Fallout 76

But this is Bethesda. Huge company. Beloved company. Beloved brand. To gamble away your good will on this - I don't get it. Why take the risk?
This is Bethesda's Texas branch. Bethesda Maryland is where the big boys are.

Fallout 4 made A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY, more money than any game they ever made on past games, and Bethesda for years now has coasted on a, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. They find something that works, and they milk it until its dead, revive it, and then milk it some more. Fallout 76 is their single player Fallout 4 game with a multiplayer mod slapped onto it. Literally, the same code found in the game for its giant flying bats is the same code used in Skyrim from 2011 where you fought dragons.

So in short, it was the lure of having money to burn/make. It was also the first time that Fallout 4 money gave them the resources to make all these games as once. Maryland is making their single player games while Texas takes their old shit, slaps band-aids on it and calls it a game.

Now I do think F76 has some potential down the road if Bethesda doesn't just shelf the whole thing in embarrassment. I am enjoying it because I enjoy survival games. If Bethesda can No Man's Sky this game into a good thing remains to be seen though.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I've been following the Fallout 76 saga and I have a really stupid question (as someone not in the video game world) - how does something like this happen? I get all the standard answers about profits and deadlines and stuff like that, but really, how does something as universally reviled and buggy and flat out wrong like this game happen - especially in a field that is so Internet/word of mouth heavy?

The worst that can happen with a movie is a Justice League and for all its flaws, that's a complete movie. 2 hours, and I'm done. It doesn't fuck you over in the way video games will fuck you over financially and time-wise with uncompleted games. From what I've read, Fallout 76 seems to crash constantly, doesn't fix bugs from 3 years ago, is very user unfriendly, and there's nothing to do for a long period of time. How did they think this would go over? How did they not expect this response? Were they delusional, lying or just didn't care?

I understand the deadline thing, but games have been pushed forward before. Sometimes for years. I think people are more okay with that now, or am I misreading that?

The nylon bag thing. Did they not think people would find out that that was only given to influencers?

What makes this particularly strange to me is I know the Fallout is really respected. I get that No Man's Sky was a small team whose product was built up beyond their capabilities. But this is Bethesda. Huge company. Beloved company. Beloved brand. To gamble away your good will on this - I don't get it. Why take the risk?

But they are banning people who make homophobic remarks. So priorities!
It's not even in the same place as NMS at the time. After a couple growing pains patches, the engine for NMS was rock solid. The game played extremely well, it just had nothing to do.

Bethesda's engine is fucking broken. It's a relic. When they first made it, it was state of the art. They were doing tons of things no one else had attempted before.

But, since then, other games have found far more efficient ways to code the same thing. And, instead of creating a new or updated engine to take advantage of everything the industry has learned, they keep shoving new shit into the same broken code.

That why even the hard core fans, like myself, are jumping ship. This shit isn't acceptable anymore.

Yeah, I get it, second studio, not a mainline release, lots of room for improvement, yadda yadda yadda. I don't give a fuck. No patch is going to fix this. No content drop is going to make up for the game running like it's on the 360.

And those 500 atoms are about five bucks. There are, literally, only two things in the store you can buy for that price. To buy anything of merit you have to buy more atoms.

Bethesda had an opportunity to gain some positive PR with the Canvas bag thing. If they would have come out and said "yeah, we fucked up. Here is $50 of in-game credit to anyone who bought that version" and that would have cost them zero dollars for a fuck ton of good will.

Hell, the game is in such fucked up condition that they should have dropped 2000 atoms into EVERYONE's account as an "I'm sorry". If, for no other reason, to get people to jump into the game long enough to collect.

Even worse some of the things they are selling in the store were in FO4 FOR FREE. It's not even a new version of the outfits. They just dropped the old assets into the new game and charged people for it. The carried over outfits are even a lower resolution than the rest of the game.

Thank the Noodley One for developers like CD Project Red. Between this and the horrendous fucking RDR2 online economy, the lure of the microtransaction and "games as a service" is fucking ruining everything.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
It's not even in the same place as NMS at the time. After a couple growing pains patches, the engine for NMS was rock solid. The game played extremely well, it just had nothing to do.

Bethesda's engine is fucking broken. It's a relic. When they first made it, it was state of the art. They were doing tons of things no one else had attempted before.

But, since then, other games have found far more efficient ways to code the same thing. And, instead of creating a new or updated engine to take advantage of everything the industry has learned, they keep shoving new shit into the same broken code.

That why even the hard core fans, like myself, are jumping ship. This shit isn't acceptable anymore.

Yeah, I get it, second studio, not a mainline release, lots of room for improvement, yadda yadda yadda. I don't give a fuck. No patch is going to fix this. No content drop is going to make up for the game running like it's on the 360.

And those 500 atoms are about five bucks. There are, literally, only two things in the store you can buy for that price. To buy anything of merit you have to buy more atoms.

Bethesda had an opportunity to gain some positive PR with the Canvas bag thing. If they would have come out and said "yeah, we fucked up. Here is $50 of in-game credit to anyone who bought that version" and that would have cost them zero dollars for a fuck ton of good will.

Hell, the game is in such fucked up condition that they should have dropped 2000 atoms into EVERYONE's account as an "I'm sorry". If, for no other reason, to get people to jump into the game long enough to collect.

Even worse some of the things they are selling in the store were in FO4 FOR FREE. It's not even a new version of the outfits. They just dropped the old assets into the new game and charged people for it. The carried over outfits are even a lower resolution than the rest of the game.

Thank the Noodley One for developers like CD Project Red. Between this and the horrendous fucking RDR2 online economy, the lure of the microtransaction and "games as a service" is fucking ruining everything.
You’re simply mad the game was never gonna be the single player game you so badly wanted, Fallout 5. You were never gonna like this spinoff, even if it got stellar reviews. By you’re own admission, you barely played it, I’m thinking maybe not at all.

This list reads like talking points from every Fallout 5 craving hater on YouTube. They are still mad singleplayer isn’t in this iteration.

You don’t have to buy Atoms, ever. You can earn them in game. They’re only for cosmetic stuff anyway.

You don’t have to buy Atoms, ever. Ever.

To say this game isn’t better than NMS when it came out is being dishonest. Even Youtubers are being called out for saying this.

The second patch is out tomorrrow, then a 3rd in a week.

I was gonna repeat my mantra of “don’t worry, Fallout 5 will be out in an estimated 9-10years”, but it may not come out at all.

Many of the Fallout 5 crybabies think trashing F76 will make F5 come out sooner, but that will likely have the opposite effect.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
You’re simply mad the game was never gonna be the single player game you so badly wanted, Fallout 5. You were never gonna like this spinoff, even if it got stellar reviews. By you’re own admission, you barely played it, I’m thinking maybe not at all.

This list reads like talking points from every Fallout 5 craving hater on YouTube. They are still mad singleplayer isn’t in this iteration.

You don’t have to buy Atoms, ever. You can earn them in game. They’re only for cosmetic stuff anyway.

To say this game isn’t better than NMS when it came out is being dishonest. Even Youtubers are being called out for saying this.

I was gonna repeat my mantra of “don’t worry, Fallout 5 will be out in an estimated 9-10years”, but it may not come out at all.

Many of the Fallout 5 crybabies think trashing F76 will make F5 come out sooner, but that will likely have the opposite effect.
So close. You needed to call @BIV homosexual in order to perfect this argument style.

BIV

You are insanely off base

No, it is, in no way, better off technically than NMS was. Even if it was the same, Bethesda is a Triple-A studio, NMS was a nine man team.

There were enemies fucking T-posing. T-POSING, in a Triple-A title. Metal Gear Survive had better animations and AI.

Who gives a shit if buying Atoms is mandatory or not? They are charging $12 for reused skins and didn't even bother to improve the resolution.

And that really doesn't excuse them giving $5 of worthless Atoms to make up for a promised $30-$40 item.

I have no problem with it being online. I'm a die hard Division fan and one of my favorite games of the year is Monster Hunter. I also played the shit out of FF Online....All of which is equally entertaining to solo.

But taking an engine and code that was on it's last legs to begin with, then just slapping multiplayer into it without even fixing the bugs that modders fixed TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO is not acceptable.

I'm not worried about FO5. Fallout has always been stop-gap between Elder Scrolls games anyway. But if this is the same engine they are going to use for Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls, they are going to be unplayable messes.

I'm glad you have so much confidence in those patches.

Anyone who says this game is anything other than a dumpster fire is in a serious state of denial.

"But it's fun when you play with friends." Great. Guess what, Tic-Tac-Toe is fun when you play with friends, that doesn't make it a good game. And it just re-enforces the point. If you have to play it in a group for it to be fun, it wasn't fun to begin with.

If they fix all the technical flaws, fill the game with a vibrant world of NPC's and quests and change the main quest so you actually have some agency in your choices, I will be thrilled to be wrong and jump in.

Good luck with that. I'll be shocked if the servers are still up by E3.

Bobobie

You hear about people spending 20K on virtual shit all the time. These are the actual targets for these Bethesda Bucks. They are not going to make any more than 60 bucks off of 90 percent of the players. They know there will always be number of compulsive people, addictive personalities, who they will make most of their money from. It's why every major company is looking for a way to add it to their revenue stream. This makes them corporate scumbags, in my opinion.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
You are insanely off base

No, it is, in no way, better off technically than NMS was. Even if it was the same, Bethesda is a Triple-A studio, NMS was a nine man team.

There were enemies fucking T-posing. T-POSING, in a Triple-A title. Metal Gear Survive had better animations and AI.

Who gives a shit if buying Atoms is mandatory or not? They are charging $12 for reused skins and didn't even bother to improve the resolution.

And that really doesn't excuse them giving $5 of worthless Atoms to make up for a promised $30-$40 item.

I have no problem with it being online. I'm a die hard Division fan and one of my favorite games of the year is Monster Hunter. I also played the shit out of FF Online....All of which is equally entertaining to solo.

But taking an engine and code that was on it's last legs to begin with, then just slapping multiplayer into it without even fixing the bugs that modders fixed TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO is not acceptable.

I'm not worried about FO5. Fallout has always been stop-gap between Elder Scrolls games anyway. But if this is the same engine they are going to use for Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls, they are going to be unplayable messes.

I'm glad you have so much confidence in those patches.

Anyone who says this game is anything other than a dumpster fire is in a serious state of denial.

"But it's fun when you play with friends." Great. Guess what, Tic-Tac-Toe is fun when you play with friends, that doesn't make it a good game. And it just re-enforces the point. If you have to play it in a group for it to be fun, it wasn't fun to begin with.

If they fix all the technical flaws, fill the game with a vibrant world of NPC's and quests and change the main quest so you actually have some agency in your choices, I will be thrilled to be wrong and jump in.

Good luck with that. I'll be shocked if the servers are still up by E3.
Tic tac toe is NOT fun, even with friends.

Chickens, however...

BIV

Didn't you say you never finished Witcher 3? I remember this bugging me a while back.
Not for lack of trying. I put about 50 hours in before another game diverted me. I tried to go back, but I would have had to start over.

So... Nuked anyone?
I cleared the bunker solo, did the event, got to the console aaaaaannnndddd.... I didn't know the nuke code.

I fought the scorchbeast queen one time though. I was the only high lvl so we couldn't do shit for damage.