Exhange Server Advice

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Im setting up Exchange server on a SBS 2003 server for a small 2 person office. Last time I've messed with server was NT with Exchange 5.5...so Im not too up on this stuff

Basically the customer keeps all their contacts and calendar in Outlook on 2 computers and want a way to share both of them. They were using a 3rd party add-on software that stop working. This guy wanted the best.

So thats why they have the 2003 server w/ Exchange installed on it (Dell PowerEdge 840) I didnt advise on the hardware, they bought it beforehand.

They do not use email on this server, so what I did was set up a 3 Public folders - Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks.

I can log into the exchange server via Outlook 2003 and view the public folders, manage contacts, calendar, etc...

The problem is....

On XP machines the info takes 10-15 seconds to update to the client computers.

On 2k machines it updates instantly, noticed this because I had a computer laying around that was 2k. I even took XP off my machine, loaded 2k on it, and it was instant update.

But the customer has XP machines.

So my question:

1. Is this the best way to do this - to put them in public folders?
2. Anybody know why XP takes longer to upate but 2k doesnt?

Thanks for any help.

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ
are they using outlook 2003? make sure you take off exchange cache mode off of the outlook clients. Their local OST files can be huge and it will take a bit for the client to download the changes off of Exchange and stuff it into the ost file.