External hard drive help

kidohio

anybody know a good external hard drive to get for a notebook pc? plus, about how many terabytes are in a gigabyte?

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
any western digital one will do.

newegg.com is who i got my passport 250 gig from. that HD ended up in my PS3

krap

complete tool
There is 0 terabytes in a gigabyte. 1000GB = 1TB

i got 4 external HDs - all western digital - never had a problem. got a 320, 120, 250 and a 1tb.

just goto newegg and sort by best rating

Tho when u get a 1TB its not 1TB when you plug it in. It will be about 750MB. and its 1024GB = 1TB

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
If you want to carry it with you, make sure you get a 2.5" hard drive based external, like the WD Passorts. These are powered by their USB connection to the computer and do not require an external power supply.

to give you an idea on size - this is my 1tb drive - have around 930gb actual - a good bit more than the 750 someone said. here is what i got on it right now:

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Tho when u get a 1TB its not 1TB when you plug it in. It will be about 750MB. and its 1024GB = 1TB
Thanks for correcting the 1TB issue, its a common fuckup. Measurements of capacity in PCs are square multiples...2,4,8,16,32,64,etc or combinations thereof.

When a hard drive is formatted, it loses between 7 and 9 percent of its capacity to its file allocation tables. That space is solely reserved for the FAT (what tells the OS where everything is).

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
As long as it's not a Maxtor....

And, I second the suggestion - get a 2.5" form-factor unit, you'll be glad you did.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
I'm a big Seagate fan. Their drives usually run cooler and less noisy if that would be an issue for you.

Also, look for a drive that comes with decent backup software, if that's what you're using it for. If you're using it as a media device, consider upping the cluster size up from the default 4k when formatting.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
As long as it's not a Maxtor....

And, I second the suggestion - get a 2.5" form-factor unit, you'll be glad you did.
i couldn't agree with you more.....fucking maxtors suck dick, they are destined to fail and it always seems to happen at the worst time.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
i couldn't agree with you more.....fucking maxtors suck dick, they are destined to fail and it always seems to happen at the worst time.
I had said that for YEARS, but my last few Maxtors have run smoothly for a couple of years now. I even picked up a couple more 200GB'ers on black friday and those are running great too.

For 2.5", I would go Seagate. I don't have firsthand knowledge of Maxtor 2.5" quality, and I had a WD die on me not too long ago, so Seagate would be my choice.

If you want to carry it with you, make sure you get a 2.5" hard drive based external, like the WD Passorts. These are powered by their USB connection to the computer and do not require an external power supply.
Not strictly true.

The newer 9.5mm thick 2.5" drives are usually less power consuming than 12.5mm and certainly 17mm (which often need a second usb connection, or a AC adapter), but sometimes usb ports on a laptop don't have enough amperage or only have one with enough juice to run an external HD on a single connection. If you have a laptop with a low wattage adapter, or worse, you're running on batteries, an external HD could potentially be a problem without external power. Luckily most brands (and enclosures) have an AC jack. I wouldn't get one that didn't. Just in case.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I'm a big Seagate fan. Their drives usually run cooler and less noisy if that would be an issue for you.

Also, look for a drive that comes with decent backup software, if that's what you're using it for. If you're using it as a media device, consider upping the cluster size up from the default 4k when formatting.
I had said that for YEARS, but my last few Maxtors have run smoothly for a couple of years now. I even picked up a couple more 200GB'ers on black friday and those are running great too.

For 2.5", I would go Seagate. I don't have firsthand knowledge of Maxtor 2.5" quality, and I had a WD die on me not too long ago, so Seagate would be my choice.

Not strictly true.

The newer 9.5mm thick 2.5" drives are usually less power consuming than 12.5mm and certainly 17mm (which often need a second usb connection, or a AC adapter), but sometimes usb ports on a laptop don't have enough amperage or only have one with enough juice to run an external HD on a single connection. If you have a laptop with a low wattage adapter, or worse, you're running on batteries, an external HD could potentially be a problem without external power. Luckily most brands (and enclosures) have an AC jack. I wouldn't get one that didn't. Just in case.

FYI... Maxtor was bought by Seagate a few years ago. They are still maintaining both distinct product lines. They're still selling Maxtor drives as the lower-end product - on retail shelves at Best Buy, Circuit City, the office superstores, etc, etc. The actual Seagate drives are good, pretty much always have been.

Personally, I am a fan of IBM (now Hitachi) and WD - in that order.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Oh yes, Hitachi FTW, but those have been out of my price range for a few years now. I haven't bought one since 20GB was considered a large laptop drive capacity. :)
On Newegg, Hitachi averages only $5-$10 more than WD or Seagate for same size drives. In some cases, Seagate costs more.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
FYI... Maxtor was bought by Seagate a few years ago. They are still maintaining both distinct product lines. They're still selling Maxtor drives as the lower-end product - on retail shelves at Best Buy, Circuit City, the office superstores, etc, etc. The actual Seagate drives are good, pretty much always have been.

Personally, I am a fan of IBM (now Hitachi) and WD - in that order.
i just looked at the HD that came in my PS3 and it is a seagate momentus 5400 60 gig. i've been trying to find a way to look at the files and directories on my PC but i have yet to find something. (totally off topic but hey, it is a seagate 2.5" HD :action-sm)

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff