[Problem] External hard drive shit the bed

mascan42

So I have the hard drive out being repaired. My guess is there was some sort of minor internal damage like the actuator arm became dislodged. So hopefully I'll have my data back soon.

But now I turn to the replacement. Like I said, I'm looking to upgrade to a NAS, but I need some advice as to the number of bays and type of drive.

I've never used more than 2TB on the external drive, so I don't see me ever needing more than a 2x4TB NAS. But to keep flexibility for the future, I was wondering about getting a 4-bay Synology NAS but only having 2 bays occupied for now. Will that work?

Also, what's the best brand of drive for NAS usage? I was looking at a Seagate Ironwolf drive, but then this thread reminded me of Seagate's reputation and was wondering what the stats for reliability are like these days?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
So I have the hard drive out being repaired. My guess is there was some sort of minor internal damage like the actuator arm became dislodged. So hopefully I'll have my data back soon.

But now I turn to the replacement. Like I said, I'm looking to upgrade to a NAS, but I need some advice as to the number of bays and type of drive.

I've never used more than 2TB on the external drive, so I don't see me ever needing more than a 2x4TB NAS. But to keep flexibility for the future, I was wondering about getting a 4-bay Synology NAS but only having 2 bays occupied for now. Will that work?

Also, what's the best brand of drive for NAS usage? I was looking at a Seagate Ironwolf drive, but then this thread reminded me of Seagate's reputation and was wondering what the stats for reliability are like these days?
No Seagate. WD or HGSt(still WD)

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff

I use WD Red drives (4x4TB) in my Synology NAS. I had one throw some errors during the scheduled testing, so I did the advance RMA with WD and they shipped me a new drive, then I sent back the old one.

You can run two drives just fine in a 4-bay Synology. Down the road you can add the other drives and expand the volume, or create a second volume. However, once you have it in place I think you'll find that you will utilize it more than you did the external single drive. I have all of my devices backed up to it and two security cameras record to it. The Synology will come with two camera licenses, so you can get any IP cameras (I have a pair of Amcrests) and set them up to record using Surveillance Station.

I am currently using 3.46TB out of the total 10.9TB. It fluctuates up or down depending on incremental vs full backups and such. I have the backups set up to run an incremental backup 3X and after that a full to replace the collection of incrementals.

mascan42

I use WD Red drives (4x4TB) in my Synology NAS. I had one throw some errors during the scheduled testing, so I did the advance RMA with WD and they shipped me a new drive, then I sent back the old one.
The return and recovery service only included with the WD Red Pro drives, correct?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
The return and recovery service only included with the WD Red Pro drives, correct?
I do not have Red Pros. I went with the standard Red drives.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk