out on not giving credit to other news outlets who broke a story first finally got to them. Although they're kind of being passive aggressive about it when giving said credit.

This. Most companies frown upon their employees complaining about one of their products, services, etc.. via social media and he is lucky he doesn't work for one that has harsher penalties for doing so.

Although he is totally right about that Sherman/Bayless segment and First Take in general.

7. Steam

Steam Registered User

That's a lovely comparison you made. Too bad it doesn't really have anything to do with this story. Bill Simmons and the rest of the many competent people at ESPN are journalists and their reputation can get muddied by the absolute shit that ESPN airs on its networks in the morning/afternoon. If he wants to take a shot at something at the network he should have that right. He's the most influential sportswriter at the moment and has taken a few shots at ESPN and their programming over the years (mainly veiled ones suggesting that they deserve some of the criticism they get). What he said was truthful and its a shame that ESPN felt the need to defend that fucking blowhard Bayless but considering their track record it won't be surprising. We'll see what happens from here but trust me, if ESPN had to make a decision and lose Simmons or the assclowns on First Take it would be the assholes at First Take.

8. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Boo hoo, ESPN's butthurt. Put out a better product and
    you won't have to hear complaints.

9. Hog's Big Ben

Donator

I didn't say he doesn't have that right. I said he's a dummy for doing it. There are plenty of other people bitching about First Take. He doesn't need to toss his two cents onto the pile just for the sake of his integrity. He's not breaking any new journalistic ground here. Maybe he's heard of the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you". I'm sure half the people on any given network think half of the shows on that network suck. That doesn't mean they should publicly trash them.

But then again, Angus T. Jones. So what do I know? Give 'em hell, Bill!

10. Jambi

Jambi Infidel

If a Twitter suspension is a punishment then I must be in hell. I gave up on Twitter long ago. It's like being able to read minds, which is cool at first but then you're all like "goddamn I don't need to know everyfuckinbody's every last waking thought, make it stop!".....

11. Steam

Steam Registered User

A dummy for doing it? He got "suspended" from using his Twitter account for a few days. Big fucking deal. Yes, he did "need" to throw his two cents in. People from inside the company need to inform them how fucking awful First Take is. All of the heat shouldn't come from blogs and various sports media critics. He said his piece and that's that.

They can't do shit to him considering how much money he's brought in to that company.

12. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

I really assumed that something was up when he hadn't tweeted about Welker or anything else for the last few days, but was still using FB.
    When I read the comments when he originally posted, it seems really really really innocent. Still does.

ESPN comes off very turdy here.

He wasn't on NBA Countdown last night either which seemed strange at the time.

13. Hog's Big Ben

Donator

If he was such a great journalist, he would've tweeted that they told him to stay off Twitter. Instead he kowtowed to the man and let a blog spill the news, so apparently it was a "big fucking deal". I guess he was afraid they *would* "do shit to him".

See, I can do the quote thing, too :)

14. DanaReevesLungs

DanaReevesLungs I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
    Donator

I can't wait until FOX's all sports network is available and runs ESPN into the ground. Disney has completely fucked up what used to be a decent network. Now it's just PC assholery with "analysts" who over-analyze every aspect of the game. Just give me the fucking score and some highlights.

luckie1710 likes this.
  15. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

And cartoon robots and groundhogs. Even Fox has it's faults. But I hope they don't make the
    same mistake ESPN does of over scheduling everything. I hate tuning in for something and
    another event is still going on so my programming is delayed or shifted to another channel.

16. luckie1710

Your right. He should have tweeted that they told him to stay off the air. That would have made him a great journalist. And that wouldnt have gotten him suspended from the network again or anything. Put your 7 figure salary in jeopardy by tweeting it. That would show ESPN.

17. Hog's Big Ben

Donator

He wasn't told to stay off the air or even to stay offline. He's still going about his normal social networking life on Facebook, etc. He was told to stay off Twitter. Twitter is serious business!

18. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

It sure is. Just ask Opie.

19. luckie1710

Your right. My mistake. He should have tweeted that they told him to stay off twitter. That would have shown ESPN. As they would have suspended him again. Like they have done to him a few times. It's still the same concept. Sorry that I typed on air instead of twitter

20. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

As far as ESPN and Fox and NBC Sports, etc go, aren't the specialized networks essentially killing them all?
    I don't know what the ratings are, but MLB NET/NHL NET/NFL NET are all better at what they do than any of the stations doing everything.
    Pretty obvious statement, but it's true.

Like during the NFL Season, if I want NFL highlights or shows and news I turn on NFL Net.
    During MLB Season, all I watch is MLB Net. Everything they do is better than ESPN.

I literally haven't purposely watched a Sportscenter in probably 5 years. It's background TV or something to fall asleep to.
    I'll watch PTI and ATH, or actual sporting events, but that's all.

21. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

He does, stupid. No one can stop him. But they can stop giving him millions of dollars for it. ESPN is a business. Businesses want to make money, and paying someone for trashing you is not a good way to make money.

22. Steam

Steam Registered User

Is that how it works? Thanks for the information, champ.

You are right. They could stop paying him. Then what would happen? He'd go to one of the other sports networks and get even more money. That would show him.

And here I was wondering why I stopped posting on message boards.

luckie1710 likes this.
  23. luckie1710

Im going to talk in ratings talk here. Im not saying anything about the product

MLB Network had one of their highest ratings of the past few years on Sunday. Over 1.25 million tuned into the WBC game. First Take does better numbers then that on a daily basis.

The highest rated programs on the NFL Network have been the Thursday night games. That averaged over 6 million viewers a week. Their Sunday numbers are just ok.

I might be in the minority here. But I check online whenever I want to see highlights or news.

and FYI. Im not trying to bad mouth the mlb network. Since I love the network and have it on as background noise most of the time now

#23 luckie1710, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  24. luckie1710

Exactly. As long as Simmons didnt offend a group. He would get hired in a second.

SI had a list of the top 10 most powerful people in Sports media. Simmons was number 1. So im sure that he would be able to find a job fairly easily. Olberman found a job with how many companies. And he might go back to ESPN. And he is a million times more toxic then anyone in the business.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130306/most-powerful-people-sports-media/

25. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

That's not what happened. No one took away his phone, they just told him to shut the fuck up if he wants to work for ESPN, and he chose to shut the fuck up.

As for who has more to lose if ESPN and Bill Simmons part ways, I have a feeling it's not ESPN. They can just hire another tool to talk about sports and tow the company line. Bill Simmons might have trouble finding a company that doesn't mind him fucking with their bottom line.
    Wonder no more. It's because you're a sensitive little bitch.