Famous local foods

Suicidebree

Two, Zero, Two Infantry
Dec 20, 2004
Jersey
So last year I drove Across the country for vacation but in each place we stopped we tried to eat either the famous local food or from a famous local place. Being from Jersey we knew there were things we could only get here but here are the foods from Jersey as well as some of the ones we hit along the way. What are some foods from Jersey I don't know about or ones from where you are from?

Jersey:
"Grease truck sandwiches" - Rutgers based trucks that make sandwiches that have chicken fingers, fries, cheese steaks, mozzarella sticks and red sauce on them. You can basically get whatever you want on them all mixed together.

White castle: Know they are in like ten states but people not from Jersey don't tend to know them

Jersey dogs: Fries and a cut up hot dog inside a hollowed roll

Philadelphia:
"Pat's King of Steaks" Obviously just the best cheese steak anywhere.

Philly pretzels

Maryland:
soft crab cake sandwich

Memphis: Rendezvous Ribs. Best dry rub ribs ever

Florida: Aripas corn cakes with Mexican white cheese inside

Cuban sandwich

New Orleans: Alligator Po boy's

California:
Pyzanos pizza - insanely weird pizzas

In and out burger

Oregon:
voodoo donuts - all kinds of donuts include jay Mohr nyquill donut

Wisconsin: Fried cheese curds

Omaha: Steaks

Kansas City: BBQ

Chicago:
Giordanos stuffed deep dish pizza

chicago hot dog

Cleveland:That pasta chili and cheese dish

Pittsburgh: Primanti brothers and The O
Primanti is sandwiches with fries Cole slaw and thick bread

The O is just massive hot dogs

Also just outside of Pittsburgh is the beer barrel pub which makes worlds largest burger

Massachusetts: Clam Chowder

New York:
totonnos pizza

dirty water dog

Egg cream

katz deli

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
scrapple

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
Add Grimaldi's to New York... and Long Island bagels.

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hog Maw, basically the German version of Haggis. Meat, potatoes, spices, in a pig gut and baked.
Slippery Pot Pie.
Apple Dumplings
Chicken Corn Soup

Tastykakes. Junk food, local in Pa and NY I think.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Butte Montana...
Pasty..basically a meat pie turned into a big pierogi...meat, potatoes, and onions wrapped in a pastry shell and smothered in brown gravy....good and filling Freaking good...
Pork Chop Sandwich or WOP CHOP I don't know what hellspawn created these damn things...They are hugely popular out here dunno why...a breaded and deep fried porkchop, pickles, onions, cheese, and yellow mustard on a bun. I found it puke inducing

GoCamels

Hark the sound of Tar Heel voices...
Aug 19, 2005
Graveyard Of The Atlantic
North Carolina = barbecue (NO dipshit, not what you think cooking on a grill is)

Eastern NC style...chopped shoulder or Boston butt with a vinegar and red pepper sauce

Western NC style...chopped with a more tomato based vinegar sauce

that mountain, South Carolina shit with a yellow mustard sauce is just retarded

Ohio = a tenderloin...it's a deep fried, chopped beef, pounded flat, about the size of a Little League catchers mitt on a bun

Florida Keys = conch fritters, at least they were more localized to just there when I was there in the 80s

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Pennsylvania
Hog Maw, basically the German version of Haggis. Meat, potatoes, spices, in a pig gut and baked.
Slippery Pot Pie.
Apple Dumplings
Chicken Corn Soup

Tastykakes. Junk food, local in Pa and NY I think.
Forgot John Cope's Creamed Corn

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Philadelphia:
"Pat's King of Steaks" Obviously just the best cheese steak anywhere.
Not by a long shot. That, along with Geno's is a tourist spot. Between the two, go for Geno's.

Try Tony Luke's, Jim's, or Steve's Prince of Steaks. All three of them are far better than the South Philly tourist joints.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Not by a long shot. That, along with Geno's is a tourist spot. Between the two, go for Geno's.

Try Tony Luke's, Jim's, or Steve's Prince of Steaks. All three of them are far better than the South Philly tourist joints.
always been a fan of Abners

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
RI seems to pride themselves on coffee milk

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY

Tony Luke's #1 hands down.
always been a fan of Abners
Hahah we used to have Abners when my cousin was at UPenn.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
All American Burger Massapequa NY...

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Idaho = an elk, grilled

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Jim's is the best to me, and the people working there are always fun.

Also, with jersey. Although it's in other states, pork roll. And the "jersey burger" burger with pork roll egg and cheese on top.

To add to NY - Grey's Papaya

Suicidebree

Two, Zero, Two Infantry
Dec 20, 2004
Jersey
Wow, I cant believe I forgot pork roll. Greatest food ever.

I wasnt sure if I should go with grimaldi's or totonnos. one of the old charcoal places.
also in the city the doughnut factory and formerly piesanos

I didnt like Tony luke's, big pat's fan.

I loved giordanos stuffed sausage and spinach. great stuff. I've actually ordered it throught the mail since then.

Also on a roadtrip, not necessarily a regional thing, but you gotta eat at a cracker barrel and a waffle house at some point in life.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
There is a Freaking Awesome! restaurant in Sturbridge Mass.

The Publick House...
Who knew apple pie with cheddar cheese could be a good taste combination for breakfast?
Oh yeah Grizzley Adams is buried there

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
This thread is amazing... I'm FUCKING STARVING.

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005

The Pittsburgh
Cole slaw, fries, roast beef, tomatos, cheese, on a sourdough bread.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Wow, I cant believe I forgot pork roll. Greatest food ever.
Also on a roadtrip, not necessarily a regional thing, but you gotta eat at a cracker barrel and a waffle house at some point in life.
Fun Fact: there is/was a Cracker Barrel in Shark River Hills NJ...dunno if it was part of the chain...

FullBallz

in your mouth
Mar 5, 2006
North Arlington, NJ
Rutt's Hutt in Clifton, NJ has the best hot dogs I've ever had in my life. I always grab about 15 dogs before every Giants game and head on over to the tailgate and they're gone in 10 minutes.

Nelly's in West Long Branch got me thorugh many a-night at college. It's a knock off of the Greasetrucks but it's an outstanding knock off. Fat Willie or Fat Nights for me. There was always an unwritten rule that you had to order Nelly's past midnight. It's just that kind of food. The Windmill (hot dogs) was another staple in college but I never thought it was that great.

Drake's cakes rule here in the Northeast. Yankee Doodles and Coffee Cakes rock the fat ass.

Also Boylan's. They have some bitchin' Black Cherry, Birch Beer, and Cream Soda. Not sure if it's just a tri-state area thing or if it's other places too.

Been to Primante's in Pitt but wasn't a fan of the sandwich. Looked good though.

I'm going to San Francisco in February. Any food joints/local dishes I should check out? Please hold the gay jokes.

Also going to Montreal in March. Any help there would be cool.

You guys should check out this show on the Food Network. It's called "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives." This guy goes all through the country checking out the local fare. Great show and it makes me want to go around the country checking these places out all the time.