Family Guy: The Movie?

Carl Spackler

You want me to kill all the Golfers?
Oct 29, 2004
Bushwood Country Club
If they did it.. I would hope it would be rated R...

Family Guy's Big-Screen Dreams
by Josh Grossberg
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 02:49:58 PM PDT

Stewie may have to put world domination on hold to get ready for his close-up.

With fellow Fox Sunday night cartoon fixture The Simpsons ready to make its feature film debut this week, the brain trust behind Family Guy says the Griffin clan could be next.

In a sit-down with the Hollywood Reporter, show creator Seth MacFarlane said that he and the rest of the show's producers have begun floating the idea of a big-screen take on Machiavellian tot Stewie, bumbling patriarch Peter, gin-swilling dog Brian and the rest of the crew.

However, MacFarlane cautioned that such a project has several hurdles to clear, especially given the arduous production schedule for the show.

"We have been trying to figure out how to do that and the series at the same time without the series suffering," he told the Reporter while in Montreal, where he and his fellow cast members are doing live Family Guy readings at the Just for Laughs comedy festival.

MacFarlane noted that a similar dilemma faced The Simpsons masterminds, who waited 18 years before finally making the movie, which unspools this Friday.

Fox has yet to greenlight to a Family Guy project, most likely waiting and seeing how much dough (d'oh?) The Simpsons Movie rakes in. Even if the network and movie studio sign off, MacFarlane said it would probably take a few years before a Family Guy flick could be finished.

He added that the movie would likely take a different tact than the usual TV-to-movie cartoon adaptations.

"I don't want to do 'The Griffins must save the world,'" he said, declining to say whether he had any specific story lines in the works.

MacFarlane, the principal writer on the irreverent Emmy-winning 'toon and voice of many of its characters including Peter, Stewie and Brian, has technically already overseen a Family Guy film.

Clocking in at 88 minutes, Family Guy Presents: Stewie Griffin–The Untold Story dealt with Stewie's near-death experience and was released exclusively to DVD in 2005. The feature-lengthy production cashed in on the show's huge popularity among DVD enthusiasts, which helped lead to Fox resurrecting the 'toon in the first place in 2004, two years after initially canceling it.

Besides Family Guy, MacFarlane is creator and executive producer of Fox's animated comedy American Dad, which was just renewed for a fourth season, and The Winner. The latter, a flesh-and-blood sitcom starring former Daily Show correspondent Rob Corddry, was yanked from prime time after six low-rated episodes this season. However, MacFarlane says that Fox might still bring The Winner back. There was no comment from the network.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I would love to see that movie.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
um wasnt there already a "MOVIE" now they want to rip off the Simpsons AGAIN

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I don't know if any of these will live up to the Southpark movie.
I hope so but I doubt it. That one is a classic.

tourettesguy

Certified Labia Inspector
Oct 4, 2005
Akron, OH
This movie reminds me of the time I (insert action here) with (insert 80's pop-culture reference here).

It would be about as entertaining as Epic Movie.

Or Date Movie.

Or Not Another Teen Movie.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Why do Family Guy haters have to post in Family Guy threads? You people make me want to hate South Park and The Simpsons.

Family Guy is the funniest thing on tv, plain and simple .The Simpsons have been played out for years now, and South Park is past it's prime. Get over it.

Here is a little equation to help you all understand.

Simpsons/South Park = Howard Stern (was around first, now is just stale bread)
Family Guy = O&A (funnier and fresher)

And as for that whole Cartoon Wars South Park did, they are just jealous because there was a time when the internet was abuzz with South Park clips and now it's all about Family Guy.

And that argument that Family Guy is just pop culture references is ridiculous.
Did you ever watch an episode? Or are you just "ripping off" Trey and Matt's opinion?

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
Why do Family Guy haters have to post in Family Guy threads? You people make me want to hate South Park and The Simpsons.

Family Guy is the funniest thing on tv, plain and simple .The Simpsons have been played out for years now, and South Park is past it's prime. Get over it.

Here is a little equation to help you all understand.

Simpsons/South Park = Howard Stern (was around first, now is just stale bread)
Family Guy = O&A (funnier and fresher)

And as for that whole Cartoon Wars South Park did, they are just jealous because there was a time when the internet was abuzz with South Park clips and now it's all about Family Guy.

And that argument that Family Guy is just pop culture references is ridiculous.
Did you ever watch an episode? Or are you just "ripping off" Trey and Matt's opinion?

I agree with all of this, although I like all 3 shows. I can understand the Simpsons trashing Family Guy, but I'm not sure why Trey and Matt shit on them other than the fact they felt threatened by them.

And was that a King of the Hill fan knocking Family Guy?? Ok.... terrific!