Fallout 76

Mags

Edgelord
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Very in depth look.

He got tantalizingly close to spilling details on Starfield.

Side note: noclip is so great.
Having played Galaxies and Diablo online I can see this maybe being fun but eh, I’ll keep an eye on it.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Having played Galaxies and Diablo online I can see this maybe being fun but eh, I’ll keep an eye on it.
I was afraid this was a slapped together money grab, but it's obvious they have a lot of passion for it.

Mags

Edgelord
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
I was afraid this was a slapped together money grab, but it's obvious they have a lot of passion for it.
I have no doubt they really want this to succeeed and they do have a passion for it. What will kill it for me is how it’s executed. Also, these persistent world games go through a lot of changes over time which can sometimes break the fun for some people. You make a strong build character and a patch breaks it, type of thing.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I have no doubt they really want this to succeeed and they do have a passion for it. What will kill it for me is how it’s executed. Also, these persistent world games go through a lot of changes over time which can sometimes break the fun for some people. You make a strong build character and a patch breaks it, type of thing.
I do like them talking in the video about thier desire to change things based on feedback. Going into an online game with the expectation of being fallible is a good first step.

It's also clear they are acutely aware of the potential for griefing.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I'm just afraid that they will abandon a single player solo focucsed RPG. I don't want the series to go the way of The Old Republic.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I'm just afraid that they will abandon a single player solo focucsed RPG. I don't want the series to go the way of The Old Republic.
Todd Howard has stressed several times that Starfield is single player.

Think of 76 as an in-house New Vegas. They farmed it out to their new studio. The main team started working on Starfield as soon as FO4 wrapped. He even said they needed something to bridge the gap.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Todd Howard has stressed several times that Starfield is single player.

Think of 76 as an in-house New Vegas. They farmed it out to their new studio. The main team started working on Starfield as soon as FO4 wrapped.
I meant Fallout. I don't want them to abandon the single player fallout games.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I meant Fallout. I don't want them to abandon the single player fallout games.
I doubt that'll be an issue, just don't expect the next one until 2027.

Mags

Edgelord
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Starfield might not even release in 2019.

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-bethesda-pc-rpg/

I’m thinking if you want Fallout 76 to give the single player experience of previous titles, you may be somewhat underwhelmed. They are clearly focusing on the MP aspect and that’s gonna take most of their resources.

If it’s a success the game will be supported for years as it evolves.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-bethesda-pc-rpg/

I’m thinking if you want Fallout 76 to give the single player experience of previous titles, you may be somewhat underwhelmed. They are clearly focusing on the MP aspect and that’s gonna take most of their resources.

If it’s a success the game will be supported for years as it evolves.
And if its a success you'll probably not see a regular Fallout game for some time. I used to like playing Wacraft the RTS, but that hasn't been touched in over a decade because of WOW's handling of all the lore.

Mags

Edgelord
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
And if its a success you'll probably not see a regular Fallout game for some time. .
If ever again, I’m thinking. Micro transactions are too lucrative for developers to ignore.

Dec 12, 2007
If ever again, I’m thinking. Micro transactions are too lucrative for developers to ignore.
You'll get another Fallout in about 7-8 years maybe. First Starfield and then Elderscrolls and then Fallout. They won't just give up on the single-player version.

Mags

Edgelord
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
You'll get another Fallout in about 7-8 years maybe. First Starfield and then Elderscrolls and then Fallout. They won't just give up on the single-player version.
If 76 succeeds I really doubt they’ll do a pure single player Fallout again.

Maybe a smaller, “fill the gap” SP Fallout but nothing full sized.

Dec 12, 2007
Yeah no idea. Once I see more of the mechanics of gameplay I’ll decide.

2 of my staple games are on the outs. This one and Battlefield: SJW
9 times out of 10 an MMO style game falls flat on its ass. The number gets even higher when you take games that went from single player to MMO.

Still, even if its a HUGE success. They would still make single player Fallout because this game isn't really Bethesda Fallout. The people who are making Starfield are the real Bethesda guys. The people making this are from other studios they bought up in Texas and Canada.

Still, a new fallout is at least 7 years down the road, why worry now?

Mags

Edgelord
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
9 times out of 10 an MMO style game falls flat on its ass. The number gets even higher when you take games that went from single player to MMO.

Still, even if its a HUGE success. They would still make single player Fallout because this game isn't really Bethesda Fallout. The people who are making Starfield are the real Bethesda guys. The people making this are from other studios they bought up in Texas and Canada.

Still, a new fallout is at least 7 years down the road, why worry now?
Not worried, bummed. If I don’t want 76 I don’t know what I’ll be playing for a while. All the games I want are about a year or more out.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Not a chance. It's going to be next gen and at least 2020. May be setting up an interesting battle with cyberpunk.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Good news, guys. The beta will be available to everyone. You just have to preorder.