Facebook Logged In From India?

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I rarely use FB, I only use it to look at random people's photos or creepily look at stuff.
Anyway, I just got an email that said my account was logged into from a "Unrecognized location", and it was locked.

I went through the process, put in a new password, and verified that it wasn't me logging in from the "Unrecognized location".
It was somewhere in India...

Has this happened to anyone?
I don't care about FB, but would you be concerned if you use that same password for other sites or emails, etc?

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I don't know...
Nothing that requires a password.

I really only use this password for my email and random internet forums and stuff.
So I changed my Gmail password, and a few of my forum passwords that I can think of.
Like Saltwater Fish sites, shit like that. Stuff that's no big deal.

I guess I'm just wondering how someone would access the password or whatever. Or why someone would want FB access

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Your computer has the AIDS. Time to trash the HD, throw it in a river, and burn your house down.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I don't know...
Nothing that requires a password.

I really only use this password for my email and random internet forums and stuff.
So I changed my Gmail password, and a few of my forum passwords that I can think of.
Like Saltwater Fish sites, shit like that. Stuff that's no big deal.

I guess I'm just wondering how someone would access the password or whatever. Or why someone would want FB access
I'm no expert...but access to your Facebook info...I bet a scam artist/hacker/identity thief can do a bunch of stuff.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Well nothing was changed, and I have nothing happening on my FB.
I have like 7 friends...

I changed the password. I guess who cares.
Probably some scam or con like you said

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Was your password "comic630"?

lib lob

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Maybe it's one of those things where they'd send stuff out as me, like "Happy Easter, check out this video" and then it's a virus or something.
Just creeped me out

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
It could be a lot of things. Stop using the password, and stop using the e-mail account you signed up with.

If you're using a PC, scan it for malware and install a firewall. You should be doing that anyway, but in case you're not, it's time.

I guess I'm just wondering how someone would access the password or whatever.
Few options: hacked some site you used it on, that has bad security; there's malware on a device you logged in from, that logs passwords automatically; you used the password on a malicious site.

You should use three different passwords, with three different email accounts: one for personal accounts, one for work related accounts, and a third one for everything you don't care about. Whenever you're not on a reputable site, just use the third one. Never log in with the first two from computers you're not sure are clean.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I have six passwords that I use for various "levels" of accounts.

Yeah, I'm kind of paranoid.

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613

I just "hacked" your accounts. It wasn't even that hard.

1. evanwilliams
2. jimbeam
3. jackdaniels
4. bushmills
5. kilbeggan
6. glenlivet

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey

I have 4 main passwords with variations out my own ass. Shortest is 5 characters, longest is upwards of 15 or 16.

It gets a bit confusing and leads to a fuckton of resets. Guess it keeps me a bit safer though.

Oh, and dont take part in those stupid "personality surveys" or whatever they call it. They list a ton of questions about you and your past and often then have security questions peppered throughout. People scam password resets with that shit.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I just "hacked" your accounts. It wasn't even that hard.

1. evanwilliams
2. jimbeam
3. jackdaniels
4. bushmills
5. kilbeggan
6. glenlivet
Shit, I just changed them. No one will guess:

level1pw
level2pw
level3pw

I have 4 main passwords with variations out my own ass. Shortest is 5 characters, longest is upwards of 15 or 16.

It gets a bit confusing and leads to a fuckton of resets. Guess it keeps me a bit safer though.

Oh, and dont take part in those stupid "personality surveys" or whatever they call it. They list a ton of questions about you and your past and often then have security questions peppered throughout. People scam password resets with that shit.
I have an Access database (Excel works also) with a list of my accounts and the password number (like pw#2), as well as the email address associated with that account so I know where to look when they send a reset link. Then I just keep all the passwords that correspond with those numbers in a notebook in my safe.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
L3g3nd$O'The4s

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
My Facebook account has zero personal info on it, just a pic of my face. Someone created a new account with my name and used that single avatar pic to friend all my friends and family. They just assumed I created a new account or lost friends from a facebook screwup, something that happens all the time. I was lucky that he was only on for a few hours and only managed to message 2-3 of my friends before I shut his ass down. Filled out and online form and it only took ten seconds for the account to become inactive. I have two part verification on my password reset so they're not going to steal my account, but as in my case, they can steal your identity in other ways.